Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Praise for the NHS from a users perspective
  • tjagain

Usually I am defending the NHS from a workers perspective. Today its from a users perspective.

MY parents are in their 80s and although very fit for their age they do have some health issues.

Last night I got a worried phone call from my mother at 10.30pm. Dad was unwell. She described the symptoms and my advice was “NHS 24 NOW!” She phoned NHS 24, well under an hour a GP was at the house, within 30 mins after that an ambulance was there and the paramedics had him on oxygen and a drip up, by not long after midnight he is in the local hospitals ARU ( acute receiving unit) being assessed.

His condition was not life threatening ie he did not need a 999 ambulance but he did need urgent treatment. It couldn’t wait until the morning.

Mother is delighted at the professionalism of all concerned. The system worked as it should and he got the treatment he needed in the timescale that was appropriate without diverting emergency services.

Superb job from the staff. I’d like to put a little praise the way of those professionals who sorted him out and those who have organised such an effective service. Thanks folks – my taxes being well spent.

Drac

Great stuff hope he recovers soon.

tjagain

Ta Drac – he should be fine. It looks like proper flu on top of asthma and other lung weakness so he should be 100%

Mum was particularly impressed with the paramedics work – real teamwork she said, cheerful and helpful and got my dad – a fairly big chap down some awkward stairs with no complaint.

Drac

Flu is bloody awful.

Aye like 99.9% they just get on and enjoy their job making sure the clients get the best they can.

Esme
    Free Member

Just to add another story:
    My mum was full of praise for the paramedics, when she fell down some steps at Alnwick Castle a couple of years ago. She takes warfarin, so it was a bit messy . . .

Drac

Cheers Esma that’s my patch.

funkmasterp

I’ll chime in too. The staff at Macclesfield (A&E and Children’s Ward) are brilliant. Despite being massively over worked they do their best. We’ve been unfortunate to require their services a lot over the last few years. It really pisses me off when people have a go at the NHS. The staff do exceptional work under very trying circumstances.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Of my many trips over me and the kids to A&E, docs, cancer surgery etc they have never been anything but excellent.

matt_outandabout

Another one here.

Last week brother in law has massive stomach pain at home. He moved up 6 months ago, and hasn’t registered with a doctor yet up here.

Again NHS24 and local doc combine to sort an appointment within 3hrs. Kidney stones. All sorted, no ambulance or big hospital visit, just docs at Bridge of Allan going out of their way to help.

tjagain

Esme – Member

………. She takes warfarin, so it was a bit messy . . .

Is this the understatement of the year for STW?

funkmasterp

Same thing as above happened to my Gran (also on warfarin). I didn’t know it had happened and called around after work one night. Used my key, walked in and honestly thought both my grandparents had been murdered 😯

Blood stains all up the walls in the hallway and an overturned table (she’d cracked her head on it when she fell from the top).

slowoldman

I’ve just read “This is Going to Hurt” by Adam Kay. By turns very funny and very depressing. A very sobering account of the huge demands placed on the NHS as a whole and in particular the staff.

juanking

Without them this post wouldn’t exist. I’ll never moan about paying tax ever again. Thanks to all.

martymac

Glad your dad is going to be ok.
    I will echo your dads experience, i fell at work on the 29th of December, broke my leg just above the ankle.
    My supervisor called for an ambulance, I can’t remember how long it took to arrive, but it didn’t feel like it was that long, the crew were great, got me in to PRI (perth) and i was given the appropriate treatment.
    Every single member of the staff i met were superb.

obelix
    Free Member

The NHS is very good for emergencies / acute medicine. But pretty dire for treating chronic conditions and long-term illness.

tjagain

Dad is being kept in tonight. Its flu complicated by his preexisting lung condition and dehydration. Edge of delerium last night probably due to the high temp. O2 levels too low to allow him out tonight. It will be fun tho as being old folk they have to do an assessment that home is ok before they let him out IIRC. They have already asked him if he can get upstairs on his own. He walked 10 miles round liathach last summer in the rain at 82 with one and a half lungs.

tjagain

obelix – some long term conditions the NHS is very good at – diabetes care is pretty good I think

Drac

That’s nice to hear TJ.

