Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Potentially stupid 10 speed / 8 speed compatibility question
  • one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Humour me here. Just bought a cheapo DH bike off ebay with an 8 Speed cassette (assuming everything else is 8 speed too – cant even remember last time I used 8 speed stuff).

Im assuming if I throw the XO cranks w/ 10 speed chainring on it then the 8 speed chain s going to be way wide for the 10 speed chain ring and thus slip all over the place?

cp

Where’s it going to slip to?

It’ll be fine, 8/9/10 speed all have the same internal width chain.

I use 7 speed on my commuter – with a retro dx thumbie… it’s the most reliable set up out of all my bikes, and it’s the most neglected.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Thick/thin? No idea, doubt any one’s tried it!

Phil_H

I’m running a shimano zee crank with a 36 ring on an 8 speed cassette & chain on my DH bike without any problems.

turboferret

You only get into problems AFAIA when trying to run a chain thinner than the rings, so a fatter chain shouldn’t present any issue.

Cheers, Rich

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

Cheers! I thought I was probably having a blond moment. In further inspection it appears to be a 9speed chainset, chain and shifter and an 8speed cassette. Go figure.

It’ll all get swapped out for some shiny 10 speed gear at some point im sure!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Potentially stupid 10 speed / 8 speed compatibility question’ is closed to new replies.