Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Poweline Internet adapters question – speed and compatability – Advice please!
  • alibongo001

HI

I know a lot of people on here are good with networking and IT so thought someone would be able to advise.

I have 2 old 7dayshop powerline adaptors which help the computer furthest away from the router connect to the internet. Despite my best attempts the receiving unit seems to be broken (reset / moved to room where sender unit is / used as sender instead of receiver – nothing seems to get the Ethernet light on!)

So it seems I need to buy some more – I have BT broadband with around 17 meg speed in the house wirelessly

My question is can you mix an match powerlines – they don’t stock the ones I have and the are an old model and also in terms of speed, most now seem to be 300 / 500 or 1000mbps – mine are 200 – would mixing them mean that the whole system was limited to 200 by the old unit or would the others work on their max and just the 200 unit set as a receiver limit that outlet’s speed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Al.

woody2000

I think there have been a couple of different standards for the powerline stuff, so they may be incompatible. Can you post a pic of the adapters you’ve got – I have a sneaky feeling i have one or more of those adapters knocking around doing nowt

alibongo001

The ones I have are white with 7dayshop on a black panel and 3 LEDs

They are reviewed on this link – with some pictures-

allan23
    Free Member

Never really used them, always found a way to run a cable luckily.

Had a customer in Telecoms who’s receptionist was permanently complaining about how rubbish the phone system was.

Turned out they had a move around and an enterprising young lad in the office brought in some BT Powerline adapters and ran the main VOIP switchboard through them.

Ended up running a cable in.

alibongo001

I have tried allsorts, but when they work they are great – its just that they have stopped!

I don’t think they made old Victorian houses with any regard for wireless internet connectivity – how short sighted! 🙂

alibongo001

Hey Woody2000 I did not realise we live in the same area!

Clicked on your profile and I can see you are one of the Ritz rebels – I live in Hipperholme.

I see you have done the ‘Ard rock too – were you there this year?

Must see if I can make a ride out with the rebels – is it Wednesdays?

Cheers!

jambalaya
    Free Member

I have had mixed results using two different TPLink powerline adapters after the sets got mixed up in divorce ! They do work but seem to be less reliable with regular signal drop outs. Plan A is just to try but I suspect the specs vary and that there is no standars they follow. Good news is the wired powerline adapters are pretty cheap, £25 odd a set

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Poweline Internet adapters question – speed and compatability – Advice please!’ is closed to new replies.