Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Power rangers lookalikes on motorbikes
  • project
    Free Member

Following on from the negative reporting on this thread,

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/we-are-recklessdangerous-and-constantly-getting-hurt

Why is it every weekend we are subjected to over weight middle aged men in leather, riding motorbikes, all dressed as Power Rangers, but without the image, either riding fast and dangerously on roads, chasing each other, or either taking up parking spaces at a cafe stop, pigging themselves out on cakes or pies, all dreesed in the customary white t shirt, boots and leather power ranger outfit.

Where do they all go when it goes dark or after september, back to driving Audis, or Bmw,s.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why are the woods full of overweight middleaged men on DH bikes and full body armour being a pain to all other users of the trails? Driving obnoxiously on the way there and back in their audis beeping at cyclists who dare get in their way on the roads

Motorcycling has become a middleaged middle-class mens hobby

Onzadog
    Free Member

Damn you TJ, sneaky edit. I was just about to quote you and suggest it was a Fruedian slip.

project
    Free Member

Strangely never met any middle aged men on DH bikes in the woods, but a lot of middle aged seem to frequent the local woods without any freinds or Audis.

Northwind

Why do they take up parking spaces? Is it because they’re parked? I’ll admit, that is a proper scandal when they do that, and no mistake.

anagallis_arvensis

Have to admit I read that MCN article as I buy it every now and then and couldnt make head not tail of it or decide what the point was if indeed there was one.
    The power rangers only come out at easter gone again by october so I wouldnt worry too much about them

project
    Free Member

The power rangers only come out at easter gone again by october so I wouldnt worry too much about them

So just a very expensive part time posing hobby then

anagallis_arvensis

yes exactly

5thElefant
    Free Member

I got power rangered up last week. I went far too fast too. 😯

nibby
    Free Member

Do you also get offended at trail centres when you see fat middle aged men on the latest full suspension bikes with all the gear and no idea?

or maybe you get really piss** when you see a few walkers with the audacity to be wearing a pair of walking boots and a walking stick out for a gentle stroll but only when the weather is good and never in the rain because they dont want to get there new gore tex boots dirty.

Maybe they are not hardcore enough for you? Maybe they are out just enjoying themselves?

Very selfish if you ask me.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Never had a power ranger suit but I rode motorcycles at speeds to make your hair curl

Woody
    Free Member

Nearly put the power ranger suit on today but decided it was too hot and put jeans, fluorescent green t-shirt and plain black leather jacket on instead. You can’t stereotype me, no sir.

Still sweated my nuts off and rode at speeds which kept my hair curly.

nibby
    Free Member

I only wear my power ranger gear now when I’m doing a track day so not very many days in the year and very rare that I do any when the winter arrives. Not hardcore enough 😉

Next time though I will put them in a bag and strap it to the back of the bike and wear my jeans and maybe even just a white t shirt if it’s hot.

I must also remember not to stop for a breakfast on the way as I dont want to take up someone’s space.

CountZero

Why is it every weekend we are subjected to over weight middle aged men in leather, riding motorbikes, all dressed as Power Rangers, but without the image, either riding fast and dangerously on roads, chasing each other, or either taking up parking spaces at a cafe stop, pigging themselves out on cakes or pies, all dreesed in the customary white t shirt, boots and leather power ranger outfit.

So you’ve visited the Red Lion in Avebury on a Sunday then?
    You get the occasional rocket like this:

but most bikes seem to be owned by MAB’s (Middle Aged Blokes), with something of an excess of stomach, with a few sports bikes with PowerRanger™ stylee riders.
    The one above was ridden by a scruffy skinny bloke in his thirties wearing jeans and a nylon MA1 flying jacket.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Loving that Gixxer ‘fighter.

Moi? Middle aged? I guess. Fat? No, cycling sees to that. Ride a motorcycle way in excess of the speed limits on a regular basis? Yep. Power ranger get-up? I have a one piece suit (though in black), but generally no. Noisy race cans? Yes, but it’s an Italian V Twin so it’s the law. P*ss off (certain) STW types with my riding? I hope so 🙂

nibby
    Free Member

I know a few middle aged blokes with a bit of a belly who wear leather when they are out on bikes. Let me tell you they dont hang around and are excellent riders. They wear leathers because there is a risk each time you go out on the bike. Doesnt matter if it’s an off at 30 mph or 160 mph, sliding on the tarmac still hurts.

I have also seen guys with no gear in just jeans and a jacket that to be fair shouldnt be on the road.

You can go on and on….I wont even mention those on cycles on my commute that look like TDF riders in tight fitting team colours and to be fair could do with losing a bit of weight.

I’m not sure of the point of the first post? Is he saying that he is against middle aged fat men who wear leather or people parking and taking up his space in parking areas? or maybe because they eat pies and he thinks they should all be 12 stone with a six pack eating rice cakes?

Maybe god forbid someone might be offended when he’s on his bike wearing tight fitting lycra showing his legs and wearing a stupid looking helmet when he should really know better and not be enjoying himself.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Two wheels good.

160bhp, 0.0000002 hampster power, it’s all good.

Gunz
    Free Member

I’m sorry but that Street Fighter is as tragically 80’s as Rick Astley in a Puff Ball skirt.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Everything else is a bit…meh.

Mugboo

I used to love dressing up as a blue power ranger and ragging my Gixxer with my power ranger friends. I now love dressing as a mountain biker and playing in the woods.

Hopefully I’ll now live a little longer, but why should I grow up…:)

Mugboo

On a side note.

If I try and read a bike mag now then all I see are bikes that are slightly faster & slightly lighter than my K2 Gixxer6. Since 2000 ish the handling on bikes has been as good as most people can expoit so I feel most newer is stuff is just keeping up with the Joneses.

