Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • PPI claimbacks..
  • MartynS

just wondering if anyone’s done it.. I seem to be hearing far more Adverts for it and have had a few spam texts about it.

so go on.. have you and was it worth it??

wwaswas

If you’ve had a loan with PPI on it then claim away.

The banks have got the money sat there waiting to be claimed.

maccruiskeen

do it, I’m going to be doing it soon. Ignore the claims companies – the stats suggest you’re just as likely to make a successful claim on your own as you would with their ‘help’.

joao3v16
    Free Member

ditto ignore the claim companies – your bank will (should) have a perfectly good claims process in place.

The claims companies are just an extra (unnecessary) link in the chain as they have to pass your claim to the bank anyway.

And some take a % of your ‘winnings’.

crankman
    Free Member

If you’re a well organised person with records of past accounts and loans then certainly ignore the claims companies.

My Father who had literally not a scrap of paperwork from the last 10 years went with a claims company who got him 6k less 20%, for loans he didn’t even recall, so he was happy with that.

Just to add a bit of balance. As others have said, avoid claims companies if you can but if not there’s no harm in letting them try and find some compensation for you, that bit’s free.

lalazar
    Free Member

I got one of those spam texts and responded. They told me that I was owed money but the only credit card I had PPI on was nearly ten years ago. But they were adamant I had a case. So I contacted HSBC where a very helpful chap sorted everything for me and said there was no need for third party involvement and paying them 25% of the fees.
    Four weeks later got payment for just under £3k.
    I didn’t have any records of my previous credit card numbers , statement etc but under the law the bank/ finance company has to provide them. So itsup to you it only took me one phone call.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve a feeling I had PPI on a credit card years ago, but can’t find any paperwork, consensus seems to be that you should still just ring up and ask the question, they’ll tell you. Still no point using a 3rd party company.

scaled
    Free Member

I’ve submitted my claim to Barclays, just phoned up the hotline in Ireland and they sent me a questionnaire to fill out/send back.

I did that about 3 weeks ago, should hear back by the end of the month apparently.

bastards added PPI to my loan a year after i took it out!

IHN

Ignore the texts (I get loads, and I’ve never had PPI on anything).

However, if you have had PPI, then if you so wish, make a claim yourself.

FWIW, I sold a lot of PPI when I worked in a bank. Whether I ‘mis-sold’ it is a different matter, to be honest I’m not even clear what the mis-selling scandal is around PPI

D0NK

consensus seems to be that you should still just ring up and ask the question, they’ll tell you

will the banks not give you a flat refusal at first then after you’ve filled out the 30 odd page* claim form then say “oh yeah we owe you 3k”

Happy to be corrected, I’m just sceptical ringing them up and saying “do you owe me money?” will be that successful.

Mrs had PPI with a virgin card, keep trying to get her to fill the forms in.

*so someone told me.

maccruiskeen

Its worth checking through anything you’ve bought on tick. My folks had a new conservatory build the glazing co provided their own credit deal which when I was going through my dad’s estate I spotted included PPI. Crafty bastards didn’t offer an opt-in anywhere in the paperwork. I’ve got the original credit agreement they filled out and signed and PPI isn’t mentioned anywhere on the form – but look at the payments and its there. So this is PPI sold secretly to two people on occupational pension with an income that is just about as secure as it gets.

The PPI was from HFC who are / were behind lots of consumer credit facilities and they’re largely considered to be one of the worst PPI offenders, so don’t just look at your bank/credit cards/ mortgage but at large purchases like cars and computers

fadass
    Free Member

Both me and the wife did – she the lazy way (claims company) me through the info from moneysupermarket.com. I’ve had a few loans over the last 10 years so i gave it a go – downloaded the forms they said off the website and sent them back with the loan agreements i could find. I just went through my online account and got as much info as i could, but the bank can supply you with everything you need for a small fee (i think – they’re loads of info about in on the website) for the price of a stamp i got just over 6 grand back 😀 Took all told about 7 or 8 weeks form the letter being sent to the cash in the bank. I think it helped though i’ve only ever had loans with my bank….

