Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Powdercoat
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m taking my frame in on Saturday for powdercoating but I’ve no idea what colours actually end up looking like on the bike (other than the usual black white etc)

Has anyone got any pics of finished frames with the RAL code they used, looking for a bit of inspiration here. Anything really, really bright is of interest.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The colour charts are pretty accurate in real life (although cameras/monitors usualy throw them off a bit). Powdercoat is generaly thick enough that the colour of the metal underneath doesn’t show through, there’s no base coat, top coat, clearcoat involved in powdercoating, it’s just one layer, unlike paint which goes on in several primer/base/top/clear layers).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

My Cove Handjob..

RAL 4010 Telemagenta.

Its actually pretty bright- the pics don’t do it justice… 8)

woody2000

Lime green 🙂

bencooper
    Free Member

there’s no base coat, top coat, clearcoat involved in powdercoating

You can get a clear topcoat, I sometimes get that done to give a deeper finish.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can get a clear topcoat, I sometimes get that done to give a deeper finish.

I didn’t know that, how does it work? Surely by melting the top coat the base would melt too and you’d end up with a streaky mess?

jonba
    Free Member

The coaters should have some colour cards for whichever references they are using (pantone, ral, etc.) The cards should be an exact match but won’t show you a curved surface.

They can do multiple coats, normally base and clear. Depends on the finish.

Powder coat normally melts then reacts chemically like a 2 k paint so will not melt again. Thermoset.

Mine ended up not being a well known standard, I made the choice off the sample pipes they had.

xiphon
    Free Member

Some orange colour, with gold flecks mixed into the paint. It sparkles!

matther01
    Free Member

Sorry to intrude…but I take it just add your own decals after?

xiphon
    Free Member

Yes – I got mine from DNFive.co.uk

kendonagasaki

I’m thinking about changing the colour of my frame. Can you give me an idea of how much you’re spending for the powedercoating please?
    Do you just supply the frame stripped down and they do the rest?

xiphon
    Free Member

I got mine done at Superior Powder Coatings, Leyland (after I read about them here -> http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/new-bike-build-with-a-difference/page/2 )

Top quality job – and the boss, Mark, rides bikes too (which is a bonus!)

Price? Sorry, they requested I keep that to myself.

I gave them the front end and back end – they stripped the paint (blasted), and did the rest too. I only put stickers on it.

shakers
    Free Member

Wow love the pink very Hollywood Mike Miranda, or am i showing my age there?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Thanks all, I’m using a firm in Mitcham Surrey. Very good value. I’m supplying the frame and he is stripping and then powder coating.Might have a chat with him about the gloss coat sounds like a good option.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Powdercoat’ is closed to new replies.