Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Powerline adaptor speeds
  • reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I am in the process of getting Plusnet Fibre broadband installed-speed should be around 45Mbps.
    I need to use Powerline adaptors to stream FLAC files from NAS to Squeezebox and in future perhaps stream HD films from lovefilm or the like. I don’t do online gaming or anything like that but perhaps would like to futureproof. So then, what speed Powerlines do I need-200 or 500Mbps? My natural instinct is to go for the fastest but if it’s overkill for my uses then would cost more.

Flaperon

In a brand new electrical installation I achieved about 15-20Mbps using 200Mb adapters. This went up to about 40Mbps when I switched to 500Mb ones. I reckon a sensible guess is about 10% of the quoted figure in terms of true throughput. So definitely go for the 500.

I get better speeds now using a 5GHz 802.11n router and adapter in the computer.

cranberry
    Free Member

Depending on signal/distance, then you don’t *need* powerline adapters to stream FLAC to a Squeezebox – Wireless will provide enough bandwidth.

Otherwise, faster = betterer.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have used it wireless but found the ethernet connection a bit more reliable. I will give it another try when my new router is installed. It’s only the Technicolour N grade that Plusnet supply so may be a bit different to my Netgear one

frogstomp

If range is a problem you may be able to use your old wireless router to extend the range of the new one..

freddyg
    Free Member

802.11n wifi was fine for streaming FLAC audio for me. Not a chance with HD video though. I tried the 200Mb powerline adapters and they were fine with SD video but struggled with HD. I’ve just changed over to 500Mb and all is good in the world 8)

Edit: Incidentally I had better video results with the slower 802.11g than I did with 802.11n. pparently it’s something to do with the broadcast frequency and it’s ability to penetrate objects. ‘n’ will travel further with a clear line of sight, but put an object in it’s way and it degrades very easily.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I need to initially connect the router to the NAS via powerline but the Wi-Fi option to the Squeezebox is possible

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Powerline adaptor speeds’ is closed to new replies.