Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Powermonkey Users..
  • vinnyeh

Anybody use one of these? Does yours charge a device while the powermonkey (Explorer btw) is being recharged, either from solar or mains?
    Mine has never worked like this, but I haven’t been bothered enough to follow it up til today, when I really could have done with that capability. I’m not sure whether it’s faulty, or not.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Not used mine for a while, but it used to. Does that help?

Stoner
    Free Member

It wont charge your device while being charged. You can of course charge your device direct from the power source that you’re using to charge the powermonkey instead. Then when thats done plug into he power monkey.

vinnyeh

You can of course charge your device direct from the power source that you’re using to charge the powermonkey instead.

Talk about missing the bleeding obvious. I was trying to use the solar panel (in this weather!)- and have just seen that it can have the adaptors plugged directly into it- I’d thought that the panels need to be run through the battery unit. Is this what you mean?

Stoner
    Free Member

If there’s enough daylight you may be able to power a low draw piece of hardware directly from the solar panels. But its very low power output.

You cant run from solar > monkey > hardware

You have to charge the monkey first. Which in this weather with the solar panel is going to take ages. The powermonkey isnt great as a solar charger, but as a reserve battery pack (when you’ve remembered to charge it from the plug/usb first vinney lad!) its excellent.

You can of course charge your device direct from the power source that you’re using to charge the powermonkey instead.

What I mean is as long as you have the monkey adaptors with you and the monkey charger you dont have to use any proprietary chargers for your devices you can use the monkey charger and the adaptors. This is what I do – i take the adaptors a 3 pin block with USB output and the spooling USB to monkey pin cable. With that lot I can charge any of the three devices (using the two adaptors i need) without having to carry around the device chargers

vinnyeh

I understand what you’re saying Stoner, that’s how I’ve normally done it- the adaptors and 3 pin are in the car glovebox. On this occasion I’d forgotten to check whether there was any charge before leaving home.

It’s a bit idiosyncratic though- I can’t top up the charge in the monkey while charging another device either, irrespective of the charge level in the monkey- it just shuts down any current delivery from the battery. I’m sure there’s a good reason for that thoug h.
    I wonder what the reason for that is?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Powermonkey Users..’ is closed to new replies.