Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • powerful front light required?
  • chalky46
    Free Member

Using R2 for rear which is brilliant.

I think I mite be riding out alot over parks and trail in autum/winter. Would like a front light that lights up the path infront and has the option to blink on roads.

??

wwaswas

Any of the USE road specific lights will do this and seem to have beam patterns now designed more for road riding than mtb.

Not sure how much they’re visible from the side though but it’s an issue a lot of high power LED lamps will have.

chalky46
    Free Member

400+ lumens preferred

chalky46
    Free Member

Beautiful but slightly out of my price range. £60 max

mattbibbings
    Free Member
    nickjb
    Free Member

The £25 ebay/chinese ones are fine. Not the most robust they do the job. Plenty of threads.

Whatever you do don’t use the flash or max brightness modes on the road. It’s way to bright and distracting. Treat it like a car main beam and dip it when there is oncoming traffic or you are behind someone. Lots of idiots round here struggling to grasp that concept.

TiRed

Cateye EL 625 if you can stretch to £90. EL620 if not. I have an original Strada and it is not much more powerful than the EL620. I have a Joystick as well that I think is too powerful and direct for the road.

My son managed to not clip the EL620 on properly on Tuesday night’s club ride. After falling off the bars at 20 mph and being hit by a car, the light was fine, just a few scratches. These lights are bulletproof. I wonder if the cheap torches are as robust.

z1ppy

I’d recommend a solarstorm x2 off ebay over any of the single XML LED unit’s as per mattb’s link (were ok last year, been surpassed now). Budget for an extra/replacement battery from a UK ebayer though, as they don’t tend to be great from china (try the original before you buy another though, it might be powerful enough for your needs).

Again I’d not recommend using the flashing mode on the road, as there far too bright, just buy a cheap and cheerful normal LED jobie to do this instead.

bails

I recently got a Lezyne Superdrive XL (I paid £51 at wigggle) for commuting. It’s suprisingly powerful, rode home in the dark last night and it was plenty bright enough for unlit lanes.

kilo

I use one of the Cree lights and I’m perfectly happy using it flash mode on the roads it provides the type of warning that is necessary commuting in London and also alerts cars that you are filtering past of your prescence as it illuminates street signs etc in front of them. Only the day before yesterday I had some muppet go to cut across me but stop when illuminated by the flashing front light, I ll take a bright front light over a smidsy any day

christof
    Free Member

dx.com
    Cheap and cheerful!

verticalclimber
    Free Member

defo exposure lights for me have one one mtb and commuter, use strada on road and is fine for country lanes after work in dark, sometimes just clip on the maxxD if weather really bad

cooie

1200lm one here is good,and with UK back up.
    C and B seenl]

chalky46
    Free Member
    chalky46
    Free Member
    robbieh
    Free Member

If its what you want and you are happy to pay that much then it’s fine! Personally my £30 P7 led cheapo is starting its 3rd winter with no probs. I,m amazed its lasted so long afer reading all the negative comments on here, but 2 mates have them too as we bought at the same time and only one of them had a batt. Fail earlier this year. I use another cheap torch with a single 18650 cell in on my helmet and this setup has worked really well. Just bought a Solarstorm dual light which is slightly brighter than the P7 as a backup just in case but may put it on my helmet as its so light with the batt. In my backpack. So, I think lights are like bikes, some like to buy expensive,some cheap, as long as they do the job and we all have fun that’s all that matters.

Rockape
    Free Member

Have a look at the lights sold by Mtb batteries worth the money uk based company. 🙂

z1ppy

Chalky, never seen the Beema site before but that picture of the beam shot, is directly off Torchy’s light review website, and I can’t see any updates to include that light. I find that a little suspicious, call me paranoid.

Personnaly if I had that amount of cash and wanted some reliabilty/UK support, I’d be heading over to Smudge for his Luminator or CRG if you have a bit more cash.

chalky46
    Free Member

Z1ppy
    Received it this morning and its lovely.

4 settings and hold for 2 secs to turn it off. Professionaly finished with 2 year guarantee. 6 cell waterproof batteries in a nice velcro holder. I had to reposition my bottle cage to the other position and it sits perfectly under down tube. Shall be testing batteries later.

chalky46
    Free Member

Check this out z1ppy
    http://www.edmundsondesign.com/print/bikelights-uk/

There first entry into the light world.

monkeychild
    Free Member

After 2 Chinese lights (DX jobber and an Owlet). I ended up splashing for a Joystick and a 2nd hand Vision 4. I wish I hadn’t wasting my money on the Chinese jobs!!!

chalky46
    Free Member

Monkeychild
    I was a bit nervous about parting with £130 but its worth it.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘powerful front light required?’ is closed to new replies.