Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Powder coating a frame
  • rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Its a hardtail, Is there anything i should particularly prep or pay attention to beforehand?

How much are we looking at on average?

weeksy

put bolts in the threaded holes.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

If they are a good set up, they will do all this for you..

You just need to strip it all down and drop it off.

Well, thats all I did, and was happy witht he company that did it.

Times?

About a week..

rhyswilliams3
    Free Member

Spot on, my main concerns were the races in which the headset sits, and the bottom bearing threads.

Tracey

Paid in between £45 and £65 for these three

All stripped and masked by powdercoater

tmb467
    Free Member

i left my old bottom bracket in and the cups from an old headset (not in fully – just in enough that they could remove em by hand before coating)

make sure all grease is out of the headtube (not that you’d normally put a load down there, but maybe a previous owner did?) and out of the bottom bracket space

also – if you’re putting an old bottom bracket in to protect the threads, try and get most of the grease out of the bearings first

(strip and candy coat was £36 quid plus VAT)

xiphon
    Free Member

Insert old headset cups and BB cups (if you have some spare)

Put bolts in threaded holes.

I paid £50 for this paintjob (orange with gold flecks) ->

campfreddie
    Free Member

what RAL colour was the pink/purple frame? and is that a sparkle finish?

Tracey

Sorry dont know the RAL colour, Abigale saw an alloy wheel there and picked the same colour. Yes its a sparkle finish, it looks great when the sun is shining

All done at LSN Coatings in Castleford.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

£45ish for mine..

And yes, the stem has been lowered… 😳

gazc
    Free Member

£38 inc VAT for my chameleon at Bettablast in North Tyneside. they do loads of bike frames so know what they’re doing about stripping/masking etc etc. really good finish too

wingnuts

Yes teetosugars you may have lowered the stem, but there are still toys on the carpet and the cushions in the dog basket need straightening!

surlynot
    Free Member

Teetosugars, where did you get the powder coating done?

campfreddie
    Free Member

that cove is telemagenta (RAL4010) isn’t it?

i was planning to paint the wife’s 5-spot white, but the powder coat place have a stock of RAL4003 (heather voilet), which could just work.

not sure about whether to add sparkle or not… i think that might be a bit OTT… thoughts?

xiphon
    Free Member

Sparkle fo’ sure!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

but there are still toys on the carpet and the cushions in the dog basket need straightening!

Two Hyperactive Westies make short work of that!

that cove is telemagenta (RAL4010)isn’t it?

Yes, Its not the best pic.. I’ll try and find a better one- the colour is spot on- Its a bit darker, but, well, still Pink..

Teetosugars, where did you get the powder coating done?

Here:

Click Me…

Northwind

For masking/protecting- if you have to do it yourself, then find a different powdercoater- you want one that knows exactly what bikes need and riders want, and that cares enough to do it. Lots do one or the other but you’ll only get a good result from one that does both.

I paid precisely zero for mine, on account of going to a place that didn’t care enough to do it right, and walking off without paying 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Powder coating a frame’ is closed to new replies.