Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Powermonkey/Solarmonkey
  • druidh
    Free Member

These seem to be getting some pretty good feedback. Anyone on here have one and could do me a wee favour? I'm looking to find the dimensions of the Solarmonkey once it's opened up.

Ta

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I've got one, but not with me. Prob about 20cm by 7cm opened out – ish

210mm x 72mm x 15mm

druidh
    Free Member

Ah – great it will fit in an Ortlieb map case.

I thought they didn't work so well behind glass.
    How will the clear plastic of a map case affect it ?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

210mm x 72mm x 15mm

Quite impressed by my guesstimate!

Useful money saving tip here if the code's still valid. 😉
    http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/solar-charger-for-gpspda-recommendations-please

lazlo53
    Free Member

I've got a power monkey (bought to replace a u/s freeloader) and to be honest, the panels don't seem any more capable than the fl at charging the battery. These days I just charge via mains and reckon on getting two recharges of an iPod touch from it

Divagirl
    Free Member

I've got the Xplorer – it's been great in the South of France this summer

mustard
    Free Member

druidh – did you get yours? how long did delivery take, not sure if I need to pay for next day or not as I need it by Monday.

mustard
    Free Member

Never mind, decided not to chance it and have gone for next day delivery.

footflaps

You can make your own very easily out of a USB car charger adaptor, just remove the guts and put a connector on so it plugs into a Li-ion bike light battery and you have your own Li-ion power monkey.

druidh
    Free Member

Came in a couple of days.I've not had the chance to test it "in the field" yet though. Given that the solar panels are around 50% larger than those on my previous solar charger, I'm expecting it to be more than enough.

Oh – and it fits in the map-case just fine.

mustard
    Free Member

footflaps – where do you add the solar panels? My friends will tell you that my diy electronics skills aren't up there with the best so i'm willing to spend the £35 on the ready made version.

Cheers Druidh. I thought that might be the case, I need it in my hands by Monday so thought I'd best spend the extra for next day. Still a bargain compared to rrp, with the discount code. I'll report back on how it does on my trip.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Good skills MTG top savings!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Powermonkey/Solarmonkey’ is closed to new replies.