Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Powder coat – 2nd time round.
  • Tom83

I had a frame powder coated a few years back, and i was thinking of having it done again. Is it likely to weaken the frame too much if i get it redone? Or is it best to leave as is? It’s steel if that affects it at all.

Macavity
    Free Member

It depends who and how the old powder coat is removed.
    There are different types of powder (powdered plastic) that can be used: thermost or thermoplastic, acrylic, polyester, epoxy etc.
    http://www.linetec.com/POWDERCOAT/Types_of_Powder_Coat.html
    Its because they can be tough and fairly abrasion resistant that they are used. And its because they are tough and fairly abrasion resistant that they are difficult to remove by eg blasting with abrasive grit.
    Grit that is sharp / abrasive enough to take the coating off will easily wear away the steel of the frame, and would destroy thin aluminium.
    But some companies have pyrophoric / burn-off ovens.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

I’m on the edge of getting a clear powdercoat on my steel frame. Anyone got any experience of this finish or recommendations on where to get it done?

Im in manchester..

watsontony
    Free Member

how big is the frame? you could chem strip it polish it amd then get a clear coat, the powder coaters probs wont polish for you

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

it’s big enough, large ns surge. to be honest im looking for a slightly ratty look having seen the finish executed really well on a couple of brooklyns.

I’m hoping if i get it blasted with something delicate i’ll be left with scorch marks at the welds.

this is the sort of finish i’m after

inbred853

I looked at a company down in Cardiff that chemically stripped the old powder coat off and then pre treated the frame before recoating it. Google powdercoater in South Wales.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Powder coat – 2nd time round.’ is closed to new replies.