• This topic has 6 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Powerlink or replacement pin?
  • matther01
    Free Member

Being an idiot, I accidentally pushed my chain pin all the way out on my shimano 10 speed chain.

Am I better to get some replacement shimano pins or get a kmc powerlink?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I fit a powerlink to all my chains mostly ‘cos it makes cleaning easier. So i’d say go for the powerlink.

bradley
    Free Member

I’m gonna guess you lost the pin…Just buy some more pins and don’t lose them or take another pin from a spare chain or something?

dantsw13

Google YBN quick links. A fraction of the price. Or get one from Decathlon – they are genuine KMC ones, but cheaper!

JoeG
    Free Member

KMC Missing Link from Amazon. They’re reusable. A 6 pack can be yours for $10-12. So you can throw a couple of spares in your tool kit for a trailside fix.

Note that SRAM and Shimano 10 speed use different KMC Missing Link versions as the chain width is slightly different (0.1 mm IIRC).

matther01
    Free Member

Cheers…luckily managed to get the pin back in after an hour of trying.

Will order powerlinks as suggested.

pdw
    Free Member

You don’t want to be re-using 10 speed pins anyway – works OK up to 8 speed, but not for 9 or 10. You either need to use a special Shimano re-joining pin, or a quick link, and I’d favour the latter.

There’s a good explanation of it here http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/why-do-shimano-chain-connecting-pins-exist.36698/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Powerlink or replacement pin?’ is closed to new replies.