Does the same apply to mountain bikes?

Woody
    Free Member

Pretty much, yeh 😉

Mugboo

Maybe 2010 would be a better example for mountain bikes. How much more ‘performance’ can us normal joes use?

stanley

I’m sorry but that Street Fighter is as tragically 80’s as Rick Astley in a Puff Ball skirt.

Err…. No!
    That frame and engine is from an 1100K I reckon. So ’89 at the earliest. Possibly an L/M so later.
    Usd forks, over 4.5″ wheels, etc. not until 90’s.
    Not that the rolling stock on that bike is anything like that old!
    Not sure on the turbo. Possibly Rayjay? That could be 80’s but looks smaller and more compact.

I think that bike looks ace…… takes me back to the 90’s 🙂

ivantate
    Free Member

Guilty of everything, even occasionally of being a self righteous car user. (only if the bmw is left at home though)

curvature
    Free Member

This is just another one of those posts about jealousy……

My toys are……

1. Italian motorbike. I wear full race Italain leathers and both knee sliders are worn and there are no chicken strips on the tyres!
    2. British built full suspension bike

My transport…..

1. Swedish estate car
    2. Italian hatcback, remapped with enough torque to need the LSD fitted

Oh and I am 42, but then again I have worked hard ot get all my things so stop moaning about other peoples hobbies/toys!

grim168
    Free Member

each to their own.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The one above was ridden by a scruffy skinny bloke in his thirties wearing jeans and a nylon MA1 flying jacket.

Standard issue for a streetfighter, along with the Simpson Bandit. Looks like there’s a turbo on that bike. The stereotype is complete. 😉

dazzlingboy

Just like 90% of the mountain bikers you see at trail centres then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If its any consolation most of the real bikers sneer at the power rangers as well – most of the power rangers are all the gear no idea – can’t ride their bikes for toffee

5thElefant
    Free Member

‘Real bikers’ 😆

You mean old mean with oil slicks outside their house?

MrSmith
    Free Member

i don’t have a problem with power rangers as long as they take their one-upmanship, testosterone and ego to the track where it belongs.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I live in a rural area blessed with some lovely driving roads. Every Saturday, I’m woken by the sound of unsilenced bikes racing through the village.

Aside from excessive noise, they’re not generally a nuisance. Motorcyclists seem to be more aware of traffic than car drivers so the best thing is to allow them plenty of space. I’ve certainly never had reason to have an altercation with one.

ocrider

I don’t have a problem with power rangers as long as they take their one-upmanship, testosterone and ego to the track where it belongs.

Looks for analogy with weekend warriors and trail centres…. 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

they are often scraping them off the road near my parents house, either that of being airlifted 100yds from the road in the middle of a corn field (how do they fly that far!)

rossi46
    Free Member

I think i fit in with the power ranger description, except i am thirty or there abouts, i dont have a beer belly (my team boss wont let me), and on the road i ride respectfully (on track im a lunatic!). I save my adrenalin for race day.
    My road bike is a 1989 Kawasaki ZXR which is loud, but so is my neighbours Subaru, my one piece suit is nice and comfy to wear and should help me out should some knob in an Audi change lanes suddenly in front of me.
    I love riding my Intense through the woods at least once a week, and i ride it through London occasionally- doing battle with the traffic and disapproving pedestrians is a right laugh!

superfli
    Free Member

Unfortunately a large proportion of powerrangers only get their bikes on the road for the w/e and get carried away with the throttle, which is so easy to do – I mean given your own ferrari (and the wealth to pay for it!), and a nice country NSL road, you’d be tempted too, wouldnt you?!
    Possibly given more time on the bikes, their attitude might change a little. I dunno, but its something I come to expect when spring comes around, very similar to MTBs at a trail centre.

I have to admit, getting a few speeding tickets and section 59 in my time has taught me a lesson – dont go out at weekends on the usual roads and ride like a loon! So maybe police crackdowns do work.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Possibly given more time on the bikes, their attitude might change a little. I dunno, but its something I come to expect when spring comes around, very similar to MTBs at a trail centre.

I’m the opposite. I potter around for the most part on the odd summer day. When I was commuting I went as fast as possible (who wants a long commute?). My racing actually improved.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If its any consolation most of the real bikers sneer at the power rangers as well

And this is the problem. Sneering.

I ride bikes. A bike is something with 2 wheels. I don’t give a rats ass weather it has an engine or not, and I never, EVER ‘sneer’ at anyone who’s riding something different, but I’ve been on the end of it (for riding a scooter)

There’s so many bickering factions of people on bikes, and most can’t see that it’s all the same thing, the same way of life, the same outlook. Roadies sneer at MTBers sneer at fixies sneer at BMX sneer at tourers sneer at sportsbike riders sneer at Harley riders sneer at MXers sneer at touring bikes.

And so it goes. Then when one group is put under pressure for whatever reason, instead of everyone coming together, everyone sneers again.

United we stand….

rossi46
    Free Member

I have to admit, getting a few speeding tickets and section 59 in my time has taught me a lesson – dont go out at weekends on the usual roads and ride like a loon! So maybe police crackdowns do work

Very true- one of the reasons i save my speeding for trackdays (much more fun for going balls out), its about £150 or there abouts to do one- so say four a year is achievable for most people. Isnt it?

Road riding is also great fun, but at sensible speeds- i mean your own sense of self preservation should kick in! Some people though think that because you have a fast bike you should go mad everywhere and if you dont youre not a real man.
    Its not just bikes- i know plenty of people with cars that think the same.
    And we mountain bikers are no different really, are we?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Power rangers lookalikes on motorbikes’ is closed to new replies.