Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pre-Christmas family mini-break ideas…?
  • freeagent
    Free Member

Would like to get away for 3 or 4 nights just before Christmas. Me, the Mrs and two daughters aged 8 and 5.
    We went to Disneyland Paris last Christmas but don’t quite want to spend that much again.
    We’re in North Kent and can either drive or fly.
    I’d been thinking Edinburgh or Glasgow (or both) but not sure the kids will get enough out of it.
    Anyone got any ideas? Either of things for the kids to do in Edinburgh/Glasgow or somewhere else to go?

Cheers,
    Matt.

midlifecrashes

Doncaster

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve been to Doncaster. It is the kind of place you drive through on your way to somewhere nicer.. ;o)

Mackem

Malaga. Bit of winter sun, it’ll be cheap too.

midlifecrashes

Actually it’s the kind of place the government decided no one should even have to drive through on the way to somewhere nicer and built a whacking great bypass long before any motorways in the north.

However, if you had kids of 8 and 5 and spent a day at Yorkshire Wildlife Park, a day at Sundown Adventureland and a day at the Deep (Hull), you’d be a very popular dad.

mogrim

Madrid’s quite fun at Christmas, with a Christmas fair and other stuff going on, and good for a long weekend (but not much longer).

midlifecrashes

Hijack, just looking at Madrid for a week in July, any tips on where to rent an apartment for 5?

BillMC

Try AirBnB.

ampthill

My kids were older when did Edinburgh. I thought it was great. We rented a flat, which you can do for by the night. We were right in the centre. It was easy to walk to loads of attractions which I’m sure would appeal to kids of your age. The best was the camera obscura. We also got the bus out to the zoo. The whole trip was cheap and we went February half term. I think all 4 flights were £150. The flat was good value but I don’t remember how much. But with kids a flat is easy and makes catering as cheap as you like

cloudnine
    Free Member

Somewhere near where hora lives so you can drive slowly up the hills

northernmatt

Edinburgh is ace. Lots to do. It may be a bit grim in December though depending on weather. Zoo, Camera Obscura, Our Dynamic Earth, loads of museums. Then you can go down to Leith and have a mooch round Britannia.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Copenhagen? Will be cold though
    or

freeagent
    Free Member

Ironically Bruges was the other idea I had.. There are some nice flats on airbnb in Bruges as well..
    Thanks for the ideas so far. Will investigate Bruges a bit more..

mogrim

Hijack, just looking at Madrid for a week in July, any tips on where to rent an apartment for 5?

Sorry, just seen this – No idea, I’m afraid, although something like a “casa rural” wouldn’t be that expensive.

But: Why a week in Madrid? Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy enough living here, but the city itself hasn’t got that much to entertain a tourist. The art museums are world class, there’s a water park, it’s a nice place to visit with some great bars etc… for a few days. But probably not a week.

Mackem

Day trips to Toledo, Segovia and Avila fro Madrid would be nice, even to sevilla on the Ave.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pre-Christmas family mini-break ideas…?’ is closed to new replies.