Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Power for Cycling
  • ross88guy
    Free Member

Hi guys, I have just started training for a triathlon and my cycle is by far poorest sport out of the three. I am an ok runner and swimmer but I just cant seem to sprint on the bike to save my life. Is there any sort of workout that I can do that will help me build leg strength but that wont cause problems for my long distance running?

Blog – London Triathlon

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Do you need to sprint for a triathlon? I thought the bike leg was basically a time trial?

If it’s time trialling then I guess you need to figure out what your sustainable power output for the duration of the triathlon distance you’re training for is.

For workout pointers then you could do worse than getting the Triathlete’s Bible by Joe Friel and reading it.

ross88guy
    Free Member

Yeah I guess I am really talking about time trial training but it would be nice to be able to put some distance in-front of me and other cyclists if I need to. Thanks for the advice, I will check out the book as it sounds like it could be the thing that I am looking for.

Cheers

Blog – London Triathlon

jonba
    Free Member

Find a local TT series and practice. Then give up the running and swimming and buy a mountain bike.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

TTing is all about constant effort. You don’t need to sprint away from people. If you’re faster than them then you’ll naturally pull away. Why waste energy trying to sprint away from them!

Best thing you can do is find a local road club that host TT’s and have a go. Also, 20 minute thresholds on the bike wil help you get faster.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I smell spam sandwiches

Every post you have started jn last 2 years has been the same format. An banal question about some triathlon gear as you have just started out and then a link to a blog

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Ride a lot and you will get quicker. Simple as that.

houndlegs
    Free Member

If you want to put some distance in front of you and the other riders,just stop pedalling,as the others pull away from you there should be loads of distance in front of you then. 😀

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I think trail_rat speaks the truth 🙁

MOOOOOOOODDDDDSSS!!!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Power for Cycling’ is closed to new replies.