Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Powerpoint fail, anyone help?
  • Northwind

Struggling with an animation… Basically I have a single slide which I’ve decided would be better if it flashed a series of single words/single lines, one at a time in the middle of the screen, on a loop ideally. Getting it to pop up one word at a time and remain, slowly filling hte screen, is simple but I can’t figure out a way of doing it one at a time with each word replacing the last, short of writing about 50 different slides and just paging through those, which I don’t really want to do…

Anyone know how?

scaredypants

you can make them disappear after the next “event” (click/timed change etc) – it’s in the effects menu but varies between versions of ppt

(look for “exit effects” or something like that)

Daffy

Make sure the animation pane is open on the right and add an exit effect which is coincident with the entry effect of the next text item.

Northwind

AH, found another issue, it’s not all single words… There’ll be a fix for that but sod it, it’s good as it is. Cheers for the help!

(I wanted a big screen flashing words up behind me like at a fascist rally. BE PURE BE VIGILANT BEHAVE!)

thelinkedinman
    Free Member

The other options are either animated boxes (one over the top of the next and this way you can change font and size on each word if you want) or just use a few slides and loop it 🙂

I hate PowerPoint but sometimes you just have to do it.

James

iamtheresurrection

Do you need the animation?

I’ve never, ever seen a PP presentation that was improved by an animation. Broad, sweeping statement, I know.

geoffj

[video]http://youtu.be/MGxjIBEZvx0[/video]

matt_outandabout

. Do you need the animation?

I’ve never, ever seen a PP presentation that was improved by an animation. Broad, sweeping statement, I know.

+1

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Powerpoint fail, anyone help?

You’ve got it.

Northwind

iamtheresurrection – Member

Do you need the animation?

It stands fine without it tbh. At this section the talk and the slide will be doing slightly different things and I think it would have given it a nice balance. The content does the job by itself though.

I am fully aware that powerpoint presentations are shit btw 😆

timba
    Free Member

it’s not all single words… There’ll be a fix for that

The simplest fix is to use either a hyphen or a full-stop between words and then change the font colour of the hyphen to match the background (if it’s a solid colour)
    A hyphen is a tad wider than a space
    A-hyphen-is-a-tad-wider-than-a-space

Edit: In the edit post screen they’re the same width, but come out wider when published 😕

avdave2

I have probably sat through more PowerPoint presentations than everyone else on this forum put together. I have seen some excellent ones, all of the very best ones had one thing in common. They consisted of one slide with the speakers name on it and absolutely nothing else. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well the questions for the people in the room was a lot better when the answers could be displayed after they had answered.
    Also having sat through a lot the best ones were done by people who could present. If you can convey all the complex technical content you need without using a visual backup then go for it.
    Unfortunately power point gives people with no skills the power to make a bad presentation. It’s the workman and his tools situation.

bruneep

What he says ^^

I had to do 20 min presentation on 4 subjects at work. PP was made up of 5 slides.
    My name and 4 subject headers.I was complimented on the lack of wooshes animations etc. After sitting through numerous PPs they were glad not see that stuff.

Northwind

timba – Member

The simplest fix is to use either a hyphen or a full-stop between words and then change the font colour of the hyphen to match the background (if it’s a solid colour)
    A hyphen is a tad wider than a space
    A-hyphen-is-a-tad-wider-than-a-space

Hah, that’s ingeniously simple.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Powerpoint fail, anyone help?’ is closed to new replies.