Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Powder coating a frame?
  • jinksrct
    Free Member

hi just wondered if i get my frame powder coated will i need it laquered or will it have a decent shine to it without?
    Be grateful of any advice
    thanks

carlphillips
    Free Member

i have had a few done and finishes vary greatly, if you like the look of your bikes then discuss with them the finish you want…be warned ive had a few look like proper dogs dinners so go see a reputable coater with proven (ie youve seen other bikes done by them) before handing over cash.

bencooper
    Free Member

Gloss will generally have a decent shine without – satin or Matt will need a clearcoat to come up shiny. Or you can get a Matt clearcoat as well if that’s your thing (looks cool on bare steel).

But yeah, find powdercoaters who have done bikes before and know what to mask and how thin to coat. In Glasgow, ESP are excellent…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jinksrct
    Free Member

ive been recommended to the powder coaters by a good resprayer who said a frame would be better against chips and wear and tear if it was powder coated and not sprayed..
    they have done a few mtb’s and motorbike frames and ive been told they have done alloy wheels.
    £50 ive been quoted the frame is already back to metal..

binners

I’ve had a few done. And have had somewhat different reults.

By far the best finish was a matt black. It was luuuuuuuurverly!

Tracey

Never had a bad result from LSN in Castleford

binners

If you’re in the north west I’d highly recommend Colourtech in Hindley Green. Did a cracking job for much cheapness

jinksrct
    Free Member

im in wales so not sure of any good ones local to me but the ones ive spoken to all say good things about the powder coaters im thinking of going to. will ask if they do gloss finish?

chestrockwell

I got my old Orange Clockwork frame powder coated grey at Triple-S in Bingley. Although not as shiny as a wet paint finish it was shiny enough for me and very tough.

Cost about £60 and that included a full paint strip and re-finish. They know what they’re doing so all threads etc are protected. Recommended them to a few others and all have been very happy with the result. Check out their website because they offer a courier service if you don’t live nearby.

Think it defo depends where you go as I know some people that have used other firms and not been happy with the result.

Northwind

I’d go to triple-s… Didn’t take my own advice last time, went to Hendersons in Edinburgh who came recommended, and they did a s**t enough job that I walked out without paying- didn’t trust them to put it right.

scant
    Free Member

jinksrct. castle coatings in caerphilly are experienced in bike powdercoating & realisitically priced, with a pretty quick turnaround.

jinksrct
    Free Member

cheers scant will ring them tommorrow. only 20 mins away aswell 😀

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Powder coating a frame?’ is closed to new replies.