And yeah I’m not sure that’s quite right obelix, it’s not perfect no, but the amount people walking around living longer even with chronic ilnesses is pretty evident that they do that well too.

rene59
    Free Member

I’ve never seen anything other than good service from the NHS, either myself as a user or much more often accompanying family members. Don’t know if I’ve just been lucky or if the seemingly state of things is vastly over exaggerated but well done to all those people who do a great job.

fossy

The Spinal Unit at my local hospital looked after me very well for over 6 weeks, a couple of years ago. Thankfully I can walk and cycle again.

Farking car drivers !

hodgynd
    Free Member

I have nothing but praise for the healthcare / treatment I have received from my local surgery / paramedic & hospital when needed.
    First class ..

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Good to hear TJ, best of wishes. Spend time with your family now instead of reading our idiotic posts.

tjagain

they are 60 miles away and are hardly ever at home – 5 holidays they have planned between now and june

bruneep

4hrs and waiting for someone to see my dad. Beginning to be not impressed.

gauss1777
    Free Member

Good to hear NHS being appreciated. By coincidence, I worked in that unit for 10 years when ERI was at the Meadows, great people.
    ‘Flu is really nasty, it doesn’t help that so many people diagnose themselves with the ‘flu, when all they have is a bad cold. I have heard of two people who have died this month from it.

mattyfez

Genuine question, how does one differentiate between a bad cold and flu, I’ve had very bad colds before where I’ve basically been unable to leave bed for a few days aside from going to the bog and getting glasses of water, with hot and cold sweats, shivering etc.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

…. hot and cold sweats and being unable to do anything….exactly the same sympyoms as me…. I’ve been hit twice.. hard.. this year…. once in Seotember which developed into Pneumonia…. then again around boxing day.

stuc
    Free Member

With regards to long term chronic conditions I can only praise the NHS from my experiences with Ulcerative Colitis. Appreciate others may not have the same experience but I’d happily pay more taxes if it was guaranteed to be ring fenced to bring standards up to what Ive experienced across the board.

vickypea
    Free Member

In my experience of the NHS in Macclesfield is excellent for counselling and mental health, not so hot on migraine.

tjagain

Bruneep wherabouts are you and who / what did you call? there might be ways to kick them into action.

Flu – if you have had flu you will know. If you re not sure its a cold. flu will put you into bed for many days even a week or two completely unable to do anything.

keefmac

I have Hypothyroidism and i’m also Type 1 diabetic, diagnosed 2 1/2 years ago at 41. Darlington Memorial Hospital and my GP surgery have been great. The NHS is fantastic.

bruneep

In “admission corridor” of admission assement ward. Dad got sent to hospital by gp.

frankconway

I’ve had no bad experiences with the NHS – ever – and some have been very positive.
    Most recent was hand/arm surgery at Derby (Pulvertaft hand centre) on Saturday – extended waiting time but Saturday is not a scheduled surgery day and I have nothing but the highest regard for NHS staff so hanging about in a waiting room is insignificant; after a stitch popped and caused some bleeding on Saturday night I went to Lincoln hospital A&E on Sunday – some hanging around in a waiting room but that was expected.
    Service was smiley, efficient, considerate.
    If you work in the frontline NHS I salute you.
    If you criticise the NHS, you’re probably in a small minority.

tjagain

Right – not a lot you can do then. Sorry to hear that dude. England I take it? We are in Scotland were its not so bad here.

bruneep

Aberdeen TJ

tjagain

Hope you don’t wait too much longer. Its the not knowing how long that gets annoying

Drac

Hope you’re sorted soon Bruneep, sadly yes sometimes it grinds to almost halt.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

a good friend of mine was diagnosed out of the blue 3 weeks ago with brain cancer. today her operation was cancelled 10 mins before she went in, surgeon already scrubbed up, because there wasn’t a bed for her.

all the staff have been first class. shame their funding isn’t.

frankconway

Have just read ‘Do no harm’ by Henry Marsh, a retired brain surgeon.
    What a great read – humanity, tough decisions, operating successes and failures, frustration with NHS bureaucracy.
    Suggest you read it.

bruneep

He’s got a bed and seen by jnr dr. No more I can do now he’s in the hands of NHS.
    Off homefor something to eat and up for work in a few hrs.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Praise for the NHS from a users perspective’ is closed to new replies.