Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pre race nerves
  • alwillis

Anyone else suffer before a big event?

I’m racing challenge Weymouth on Sunday (my second ironman) and I seem to be constantly worrying about it the last few days, stressing over the weather (not normally something that bothers me) and kit (all settled and organised already).

What’s the best way to force myself to relax, do a couple of easy sessions and eat and sleep well this week?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have a beer 😉

Get plenty, I just make sure I have everything sorted and ready to go.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Write some lists for kit? Maybe make a plan for different weather conditions so you know what you’re going to do whatever the weather.

Not really one to be offering advice though, I just have to think about an upcoming race and I need to rush to the loo 😳

jonba
    Free Member

For me routine works, obviously you don’t have a chance to build one in one event.

So you could try a checklist/plan so you can stop thinking about it. Decide what you need to do before the race and then write it down. That way you won’t stress that you may have forgotten something.

Obsessive organization helps too. I always run through kit, equipment, clothes and food the night before a race. Have a contingency. I prepare for the forecast but think, what will I do if it changes and becomes wet/hot etc. Again, often not necessary but I find doing something is better than nothing when it comes to nerves.

I’d do a few easy sessions. Before bike races I’ll normally go out on a club ride the day before. Company and riding is distracting and it makes my legs feel better to have an easy spin out. Club runs are ideal as the pace is limited by other people but there is still the odd opportunity for a short hard effort at the café sprint to loosen the legs.

eddie11
    Free Member

Embrace the nerves. It’s the body’s natural reaction to a big event. It’s to help you be on your toes and be alert. It’s so cave men didn’t get eaten by a lion when they were hunting for lunch.

You’ll never get rid of them so focus on making sure you’ve got the basics right like training and kit and eating. Do those right (or even if you haven’t make your peace with the fact it’s too late now so you are competing with what you have got) and you’ve just got to worry about doing it right on the day.

nickjb
    Free Member

Only way not to worry is not to care, but if you don’t care then there’s not really much point taking part. Just embrace it. It makes the competing and any success that much more sweet. Even the pros get nerves.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Pre race nerves’ is closed to new replies.