Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Potty training……day time sussed but not nights
  • timthetinyhorse

Tiny horse junior has been out of nappies for a while now during the day, he is 34 months old and decided at about 24 month he didn’t want nappies on during the day anymore and that was that, no problems and very few accidents.

Recently he decided he didn’t want pullups anymore at night, of course we though this will be no problem, he did days when he thought he was ready so why not nights, first few nights went great however now its not going so well, he is wetting the bed 1 or 2 times per night (and of course the sleeping all the way though has gone) He is dead set against pullups and of course we dont want to force them on him but what other options are there? whats the best approach to this, will he grow out of it or do we need to do something?

Cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Teach him how to use the washing machine , tumble dryer and iron?

or gently insist that he wears the pullups on account of you being the adult and everything?

Garry_Lager

Anecdotally for our bairns the day time potty training and general pooing took no time. A week or two. Night time took far longer and I think this is pretty standard.
    Not sure what to suggest if he’s refusing the pull-ups, waterproof cover on the mattress is all well and good but you don’t want pished bedding day in day out. I’d prob try hard to come up with some sort of new incentive to get him to wear them.

andyfla
    Free Member

We had this problem and unfortunately we still do at 9 !
    MIniFla was dry during the day and night at the same time but his big brother sleeps like the dead so is still in pullups – we have tried everything and nothing works , we are still trying diff things but I am guessing only time will make a diff

Good luck, it is bloody hard work

chiefgrooveguru

I haven’t read up on this but my wife told me that overnight dryness requires a specific developmental step (something to do with the brain and subconscious control), so it’s not an issue you (or he) can force.

sl2000

We take our 5 year old to the loo for a pee when we go to bed. He complained a bit for the first few nights but now barely notices, and falls asleep immediately he’s back in bed. He wets the bed maybe once every couple of weeks now.

Gotama
    Free Member

These might help until he gets the hang of it, just don’t tell him what they are….

http://www.boots.com/en/Huggies-DryNites-Bed-Mats-7Pack_1014512/

timthetinyhorse

some helpful reading, yeah the mattress cover thing is all well and good but were washing sheets all the time is getting old!!

perhaps forcing the pullups is an option however not sure if its the right thing to do.

jeffl

For our three kids we did the following for night time.

1. Don’t give them loads to drink just prior to bed. So for us that meant no drinks 1 1/2 hours prior to bed time.
    2. Take them to the toilet last thing before they go to bed.
    3. Take them to the toilet when you go to bed, say 11pm.
    4. Take them to the toilet at 3am.
    5. They generally took themselves to the toilet when they woke at 6am or 7am.

We started dropping the 3am wake up after a week or two, mostly because we didn’t like waking up either. Then stopped the 11pm wake up when we/they got bored of it.

They all did this at different ages ranging from 3-5 years old. From then on all slept though the night without issue. As above when waking them up and taking them to the toilet they generally do it half asleep.

edit: Some used pull ups for this process whilst others didn’t. Sounds like your one doesn’t want to.

pictonroad

Same here, picked up daytime straight away at 2, not a hope at night. We now insist on him wearing them because, obvious reasons really.

As said, we take him when we go to bed but he still wets through a pull-up 2-3 times a week. 🙄

Apparently it’s very common, the night time things needs a specific hormone and mental trigger to start working properly and there’s nothing you can do to rush it. About once a month he’ll get up on his own so maybe, just maybe it’s starting to kick in.

theotherjonv

With one of ours we had the same, they decided they didn’t want night time pullups any more and yet didn’t have the wake up control properly set, so we’d have wet beds on a regular but not every night basis.

Rewards worked for us. A dry night, whether in a nappy or not, you get 3 points. A wet night but in a nappy (we had those that changed colour when wet) – 2 points. A wet night out of a nappy – 1 point (means psychologically she was always scoring points and her little brain didn’t realise that 1 point is effectively minus 2 really)

When you get enough points you get a reward, and she realised that staying dry was the best but wearing a nappy was better than not. Eventually the wake-up control worked and job was done.

DrP

I haven’t read up on this but my wife told me that overnight dryness requires a specific developmental step (something to do with the brain and subconscious control), so it’s not an issue you (or he) can force.

This.
    Brain hormones etc etc
    Can develop at 3, or 6, or 8 (a bit late that one).

Medics wont usually intervene until the 6/7 mark.

It’ll come, don’t fret

DrP

(I know this didn’t answer your original question..you could get an enuresis alarm (amazon) or simply tell him he’s got to wear baby pissy pants until he’s a big strong man with a beard – THEN and only then can he decide what to wear. put a dress on him too. You’re in control)

peabrain
    Free Member

There is a specific hormone that the body needs to produce before a child can be dry at night – I think it slows down urine production.

Andyfla – we have 9 year old with the same problem. Medication is working wonders!

Edit – cross posted

mrlugz
    Free Member

MiniLugz took ages to get through the night dry. There would be 2 week spells of dryness followed by 5 nights in a row.

We eventually ordered one of these The wireless one

It was very effective. As soon as it gets wet, a loud alarm goes off and wakes the sleeping child.

And parents.

By no means cheap, but vey effective, and sold on – strangely…

He’s now 9 and every now and then we have a damp one.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Potty training……day time sussed but not nights’ is closed to new replies.