The missus on the other hand – she got just over 2 grand back and then the company she went through took a cut of £500 for doing pretty much what i did – for the price of a stamp!!!!! Really – don’t bother with a claims company its not rocket science

hammerite
    Free Member

So those of you that have been successful… did you know you had PPI?
    Or were they speculative claims?
    Is it fraudulent to make a speculative claim (can’t see how, but thought I’d ask)?
    How far back have you gone with your borrowing and been successful?

I’ve had a loan from my bank, loan from a few other places for cars and had a few credit cards. I think I’ve always consciously turned down any sort of payment protection, but can’t be too sure. Even if I’ve turned down payment protection is there a chance I’ve had PPI cover without knowing?

martinhutch

I’m about to go down this route. PPI we were told was necessary when taking out a mortgage, sold from in-house Royal and Sun Alliance salesman. Re-mortgaged a few years back, and only recently noticed the PPI from the original loan was still being taken every month 😳

theotherjonv

Hammerite +1.

I’ve had dozens of loans over the years – furniture, cars, bikes, credit cards….. and while i think i’ve always been savvy enough to decline PPI, how do i know it hasn’t been surreptitiously added on to some loans without being given the option.

i don’t keep all the paperwork for stuff years in the past; once the loan’s paid off after a year or so it gets shredded so i can’t say with any degree of confidence even who i had loans with. makes me think a ‘speculative’ claim through a PPI company even if they take 15-30% might be worthwhile. Anyone got any suggestion about who was good?

jam-bo

I’ve had a loan from my bank, loan from a few other places for cars and had a few credit cards. I think I’ve always consciously turned down any sort of payment protection, but can’t be too sure. Even if I’ve turned down payment protection is there a chance I’ve had PPI cover without knowing?

+2

I never thought it was worth it as I’ve always turned anything like that down.

but free money sounds like a reason to start caring…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

+3 I might give this a punt too. Think I’ll let a company do it as over the last few years my life has been all over financially, changing loans, selling houses, new / old credit cards… I’ll let them sort it out and they can have their piece of the pie.

hora
    Free Member

Theres a time limit isn’t there? Back in 98 I had to accumulate my student overdraft etc into a loan and the bank charged me ALOT for payment protection- looking at the terms you literally couldn’t claim. So tough shit on the banks I say.

If it went back over 10yrs I’d do it without hesitation. From memory they got almost £400 from me without any real chance that they’d pay out for any claim.

scaled
    Free Member

As above – I’d never taken PPI out on anything, I took out a loan ~6 years ago and it’s due to be paid off next month.

I got an ‘annual statement’ through for my loan (the first one ever) and it stated that it was a loan with PPI.

I phoned the number on the letter and they confirmed that i’d not taken PPI out with the loan but couldn’t explain why the statement indicated the loan had PPI. they gave me the number of the PPI helpline who told me that the PPI had been added ~12 months after the loan had been taken out and wondered if i’d phoned up to get PPI cover added…

To my shame i’d not noticed my loan repayments going up, i’m still not great with money but no where near as bad as i was then :$

hammerite
    Free Member

TOJ, Jambo – if you’re unsure as to what loans you’ve had and who with you can do a credit check/report with someone like Experian. I did this a few months ago when I first thought about trying a PPI claim. It shows the loans/credit cards I’ve had over the past few years (I think 6 years).

But my disorganisation has led to me doing nothing so far and I have no idea where the Experian report is at the moment.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i have had a plethora of loans over the last 10 years through HSBC and a couple of credit cards but not sure of the companies involved – what can i do – anything?

0pt1cal
    Free Member

My wife had taken out a few loans over the years. Spent 15 minutes filling out the PPI claim for with her and she got £8k back after 5 weeks.

Kryton57

Can you stop the annoying texts? How?

jam-bo

My wife had taken out a few loans over the years. Spent 15 minutes filling out the PPI claim for with her and she got £8k back after 5 weeks.

how vague can you be?

most of my finance has been via barclays/barclaycard & Egg who got taken over by barclaycard.

mrben100
    Free Member

Had a loan with Northern Rock a few years ago.

