Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Powdercoating queries
  • rascal
    Free Member

Liking the idea of getting a ‘new bike feel’ without getting a new bike!
    So been thinking of getting my 08 Meta tarted up – not sure on colour yet. Few things to consider first…
    How much should I be looking at paying?: what do I need to do (other than taking all the parts off) before handing it over?: who shall I give it to in the East Mids area?

Answers on a postcard please 😀

Cheers

alexpalacefan

I’ve heard good things about M K Coatings in Mansfield.

APF

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers APF – see the Eagles will be soaring with the Swans next season then 😉

Was hoping for a bit more response than I got – never mind. Haven’t heard of MK…will check them out. Cheers

simon1975

I used a cheap and cheerful place in Mansfield (WH Paints). They stripped (sand-blasted?) and powdercoated a steel frame and fork for £35 for me. I then applied my own graphics and clear rattle-can lacquer over the top, and it’s been great. The finish was superb for the little money I paid, a little thin in a couple of the more fiddly places but good even colour. It’s been very resistant to scratches apart from a few chips on the downtube from stone strikes (the coating is fairly brittle compared with paints). It has started to go a bit “crazy paving” after two years, presumably not coping too well with the heat expansion and flex in my frame?

You’ll need to strip all the components, obviously, and I installed an old sacrificial seatpost, headset cups, BB cups, cage bolts etc to protect the internal threads and surfaces.

If your frame is already powdercoated rather than painted then you ought to look at getting that removed in a chemical dip. It’s possible to do another coat over the top but that might be ugly, as well as heavy.

paddy0091
    Free Member

CJ Ward, Burton-on-Trent.

I paid £25 a couple of years ago for a nice baby blue job on a Kinesis hardtail I had at the time. Sold said frame a few weeks ago, paint still looked top notch. Very hard wearing paint as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Powdercoating queries’ is closed to new replies.