Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Powder coating a very rusty Inbred, any thoughts on the best colour?
  • aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Thinking matt black but quite like the orange ones like the RNLI.

Anyone else done it?

Esme
    Free Member

Surely it’s orange at the moment?

takisawa2

Raw it.
    It’s the only way.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Raw seconded.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Metallic lime green is the best colour in the world.

THREAD CLOSED

unovolo
    Free Member

Purple metal flake, like this

thomthumb
    Free Member

matt orange

Marin
    Free Member

Red.
    Makes them go faster.

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

Interesting, matt orange is the best so far! Metallic lime green, mildly interested.

Duffer
    Free Member

Clearcoat it. All the rust / scratches just detail it’s history, and unless it’s been stored in the sea, then that rust will only be cosmetic.

oldboy
    Free Member

High gloss black.

br
    Free Member

If its rusty, just buy another one there cheap enough.

Bregante

The only orange is jagermeister orange.

Olly
    Free Member

i considered stripping my inbred and running it bare, just to see. (surely cant be any worse than interior rust?)

I havent though

CountZero

Raw, like mine:

Inbred 567 by CountZero1, on Flickr

Exactly how I bought it as a prototype frame, raw steel with a clear matt lacquer over the top. Going rusty in places, when I clean it I usually just go over it with a Scotchbrite scourer, it’s polished up in some places, matt in others, and I’m perfectly happy with it going rusty around places like the gussets along the top and down tubes, it adds character, the patination is part of it. If it gets too much, a quick squirt of some matt polyurethane lacquer will stop it going further.
    Beauty of it is I couldn’t give a toss about it rubbing up against things when I lock it up, if I drop it, any scratches become added character. It’s now around seven years old, and I couldn’t be happier with the way it looks.
    Strip the paint off with some Nitromors and a wire brush, get a couple of rattle cans of matt poly lacquer and give it a couple of coats, put it back together and go ride, and banish forever any worries about scratches and scrapes.
    Simples. 😀

surfer
    Free Member

That Blue

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

I like that raw one…

Cant be bothered stripping myself, might give the raw and lacquer a go but get it bead blasted first. Did wonder what a template with the on-one logo stuck on it with some salt water sprayed on to create rust logos then lacquer over it would look like!

Like the orange as well though!

The chap who suggested buying another one is right of course but its the one frame I ma not sure I could part with. Bought of here about 4 years ago for £70 and have loved it! Kinda feel it deserves some love.

MicArms

matt orange with black tigger stripes..

MicArms

CountZero

Cant be bothered stripping myself, might give the raw and lacquer a go but get it bead blasted first. Did wonder what a template with the on-one logo stuck on it with some salt water sprayed on to create rust logos then lacquer over it would look like!

I considered doing something like that, after seeing a custom fixie by Fixie Inc, which had been treated to go rusty, then all the fittings were highly polished, and the logo was polished as well. One easy way would be to strip the paint, then get some logos made up in clear matt or gloss s/a plastic, and just ride the bike, letting the frame oxidise naturally, then eventually matt lacquer the whole thing to stop it going any further, leaving the logos as natural steel. Sheer bloody laziness has stopped me doing mine, as the thin coat of lacquer wears, it’ll get ever more patinated, but it’ll take years, which I’m perfectly happy about.

sparkyrhino

I have a very yellow io,was looking at getting it powdercoated matt khaki green,but quite like the strip and raw,nitromors and a can or two of lacquer,might be worth a try

singlecrack
    Free Member

Let it rust a bit more …then clear coat …..

Northwind

The best colour for a repaint varies depending on what colours it’s available in boring OEM. Always confuses me why people repaint/coat to be the same as something they could have bought.

Also, traffic yellow.

everyone
    Free Member

Bright pink. A mate had an Orange P7 in bright pink, it was amazing.

CountZero

What’s rather nice about my Inbred is that you can see the TIG welds clearly, but the bottle bosses have been brazed on, so that shows up nicely as yellow against the dull grey of the steel. It even has the fittings for rear ‘V’ brakes on the stays, which was an error, apparently…
    The brazing’s nice and neat, though. 😀

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

will definitely see what it looks like blasted and decide, raw might have it. Mine is very battle scarred though so will have to see how it turns out. Will stick some before and after pics up.

I’m with Northwind in that I’d rather do it a colour they are not available in otherwise probably should buy a new one.

sv

Gotta be pearl white!

takisawa2

If you do go with raw you’ll need to lacquer it pretty quickly after blasting. It will literally rust before your very eyes…

Lime green also gets my vote…

[/url]
    IMAG0328 by pten2106, on Flickr[/img]

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

taki that looks superb!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

Let it rust a bit more …then clear coat …..

And when it rusts through from the inside, and snaps without notice?

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

some ‘before pics’ – have it stripped and will drop it in later this week for coating – think lime green!

brakes
    Free Member

I really dont get this. A POS frame goes rusty and instead of binning it, people decide that this is a good thing and decide to preserve the rusty bits for all to see.

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

harsh!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

He likes the bike man. Stop bringing him down!

brakes
    Free Member

Not Aaron, he’s bringing it back to life, I’m talking about those who refer to the ‘patina’ of rust.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

sv – Member

Gotta be pearl white!

456 in ‘antique white’ with a pearl lacquer if it helps (but the lime green’ll be good I’m sure, or Orange, or That Blue…) Choices.

bristolbikeproject
    Free Member

I was going to pc my old inberd, but it was too small for me really, so I sold it. I got my Prophet done in matt black. It looks very stealthy and tough. I was initially intrigued by the metalic purple option!

aaron-bangor
    Free Member

brakes, I know what you mean, do like the raw idea but everybody needs some colour in their lives and I am tired of it looking crap so time to spruce it up!

takisawa2

Depending on where you go, you might be limited to what the coaters have in stock. Take a look at a RAL or Pantone colour chart, as they are more common.
    Cotics green is (I’m pretty sure), a RAL green, so it a solid colour.
    If they have to buy in a special powder it could be pricey.

Another option might be to just get it powdered any colour then get a car bodyshop to paint it a nice colour on top (after lightly rubbing down obviously). There’s a lot more choice if it’s wet paint, plus it can be mixed easily.

But, I had a local car paint firm spend an hour trying to replicate that Niner “Kermit green”, without success.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Powder coating a very rusty Inbred, any thoughts on the best colour?’ is closed to new replies.