Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Powercordz gear cables
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Anyone tried them?

Have a bit of spare cash burning a hole and I'm tempted to get a set for "research" purposes (lol).

njee20
    Free Member

Yes I've got a pair.

Wouldn't bother again to be honest, the plastic coating pulls off very easily when clamped, that exposes the fibres and makes them pretty weak, don't do them up as tightly and they're prone to slipping through the clamp bolt!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah ok then. Seemed like a good idea in theory. I'll keep my money and let it burn my pocket some more.

Cheers!

mtbmatt
    Free Member

They are great in thier first use. Lighter and stronger plus they won't stretch.

But, like njee20 says they do split when clamped as instructed, so if you need to re-position the cable, clean the inner/outer or swap them onto another bike then they are a real pain and pretty much useless.

So if you get a year from an inner cable, then they might be worth it? I'd use them again if I felt I'd keep them in place long enough.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Could you put some heat shrink tubing over the clamp area to give a better bite and stop the crushing?

Stoner
    Free Member

wonder if theyd be any good in a rohloff twist grip?

njee20
    Free Member

I was wondering about that I must admit, or even just some turns of electrical tape, the problem is that once the fibres are exposed they just go everywhere, if you could keep them together they'd be fine.

I use mine in Alligator I-links, which seems a good combo, but when they wear I'll just stick normal cables in.

Offroading
    Free Member

I've been running a set with ALligator I-links for about 2 years i think. Dunno about them splitting… I've removed mine and re-clamped them a bunch of times and i've yet to split the outer or anything.

Seem good to me, they haven't needed any attention since i fitted them to be honest.

njee20
    Free Member

You've got the older ones haven't you? The 1.4mm ones or whatever they were?

Mine are the newer, thinner 1.2mm ones, maybe they made the coating thinner, I can pull it off with my fingers!

Offroading
    Free Member

Ah yes i do, forgot about that. Mine are 1.5mm (i think) which might explain why they are tougher. I certainly can't pull the coating off. I did read on MTBR about the 1.2mm ones stripping in use.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I wonder why they went to 1.2 then? Can't imagine it was for weight saving!

Maybe worth firing off an email to the makers and see if they'll send a replacement set out if they do squish and fray?

njee20
    Free Member

So they fitted through the liners on Nokon and I-links, yes that's not a bad idea.

Offroading
    Free Member

The 1.5mm fits the I-link Linner fine no mod needed etc.

I would be mighty suprised if they would replace them from user stipping them…

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Wouldn't hurt to email them though explaining the problem. I would! Might have been a bad batch, and early run of the 1.2mm version. Sending an email costs nowt 🙂 You said it had been raised in MBR so it's clearly an issue, and not necessarily a user error that caused it.

sslowpace
    Free Member

Any reccomendations where to get them at a decent price?
    For research purposes of course.. 😀

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Ordered mine from the US.
    Not sure if there is a UK distributor any more.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Powercordz gear cables’ is closed to new replies.