Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Power bank options for charging front light / garmin / galaxy s3 phone
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Anyone have any experience of a decent power bank that will charge my USB devices whilst away on a cycle trip. I have a front dynamo hub, but having a back up device which can charge the 3 devices above would be handy. I get that the higher the mAh the more charges I will get out of the device, but I am unsure what amp output rating I need for the devices?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Surely the light charges direct from the hub if not running from it.- although I do understand some riders charge Diabolos and use them as both their light and back up battery

I’d turn the phone off until requires uses much less battery when it’s off.

I use a small 4800mah battery pack to charge my phone and my Garmin – the same cable turned round charges it from my iguro d2 . The cycle 2 charges were a waste of money

whitestone
    Free Member

USB 1 & 2 are 0.5A, USB 3 is 0.9A. It’s the devices that pull/draw the current so if you’ve a high rated device it will just charge slower than if the powerbank was the same rating.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Surely the light charges direct from the hub if not running from it

Yes. It has an inline battery as well, but if your speed goes below 7mph the SP Dynamo struggles to keep up with the drain from the garmin. My front light is a 350 lumen and that only last 3 hours and will need to be charged overnight. Just don’t want to get caught out.

In fact, I should consider a different light as the Nite Rider one I have cannot be charged whilst in use. As soon as you stick the USB cable into it, the light switches off and goes into charge mode.

jambalaya
    Free Member

On advice of another thread I bought 2 Anker battery packs. Small cigar sized one which will charge a phone twice and a larger one which will do 2 x ipad or 6x (?) phone charges. The larger one has 2 USB out so can do two things at once. I think it’s 13000mah ?

flanagaj
    Free Member

USB 1 & 2 are 0.5A, USB 3 is 0.9A. It’s the devices that pull/draw the current so if you’ve a high rated device it will just charge slower than if the powerbank was the same rating.

So does it matter if the power bank is 5.5amp?

Something like this with 3 outputs would be ideal.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Portable-Charger-RAVPower-26800mAh-External-x/dp/B012V9H3WA/ref=pd_rhf_sc_s_cp_12?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B012V9H3WA&pd_rd_r=SNB8C8D0YMEN8XVNBMEC&pd_rd_w=oHv8k&pd_rd_wg=G8YrD&psc=1&refRID=SNB8C8D0YMEN8XVNBMEC

flanagaj
    Free Member

On advice of another thread I bought 2 Anker battery packs. Small cigar sized one which will charge a phone twice and a larger one which will do 2 x ipad or 6x (?) phone charges. The larger one has 2 USB out so can do two things at once. I think it’s 13000mah ?

Daft question, but what charger do you charge the pack with if you don’t have a laptop to hand and only have mains?

cp

A USB charger, they mostly all take USB in as well as out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

How much night riding are you planning ?

I didnt even take lights when i did nz as it was summer and light from early doors till 9pm plus

But if i was racing id change lights so i wasnt waiting on lights to charge……

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the slightly smaller models (21000mAh I think) for a similar role, you’ll be fine. Make sure that you keep the device dry as it isn’t moisture proof. Even one of the small lipstick style powerbanks (which is just an 18650 battery in a case) will charge an iPhone 5 and a Garmin 510 at the same time, I’ve a multi-headed USB cable to do that.

flanagaj
    Free Member

A USB charger, they mostly all take USB in as well as out.

Ok. Thanks

cp
    flanagaj
    Free Member

How much night riding are you planning ?

I didnt even take lights when i did nz as it was summer and light from early doors till 9pm plusThat’s interesting. NZ in 2 weeks time. If it’s still light at 9pm then the answer will be none.

drliamski
    Free Member

Basically go for a portapow as will charge from your hub and auto switch off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@cp I see your bonnet is much longer than mine 😐

CountZero

Daft question, but what charger do you charge the pack with if you don’t have a laptop to hand and only have mains?

Mains, or a car, if one’s available with a USB port. You use a standard USB wallwart, same as you would a phone, pod, etc.
    Either the Anker powerpacks, or 7dayshop do good ones as well.
    https://www.7dayshop.com/products/sumvision-powerbank-10-400mah-fast-portable-external-battery-power-pack-for-apple-samsung-etc-sum10400powerbank

carlosg
    Free Member

I have an easyacc 26000mah, bought last year to take on camping trips. It has 4 outlets and 2 charging ports and a handy light.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Power bank options for charging front light / garmin / galaxy s3 phone’ is closed to new replies.