Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Pre-cooked/packaged chicken – is it bad for you?
  • organic355
    Free Member

I often get a pack of (overpriced) chicken pieces from tescos, and chuck in a bag of salad and maybe some humus for a healthy high protein (gotta get those gains) lunch.

I do sometimes think the pre-cooked chicken like the below cant be that good for you and when I have time I will always poach my own chicken breast for lunch.

I figured the pre packaged stuff may be pumped with water, but are there any other nasties in there I should be considering?

organic355
    Free Member

jees those images are big?? must be all the water pumped into them.

Stoner
    Free Member

Yummy. I think a good deal of the UK processed chicken market comes from Thai poultry farms that you just know have outstanding animal welfare standards and wotnot….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

What are the ingredients?

I don’t see how it can be bad for you per se, just becuase it’s cooked en masse and packaged – no doubt some anxious type will disagree.

grtdkad

Stoner that is grim. Truly grim.

bearnecessities

Stoner 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Home-style goodness, apparently!

nickjb
    Free Member

They are usually battery chickens, never seen a free range option. Maybe not that bad for you but not great for the chickens.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Doubt that it’s bad for you but it would be nice if it tasted of chicken once in a while.

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a fair bit of salt in that Mexican chicken. Luckily it’s all in half of the pack.

kayak23

What makes you say it’s overpriced? It’s underpriced, largely why we have such utterly appalling animal welfare conditions to satisfy the meat-hungry wallets of this world.
    Is it bad for you? Probably. Cheap, processed, thoughtless rubbish.

pondo

I love – love – pre-cooked chicken thighs. Mmm, chicken….

zilog6128

I don’t buy them personally. As above, low-grade chicken from unknown sources. You have no idea how old/fresh it is, no doubt it is full of preservatives. I wonder if they fill the packet with nitrogen to keep it “fresh” the same as they do with fruit salads. Not a big fan of pre-packaged salad for similar reasons.

I always have take a tin of tuna when I want something extra with my salad. Fresher, plus you know where it’s come from & what’s in it.

organic355
    Free Member

I always have take a tin of tuna when I want something extra with my salad. Fresher, plus you know where it’s come from & what’s in it.

Hope thats Line caught tuna? Not overfished, trawled in dolphin killing nets, full of mercury tuna? 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Just be selective about where it comes from. Buy british at the very least, we do have *some* standards, and welfare will be higher than the eastern european chicken.

Pork/Bacon too, EU pork can mean awful awful conditions for the pigs, where they don’t even have room to move, and their legs waste away so they can’t stand up. It’s horrific. Again buy British if you can, and free range even better. Pigs are super intelligent. 🙁

As for it harming you, I guess it’s all about salt content and suchlike etc. I can’t see the chickens being fed the best of foods if they’re battery birds so that will filter through the food chain…

eskay

I get some chicken breasts, cut into strips and marinate overnight with:

Juice of a lemon
    Juice of an orange
    Chilli powder
    About 5 crushed garlic cloves
    Pinch mixed herbs
    Pinch oregano
    Pinch turmeric

Grill and you have got some tasty chicken to take in your lunch box for most of the week.

I tend to avoid the pre-cooked stuff.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

What makes you say it’s overpriced? It’s underpriced, largely why we have such utterly appalling animal welfare conditions to satisfy the meat-hungry wallets of this world.
    Is it bad for you? Probably. Cheap, processed, thoughtless rubbish.

It’s overpriced by volume. You could get far more for meat for your money by buying a chicken and roasting it to add to your salads at the start of the week. You could also buy free range. However, when you add in the producers labour, cooking costs, packaging etc it’s probably not.

bearnecessities

Doesn’t the mercury levels of tuna remain the same due their diet; irrespective of whether it’s trawled or tickled vigorously out of the sea?

mogrim

I wonder if they fill the packet with nitrogen to keep it “fresh” the same as they do with fruit salads.

That’s certainly a worry, I only breathe using 21% of my mouth to avoid the nasty, nasty nitrogen.

zilog6128

That’s certainly a worry, I only breathe using 21% of my mouth to avoid the nasty, nasty nitrogen.

😀 I’m not saying nitrogen is a bad thing! Just that it might be another trick to serve up “fresh” food that could really be months old.

Doesn’t the mercury levels of tuna remain the same due their diet; irrespective of whether it’s trawled or tickled vigorously out of the sea?

I think it depends on the type of tuna. Skipjack (which is the most common tinned tuna) has the lowest. Not even sure it’s possible to buy non-dolphin friendly tuna in a UK supermarket these days. If you are really bothered you could have tinned salmon instead!

chrismanc
    Free Member

Did no one see that hugh FW program trying to get ppl to eat free range chicken? The standards of some british farms are horrendous too. I think its on netflix.

Imo life gives life..if you know what I mean. Theres not much life in them chickens sat in there own crap all there “life”.

organic355
    Free Member

If you are really bothered you could have tinned salmon instead!

Wont somebody think of the bears!!! cant be stealing their dinner

Saccades
    Free Member

I wonder if they fill the packet with nitrogen to keep it “fresh” the same as they do with fruit salads. Not a big fan of pre-packaged salad for similar reasons.

Wrong on so many levels, packing in N2 doesn’t make something out of date “fresh”, it’s not colouring mechanically reclaimed meat pink for example – it just massively reduces the ability of bugs to start decomposing stuff due to the lack of oxygen. In a similar way to freezing stuff straight away.
    It’s a preservation technique, not a reverse/hiding degrading technique. N2 is literally all around you all day and does nothing bad to you (excludes deep sea diving) what with it being very inert and all that.
    As for picking tuna for freshness… I’m sure that factory ship way out in the seas races back at high speed with its first and only catch to keep it fresh, and then the tin is raced from the factory to your supermarket shelf where you pick it up and use it quicker than you would with pre-packed chicken.
    Same issues for salmon as tuna, except you have more chance of a mass farmed fish from S.America that is pumped full of antibiotics and troubled with lice.

Christ, I’ve bitten haven’t I – Troll.

zilog6128

Interesting points. Personally I am happier with canning as a preservation technique, I will look into it in more detail though!

molgrips
    Free Member

I would far rather have stuff packed in Nitrogen than just about any other technique. Canning can introduce metals from the can or that nasty cancerous stuff from the lining plastic, forget its name. BPA is it?

Nitrogen could not be considered nasty by even the most paraniod hippie, surely?

Anyway, to answer the OP, you do realise they print the ingredients on packs of food don’t you?

ell_tell
    Free Member

I thought the problem with eating vast quantities of tinned tuna due to the effects of bioaccumulation, being as they are high up in the food chain and long lived?

bigjim

If you’ve ever seen footage of a canned tuna factory you wouldn’t be quite so keen on it, though I still eat it occasionally.

That chicken will be horrible low welfare muck pumped full of antibiotics. Buy freedom food rated free range meat as a minimum.

And if you enjoy ‘fish sticks’, well they are made from the fish that has too many parasitic worms in the flesh to sell whole, so it gets mashed up into fish sticks. Mmm mmm! They are still quite tasty though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a problem eating parasitic fish worms?

grum
    Free Member

And if you enjoy ‘fish sticks’

Do you like fishsticks?

Shorty12
    Free Member

That program of Hugh FW isn’t exactly the truth. It shows him killing chicks in his system due to lameness. He blames it on the commercial system but he actually caused this by not drying the poultry shed out before the chicks arrived. He states while washing it out he only has an hour until they arrive.

crikey
    Free Member

Two possible solutions;

a) Have cheese instead.
    b) Have chips.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Pre-cooked/packaged chicken – is it bad for you?’ is closed to new replies.