They contacted me last year with a letter saying their records showed that I had a loan with them, did I want them to investigate. Supplied a return letter and SAE that I just had to sign and send back.

I ticked and sent back – a month later I received a letter saying they couldn’t determine either way so would be giving me a full refund plus the interest on the money I would have received in that time.

Although the letter did stress that it was not an admission of liability.

I literally had to do nothing and to be honest wasn’t going to do anything either. 8)

Ended up with £3100 and didn’t have to pay a penny to a claims company – although you do have to pay tax on the interest accrued

weeksy

i like most am in a position where i have absolutley NO idea if i’m entitled to anything… but i’m all up for a free lunch. Generally i decline PPI when offered… but in all honesty pay little attention as to whether i have or who my CC/loans/debts were with at any given time, there’s been many many.

I’m guessing in my case it would be easier to just go through a 3rd party, answer questions and see if anything came of it ?

Otherwise it’s an Experian report then writing to all the various companies ?

75% of something is better than 100% of £0.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

how can i find out what loans/credit cards etc i have had in the last few years? Got some paperwork but not all and a piss poor memory

weeksy

Experian/Equifax

badllama
    Free Member

Ok Well I’ve done it myself dead easy really download the standard form fill it out and all banks etc have a web site go there under contact us find there PPI address then post your claim out of 5 claims I’ve had 3 pay out a total of 10K + this includes two new bike treats in the process lol.

😀

hammerite
    Free Member

badllama has clinched it for me. I want that titanium winter bike.

weeksy

Well i’ve done the Equifax report but it’s vague, as in it only gives me certain digits of the accounts/references…

I’ll need to research more.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

IMHO there’s pros and cons of doing it yourself, certainly if you know exactly what financial products you have had, and experian/equifax can help with this, then it would seem sensible to do the paperwork yourself.

With a complicated financial product hsitory I’m going to ask a claim company to do that for me, and for that they can have a portion of any money due.

I also just looked quickly at moneysavingsexpert site to get an overview of the pros/cons and its certainly worth a look before you make a claim.

moneysavingexpert

hammerite
    Free Member

I made a call to HBOS at lunchtime with some very vague information and it seems they managed to track me down in their records. My claim have been equally vague and speculative, but they’ve said they’ll look into it.
    I’ll dig out the Experian call and give them some more firm information later now I have a reference number.

freeagent
    Free Member

So – I’ve had the same barclaycard for over 10 years.. I never take a lot of notice of the letters they write me, and generally owe it about £1500…
    I don’t ever remember taking out PPI, but no idea if any has been sneaked on?
    Where do I start?
    I’m happy to use a company if I don’t have to pay anything up front – 75% of something is better than 100% of nothing?

I get loads of texts, some with specific amounts on them – are these total bulls**t, or have they done any research?

cynic-al
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

If you’ve had a loan with PPI on it then claim away.

The banks have got the money sat there waiting to be claimed.

Erm…don’t you have to claim that it was MIS-SOLD to you?

If not, it’s fraud.

bigG
    Free Member

Done it, well the wife did all the work for me all I did was sign bits of paper. We didn’t use a claims company did it direct ourselves. Got some cash back, a lot more than I thought we would!

jam-bo

Erm…don’t you have to claim that it was MIS-SOLD to you?

as I have always actively turned it down, if I have been paying it then its fraud on their part…

stever
    Free Member

You know the banks’ll have to find a way to get all this free money back again? Probably one that’ll cost the rest of us, that had the sense to decline PPI 🙂

martinhutch

You know the banks’ll have to find a way to get all this free money back again? Probably one that’ll cost the rest of us, that had the sense to decline PPI

The ones we’ve been subsidising with our idiocy for the last decade or so, you mean?

stever
    Free Member

I never thought of it like that. Thanks, you big dunderheads 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘PPI claimbacks..’ is closed to new replies.