Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Practically free car
  • hammerite
    Free Member

So we put an initial deposit down to secure an order for a new car at a main dealer a couple of weeks ago, which we collected yesterday evening. I turned up with my cheque book (this is what they’d asked me to take), a debit card and some ID for the finance part of the vehicle hire (a PCP deal).

Anyway we went through the finance questions and I signed a few forms. He handed over the car keys to me and he went round some of the features before I went on my way. It then dawned on me at about 10pm last nigh (about 5 hours later) that apart from the initial deposit a couple of weeks ago I haven’t paid a penny more. At no point did he ask for a cheque or to pay by card for the rest of the deposit, nor did he ask me for any bank details. He didn’t even ask to see any of my ID.

So I’ve driven out of a main dealer with a brand new car and only paid £500 for it! It was remarkably easy.

Now I’m never expecting not to pay the rest. I’ve not had chance to call the guy today and let him know about his mistake, but in the same respect he’s not tried to call or email me! I don’t want to get him in the sh!t with his sales manager as the sales guy is quite a nice bloke. But part of me is curious to see how long it takes for him to realise and contact me!

cyclistm
    Free Member

have you not signed up to finance for the rest of the value of the car?

TheFlyingOx

It’s more common than you think. We bought a house two years ago, 6 figure sum was the asking price. We went over some forms with the bank and then paid a couple of thousand stamp duty to the solicitor but that was it, and they just handed us the keys no questions asked! Pure mugged them off we did.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

You not payed mortgage yet?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d be re-reading your paperwork.

Sounds like you’ve set up a finance deal of some kind, so expect regular payments to come out of your bank each month?

hammerite
    Free Member

Cyclistm – I’ve signed some forms, but they don’t have any of my bank details to take any payments from!

cyclistm
    Free Member

Whilst its tempting to wait and see what happens, I think i’d be on to the dealership first thing tomorrow as if it was me I’d be bound to get stung with additional fees or interest for missed payments or something else. either way, it would cost me a bomb.

You might be luckier than me though 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Maybe he didn’t work there and just pocketed £500 for giving you a set of keys!

legend
    Free Member

Might as well give yourself a months payment holiday before phoning to enquire about when your first payment is due (in an innocent tone of course)

hammerite
    Free Member

The funny thing is, he was talking about payment dates and if the payment date wasn’t convenient I could change it etc…

I’ll leave it until Saturday to call as weekdays are a bit manic at the moment.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

As fun as leaving it sounds…

I swapped banks a while ago and got a new credit card too, in the branch setting everything thing up including the direct debit for the credit card. Off on holiday later that month and came home to find a couple of nasty letters, a fee for late payment and the credit limit cut in half. Apparently it can take the bank who you bank with and give you the credit card up to 2 months to set up the direct debit… Quality

garage-dweller

I

nedrapier

I’ll leave it until Saturday to call as weekdays are a bit manic at the moment.

But then you’re into Christmas, really, and even numbered years are always a bit full-on. See how it goes.

martinhutch

I would advise you to get it sorted pronto. Finance companies have lots of tools to not only make sure they get their money (and probably some extra too), but also to make your life miserable in the process.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I turned up with my cheque book (this is what they’d asked me to take), a debit card and some ID for the finance part of the vehicle hire (a PCP deal).

Anyway we went through the finance questions and I signed a few forms

But if you took your cheque book and debit card then that’ll have your account number and sort code on it. And if you’ve signed ‘finance forms’ then surely that must have had your details on it.

hammerite
    Free Member

The debit card and cheque book do indeed have my details on. But they stayed in my pocket the whole time, he never asked to see them! The “forms” I signed were using a digital pad and pen thing. I think the guy just completely skipped filling out the finance forms properly and just gave me the keys. You would think that as everything else was digital something would have been flagged up in the process as he tried to approve the sale/send it to the finance company. Still no call from him today!

Ned, I’m a primary school teacher, weekdays are manic at Christmas as the kids go off the scale and we have to get them ready for our school Christmas performance. We’re not allowed to use mobile phones in school. In the hours the dealership are open I had 10 mins downtime where I had the choice to eat a sandwich or go out to the van to call the dealer (I don’t even get to drive the car, the Mrs has it!). I chose a sandwich. Hence a call on Saturday morning, when I’m at home and have peace and quiet!

wrightyson
    Free Member

And teachers have no money….. (But brand new motors on the drive) 😉

Olly
    Free Member

We went over some forms with the bank and then paid a couple of thousand stamp duty to the solicitor but that was it, and they just handed us the keys no questions asked!

You might get away with it, as long as they dont know where you live….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

hammerite, these neesayers are only jealous of your situation. Do Not say a word!
    Free (ish motor innit?)

hammerite
    Free Member

Wrightson – I’ve only been teaching just over a year. I have not a lot of money each month coming in! Luckily my previous job paid more, plus the OH has been teaching quite a bit longer so has gone through the main pay scale (something I’m unlikely to do given the current climate).

MrNutt
    Free Member

paint the car with drab olive green paint, take off the number plates and if they ever come around just tell them its a large bush and its been in your garden for years. You’ll be fine.

hammerite
    Free Member

Just opened the post and V5

hammerite
    Free Member

Called the sales guy at the dealership today. His first words after “Hello,” were “I was going to call you later to see how you are getting on with the car.” He was completely oblivious to me having paid nothing on Tuesday. I think I could have gone until the end of the month when they would have coppered up and realised that they were a few £k short.

After I explained he started talking very quietly! He was very embarrassed and said he could have easily lost his job – he’s been there years too.

parkesie
    Free Member

Sounds like someone deserves some karma points and someone some new under crackers.

nedrapier

Nice one, hammerite.

It would have been crap to spend a few years driving around in “the car that chap lost his job over”!

matt_outandabout

Aye, good on you.

mrsfry
    Free Member

May your bed be filled with kittens…..or steak.

hammerite
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Ned – yes that would have been rubbish. Although I may have forgotten about it as the car is lovely to drive!

nairnster
    Free Member

I would say he owes a you a couple of free services or something for being honest.

hammerite
    Free Member

Servicing is included already, maybe we’ll get a nice Christmas card!

garage-dweller

I would suggest that filling a bed with either kittens or steak is pretty vile and whoever suggested that needs a rethink. Steak on a plate not in bed,

johndoh
    Free Member

But pussies in a bed sounds a good idea…

nairnster
    Free Member

Nice free set of winter tyres thrn perhaps?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Practically free car’ is closed to new replies.