Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Powerful hand torch – recommendations
  • hora
    Free Member

I don’t need it for night riding. What (UK sourced) hand torch that’s light but very bright would you recommend?

v8ninety

Aldi rechargeable one. Got mine for fifteen quid, it’s got the famous aldi guarantee and you could spotlight a Junkers on a foggy night with it. Focusable and feels reassuringly solid, too.

antigee
    nbt
    johnners
    Free Member

You should get that military spec one they’re about to ban, you know, in the ad that’s been popping up on the right for about 3 months. Sounds ace but best be quick, they’re going to ban it any day now.

petec
    Free Member

bit of an investment, but I use one of these at home (country, no lights, bit dark). It’s excellent. Clas

You will need a battery and charger – which aren’t cheap – but if you’ve got more of the other tools, it’s worth it. To be honest, at the moment you might as well buy the drill, as it comes with a battery and charger, which separately cost not much less. The other work light in the range is bright enough to wake the dead – and the batteries last about 9 hours of burn time.

Comes with a 5 year warranty

maccruiskeen

You will need a battery and charger – which aren’t cheap – but if you’ve got more of the other tools

In fact thats a good time for anyone who’s already got a half decent drill driver or similar – most power tool manufactures make one or more types of torch to use with their batteries – ranging from regular torches, flourescent site light and lanterns and so on – I’ve got a head torch that runs off my makita drill driver batteries.

Bought as a bare unit they’re usually pretty cheap.

petec
    Free Member

course, with Clas, don’t forget the free delivery over 50 quid, and there’s normally a “10% off a first order” popup.

Alphabet

I just use £3 Cree Q5 torches which can be easily found on eBay or Amazon etc. Metal body and run on 1 x AA battery or you can get some that run on 3 x AAA. Bright enough to find black sheep in dark fields at night and robust enough to use in said fields in all weathers.

I’ve just bought a couple of handlebar mounts for them (£3 each) and plan to see how I get on using them for night rides.

petec
    Free Member

the £3 Q5 Cree torches – we have a few of them. Very good, very bright, but the light field is nowhere near as wide as a bigger torch.

It depends what you’re doing I guess. The smaller ones are used by the kids when going to the lavvy in the night. Or walking home from the pub (ideal to throw into a pocket). The bigger ones are used walking in the woods at night; deer spotting etc. Or during one of our many power cuts (overhead lines, trees and a lot of wind around here)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Amazon had the 3100 lumen Olight on a lightning deal the other day ,£98 I think.

Suppossed to be a really night light spread and temperature.

Can’t find a UK source for the Olight X7 but could be worth waiting for if you are wanting 9000 lumens.

somouk
    Free Member

Depends on the size you’re after.

I have an LED Lenser that has been excellent for the last few years and some friends have recently brought some and they’re great bits of kit.

Try and avoid anything with customer batteries and stuff, you’ll end up in a situation where you can’t get any eventually.

Northwind

Random ebay for me. But I’ve already got the batteries for those, probably makes less sense if you need to buy a charger.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Width or throw?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Powerful hand torch – recommendations’ is closed to new replies.