Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Powdercoat west mids – help pls
  • fozzybear
    Free Member

need a bike powdercoated but i REALLY don’t want to pay out the nose for Argos cycles. anyone local to the mids know a good powdercoater?
    thx

MicArms

Fozzy,Redditch shot blasters , about £45 for a frame and forks in a single colour.

Just up by the main Halfords delivery depot. Used them about 4 times now, they strip the frame back, tape off all the BB, canti threads, headtube, etc.

fozzybear
    Free Member

any secret words or phrases for that price mick? 😀
    (it’s a full sus)

MicArms

Please and thank you? If it’s a full sus make sure you break into the separate pieces 1st..Might be a bit more coz of that, all mine were rigid frames and forks.

fozzybear
    Free Member

thanks again

z1ppy

wow thats a blast from the past, used them years ago to clean and paint my KMX’s exhaust with heatproof paint.

If there still going, I can definitly recommend them

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

I used Reditch Shotblasters – cheap but I had bugger all choice of colours unless I was prepared to wait a few weeks for a bigger order with my preferred colour used. Therefore my plans for a pastel blue fixie became gloss black within a few minutes.

fozzybear
    Free Member

interesting, i want a baby blue colour…:(

takisawa2

I was recomended THIS place, but havent got around to getting the frame (Cotic Soul) stripped yet.
    Chap I spoke to certainly seemed to know what I was on about when I mentioned blanking threads etc. They charge £25 per frame. You’ll need to get it chemically stripped if its already powder coated though. Although they offer shot-blasting its really just to get a key on the bare metal for the powder to bake onto. Chap told me it can take hours to blast through powder coating, hence the stripping first.
    I priced up chemical stripping & THIS place said about £10, the lad I spoke to had certainly done a few bike frames before.

rOcKeTdOg

just watch redditch shot blasters, they quote you a price then when you turn up to collect ‘they have had to do more work on the frame’ and then try and add vat on top, ask mtbmaff

PaperLawyer
    Free Member

Yes, I was stuck for VAT on top of the quoted price too. The powder coat is failing around the head tube (just above the lower heatset cup) on my 1960s road frame after 18 months but the headset has worked loose and I wonder whether the vibration has caused the failure.

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

I know its not local, but a lot of the retro bmx boys use this chap :

http://www.radbmx.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=56789.0

Given these guys can be nuts about their bikes, and that the bikes are older and may have had hard lives, + the chap is happy for his work to be photo’ed and posted, might be worth a look.

sc-xc

I just got this done at Bournes:

Bournes Powder Coaters
    0121 666 6595
    32 Bissell Street
    BIRMINGHAM
    B5 7HP

£25 inc. blasting for frame & forks.

singlespeedstu

I’ve had a couple of rough looking finishes from Bournes in the past.

Always on alloy frames for some reason.

They seem to be OK with steel.

goog
    Free Member

Bourns Powder Coaters

Digbeth

£20 for strip n coat

Mugboo

Not in the Midlands but relevant pricewise

Triple S in Bingley West yorkshire is £50 for gloss, £80 for candy and somewhere in between for metallic. All prices are plus vat and they have a good rep.

Can’t choose between dark candy red or met denim blue for my Summer frame..

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Powdercoat west mids – help pls’ is closed to new replies.