Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Pre-election war?
  • withersea
    Free Member
    shermer75
    Free Member

Sells papers too. What’s not to like?

jota180
    Free Member

Often?

I can only think of 82 – what other UK examples are there?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

War is good for everyone lots of cash flowing, about time to blow up all the stuff that got rebuilt last time.

IanMunro
    Free Member

We could have a war against terror!
    Oh.

mtbfix

History repeats. Another war to try and fail to correct the mistakes made when we meddled in the affairs of others.

Sandwich

Our (I use the term loosely) government is insane (doing the same thing in the same way and expecting a different outcome insane).

NO! CAMERON, JUST NO!

ohnohesback
    Free Member

The risk Cameron takes in sounding so belicose is drawing attention to his lack of means of doing anything. It would be rather ermbarrassing to be reminded of the cuts to the carrier, Harrier, and Nimrod forces which happened during the tenure of this government.

flatfish
    Free Member

To be fair to the Tories, they’ve only been finishing off the wars that labour got us embedded in with the exception of Libya which was only air assets.
    I can’t think of any others off the top of my head.

Duffer
    Free Member

cuts to the carrier, Harrier, and Nimrod forces

And Tristar. And VC10. And C130K.

To be fair though, these platforms were well past their sell-by date. The Nimrod is basically a modified De Havilland Comet – the world’s first jet airliner – which is an aircraft from the 1940s. They should all have been replaced decades ago.

Flaperon

“SEND THE AIRCRAFT CARRIERS!”

“Oh.”

IMHO the less military might we have the better since it specifically prevents us meddling with the affairs of others.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Could this be the most justified of all the recent wars though ?

stoffel
    Free Member

IMHO the less military might we have the better since it specifically prevents us meddling with the affairs of others.

Agreed. Trouble is, we’re at least partly responsible for the current situation in Iraq, and our economy benefits from UK-based weapons manufacturers selling stuff to the likes of Assad etc, so we are now morally obliged to help sort the situation out. It’s a disgusting mess that shoould never hve been allowed to happen, and onof it’s mainarchitects,Tony Blair, walks free having become incredibly wealthy off the back of it. And we, as a society, alow this to happen. Shame on us all.

slowoldman

Could this be the most justified of all the recent wars though ?

What? Because now non-muslims are being killed?

Dave does seem to have his serious face on there though.

gobuchul
    Free Member

What? Because now non-muslims are being killed?

No. Because ISIS is a revolting, murderous, evil organisation.

Al Qaeda disowned them for being too extreme. That’s quite an achievement.

The “West” should arm the opposition and perform as many air strikes on them that is required to destroy them.

There are some incredibly shocking videos on-line, published by ISIS, showing mass murder. I wouldn’t recommend watching them, it’s a case of what has been seen cannot be unseen.

ratherbeintobago

And Tristar. And VC10.

Weren’t those replaced by the Voyager fleet, which unlike the VC10/Tristars doesn’t do things like go U/S halfway down the runway at Brize?

v666ern
    Free Member

weren’t those replaced by the voyager fleet

What Jean luc Picard and Star Trek?

ratherbeintobago

What Jean luc Picard and Star Trek?

Sadly, not quite that exciting – the Voyager is a rebadged Airbus A330

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because ISIS is a revolting, murderous, evil organisation.

In contrast with Saddam Hussein who was an okay sort of guy ?

ratherbeintobago

In contrast with Saddam Hussein who was an okay sort of guy ?

George Galloway MP appears to think that.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

This thread fails as I really cant see another war in Iraq being a massive vote winner.

rureadyboots
    Free Member

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

George Galloway MP appears to think that.

Oh dear, someone has been listening to the pro-war lobby.

“I have met Saddam Hussein exactly the same number of times as Donald Rumsfeld met him. The difference is that Donald Rumsfeld met him to sell him guns and to give him maps the better to target those guns. I met him to try and bring about an end to sanctions, suffering and war, and on the second of the two occasions, I met him to try and persuade him to let Dr Hans Blix and the United Nations weapons inspectors back into the country – a rather better use of two meetings with Saddam Hussein than your own Secretary of State for Defense made of his”.

