Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Powder coating a frame for the second time
  • crapknees
    Free Member

Is it possible / wise?

I had an aluminium road frame (Kinesis T2) coated about two years ago. I’m now looking to build it up into a frame for the wife, so would like to do it in another colour.

There’s been a lot of posts about the strength of the aluminium post coating, but l cant see anything definitive that says not to do it. And definitely nothing about getting it done twice.

Anyone done it?

chico66
    Free Member

I know nowt about powder coating but I think the biggest problem would be getting the old coat off

takisawa2

Unless it went to +250c the first time (unliklely), I wouldnt worry about it.
    Just mention it to the coaters, & ask them to use a lower temp but longer bake time.

simon1975

I asked about that when I had a frame powdercoated. They said that it should be possible to add another coat, but obviously weight and quality of finish might be issues. Or get it dipped to get the previous coating off.

Not sure about the temperature issues, though…

eskay

Powder coating is pretty standard across many industries for covering aluminum. I would be surprised if it compromised is strength.

robidoo
    Free Member

You can powder coat over the other colour but theres a good chance you will get a poor finish ( orange peel etc).
    I would get the paint stripped if you wanted a nice job.

crapknees
    Free Member

Thanks all,

The powdercoat should come off using acetone or bead blasting. It was just the strength issue l was more concerned about tbh.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would get it chemically stripped if you can. Sand blasting can wear material away (if not done carefully). I normally pay £10 for a chemical strip so its cheap too.
    My frame is on its 3rd powder coat and it hasn’t dropped apart yet.

honourablegeorge

eskay – Member
    Powder coating is pretty standard across many industries for covering aluminum. I would be surprised if it compromised is strength.

I’d make sure I got it done by a company used to dealing with aluminium. An over that’s too hot or not well controlled can affect the aluminium.

There was a very well informed sounding chap on a previous thread who talked about how easily it is to affect frames – have seen before/after shots of a bloke who had his Giant Reign done, when he rode it afterwards the down tube stretched under his weight, the whoel bike kind of slackened out and lowered, and not in a good way.

robland
    Free Member

As an x powder coater and wet sprayer you don’t need to have it shot blasted or striped. You could just spray over the top of the existing colour.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Powder coating a frame for the second time’ is closed to new replies.