Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PowerPod…
  • Kryton57

…anyone use one or have any experience of one like to provide a real world review / opinion please?

scaredypants

try the (massive) power meter thread – look for TiRed’s posts as I think he has one

sweaman2
    Free Member

^^What he said. I think TiRed has a couple and likes them a lot…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Last page of power meter thread has positive reviews from TiRed.

Big issue is it won’t work on a static trainer and so if you’re serious about training and power then you also need to own an expensive smart trainer.

Kryton57

I have a G3 on the turbo bike. This would be for my TT and occasionally my road bike.

TiRed

Since you have a G3, you might like to ride with it on your TT bike and couple to the PP. It will then estimate your CdA. They have now released some software that allows you to evaluate CdA in greater detail, but that feature is not cheap!

And yes I am a fan. When set up properly, it’s a great device.

As for indoor watts, unless your fan is tuned to your speed sensor, I’m not convinced they can be compared to outdoor real world watts anyway. I think that the speed sensor sending estimated power to Zwift is not a bad solution. I also think that reproducible numbers (inside or outside) are more important that absolute numbers.

I ride with the PP power, and over three hours it matches my heart rate efforts, my speed and my RPE. And the following Sunday I do the same again.

munkster
    Free Member

PowerPod here, the set up phase is a little “dense” maybe but once up and running it seems to return very responsive and believeable numbers.

The software it comes with (Isaac) is very comprehensive but a bit clunky IME but the support forum (and in particular the main guy at Velocomp) is very helpful. TiRed clearly knows a lot more about the thing than me, it’s more a novelty for me really but I’m getting better at making use of it.

Kryton57

I won’t be using it indoors. Turns out my RPE is lower than the power I could be riding at, so I need it to show my power so I can ride correctly.

Vis a vis I thought I was turning myself inside out on Saturday only to find I rode 20w less than FTP over 10.3m using RPE

TiRed

Turns out my RPE is lower than the power I could be riding at

Story of my life! I’m always taking it too easy 😉 . The PP helps keep me focussed on riding at a reproducible effort. I haven’t recorded an FTP on it yet, but I do use it to pace at 3.5 W/kg for endurance rides.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve got one, great little device for then money and I’ve no reason to doubt the figures. DC Rainmaker likes them and the only issue he had with them (cobbles) has since been resolved in a software update.

Setting them up can be a bit fiddly but the more accurate you are in the set up the more accurate your results so worth spending the time on.

I’ll second that about the support from John Hamman, the head of velocomp, if you have any issues post it on the forum and he’ll be on it straight away.

The Isaac software is great and potentially useful if you know what you’re looking for but generally interesting anyway. You might think you’re good at hiding in the pack but the numbers might well show otherwise for example. The ability to check CDA is also potentially useful, not just for tt’ers but racers in general and even normal riders if they’re serious. Being able to swap between bikes is also handy.

The powerstroke add on looks good, never used it personally but can see how it might help pedaling smoothness and efficiency especially? if combined with the CDA function and/or a bike fit.

nathb
    Free Member

It’s on my to buy list after TiReds reviews. 8)

Rorschach
    Free Member

Kryton57

Well thanks for the input – if I ever get my broken Bianchi back, It looks as thought I’ll sell the Infocrank thats currently sitting in the shed, and go for one of these and move it between my road bike andf TT bike.

@ TiRed for the TT bike – do I need the dual Garmin mount or will the standard mount work ok?

TiRed

If there is room on your base bar, then it will fit fine. Needs standard road bike diameter tube. Mine fitted ok, but then wemt a little narrower with extensions.

eskay

Kryton57 – Member

Well thanks for the input – if I ever get my broken Bianchi back, It looks as thought I’ll sell the Infocrank thats currently sitting in the shed, and go for one of these and move it between my road bike andf TT bike.

Why are you getting rid of the infocrank, I thought they were meant to be very good?

Kryton57

It is very good, but the spindle is too big to fit my TT bike – where I need it.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PowerPod…’ is closed to new replies.