George Galloway, Testimony before the US Senate on May 17, 2005.

binners

Just nuke the Middle East from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

somafunk

If you are genuinely serious in that statement binners then i fear for the parental guidance and upbringing of any children you may have, when i was 16 (1988) my Aunt took me to Afghanistan to meet the people she stayed with when she travelled there on a vespa in the late 60’s, since then i have travelled back to certain areas of the country along with Pakistan and i can say that i never once felt out of place nor at threat in any way possible.

I’d far rather nuke or selectively cull most of the western population, i’d start with vast swathes of the USA to begin with.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Collecting up all the Isis fighters into one spot and nuking them would be ok though, surely?

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

So anyway right… you know how Obama (perhaps with the help of a slightly coy UK) has been using drones on a fairly regular basis for ‘targeted kills’ in a variety of countries; is that war, or just heavy global policing?

Could drones be the solution here, reducing casualties to a minimum and only nailing the extremely nasty types…

Better still, could we just leave it to the US to clean up this time, given their vast military spending, surely they have the hardware to sort this mess

Or best solution I can think of; if they reassigned the money currently set aside for military hardware to instead fund aid and encourage leisure for all involved in the conflict, perhaps they could rehabilitate all the baddies into fine young men, who skip merrily with unicorns and trade oil for Mcdonalds vouchers and Coca-cola

slowoldman

Careful with the nuking. we need that oil.

Oh and jivehoneyjive makes me think perhaps it’s not so surprising that some of the young are marginalised, given that the option is McDonalds and Coke.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

You want fries wid dat?

benji
    Free Member

No. Because ISIS is a revolting, murderous, evil organisation.

Shimano bottom bracket standards you just can’t trust them 😆

I’m more concerned by the posturing of russia/ukraine issue, than the middle east dust bowl that has rumbled on since bible times.

wilburt
    Free Member

Probably more useful for our county and town councils to stop supporting Muslim extremists who preach thinly veiled hate and raise money in the UK to fight for a caliphate in the Middle East.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you are genuinely serious in that statement binners then i fear for the parental guidance and upbringing of any children you may have

he may just have been a teeny weeny bit facetious 💡

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

That is a fair point wilburt, hate is the basis of many problems; the real solution is to get to the bottom of where all this hate has stemmed from… I reckon if members of my family had been killed during an illegal war started on false pretenses, I’d be pretty passionate and incensed.

The only route to a lasting peace is redemption and understanding, but that isn’t very good for selling weapons or manipulating the oil market.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…the middle east dust bowl that has rumbled on since bible times.

The Middle East had 600 years of peace and stability under the Ottomans.

And everyone had somewhere to store their blankets.

benji
    Free Member

The Middle East had 600 years of peace and stability under the Ottomans.

They get my vote, this election business seems easy.

slowoldman

Ooh I’m not sure anyone had to vote them in.

CountZero

I’d far rather nuke or selectively cull most of the western population, i’d start with vast swathes of the USA to begin with.

It probably worth pointing out that vast swathes of the US are incredibly sparsely populated, so all you’ll be doing is irradiating an awful lot of rather attractive scenery and an awful lot of innocent flora and fauna.
    North and South Dakota, for example have an area twice the size of France, and a population about that of South London.
    I would just constrain things to major centres of population, if I were you, much more efficient.

…an area twice the size of France…

What’s that in Waleses?

El-bent
    Free Member

Feeling distinctly uncomfortable about the Church getting involved in this because “non-muslims” shall we say are being targeted. Didn’t seem to care as much when IS were killing other Muslims.

To be fair to the Tories, they’ve only been finishing off the wars that labour got us embedded in with the exception of Libya which was only air assets.

Yes, the lesson was learned when it came to Libya. Its turned out well.

Oh, hang on…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

CBA

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Pre-election war?’ is closed to new replies.