Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Potentially faulty ebay item, and covering myself
  • dan1980
    Free Member

I’ve bought a camera new off ebay via a “shop” there that has a 14 day returns policy.
    On the first use of the item it appeared to be faulty as although the pictures save ok, the video is almost always corrupt (about 90% of the time), and the support contact for the manufacturer has suggested trying a new memory card. (The one that was sent “free” is clearly a fake!) My new card has arrived today so I’ll be able to test it tonight.

I’m going away on my hols (which is why I bought the camera) tomorrow, and I’ve notified the bloke that the camera appears to be dodgy, and that I’m going to try a new memory card, but I won’t be able to return it in the 14 day period.

I’ve paid by credit card through paypal and am away for the next 10 days, and that will be exactly 16 days since I received the item. If it does turn out to be dodgy, and the bloke decides to be difficult, am I covered in some way?

Thanks

scaredypants

notify them within 14 days & then send ASAP ? – I reckon they’ll accept that (they being paypal dispute peeps)

highclimber
    Free Member

if it is indeed faulty, their returns policy is superceeded by SOGA

ilovemygears
    Free Member

if they sent you a fake item you entitled to a full refund..open a dispute with pay pal

donsimon
    Free Member

So, you’ve bought the camera for your holidays.
    The camera is faulty but you’re not going to return it.
    Instead, you’re taking the faulty camera on holiday, as originally planned. And then want to send it back on your return, with all your holiday snaps, for a full refund.
    I like both your balls and your style sir.

catsplums
    Free Member

I am not sure but anything boarderline paypal can be absolute sods, I bought some trainers on line once and thought that paypal offered me some form of protection, turns out they were fake but because it was outside of ebay paypal offer no protection at all even if they do sell their service (it was a totally seperate website nothing to do with ebay) I questioned them and they said as long as they had been delivered they were not in a position to start investigating if the items where real or not and was not their problem. in essence I could have been sent a dried fish rather than trainers and because I got a box with something in it theyir duty in their eyes was done.

I would hope being a ebay auction they would be happier however I would consider filling out a dispute so at least it is on record, email him and let him know you are unable to post it back due to your travels and will conclude this on your return.

dan1980
    Free Member

So, you’ve bought the camera for your holidays.
    The camera is faulty but you’re not going to return it.
    Instead, you’re taking the faulty camera on holiday, as originally planned. And then want to send it back on your return, with all your holiday snaps, for a full refund.

Not exactly. The plan is to test new camera tonight with my new SD card, if it works, take camera on holiday, have a jolly good time and return with lots of pretty pics and videos of me being somewhat hardcore and full of gnar. (Or something like that!)

If after my test tonight proves that the device is in fact faulty, then I plan to stuff it all back in its box and leave it in a cupboard until I return, meanwhile taking my old camera that doesn’t do video and have a jolly good time and return with just pretty pictures.

If it’s faulty I’m not risking not being able to take pictures if it properly buggers up 🙂

scaredypants

if it is indeed faulty, their returns policy is superceeded by SOGA

Only if seller is UK (maybe EU??) based ?

highclimber
    Free Member

Only if seller is UK (maybe EU??) based ?

even still, your Credit card should protect you under Sec. 75 consumer credit act.

uplink
    Free Member

even still, your Credit card should protect you under Sec. 75 consumer credit act.

Unlikely, the credit card company can only be held jointly liable if you pay the seller direct with the card IMO

maccruiskeen

I like one of your balls more than the other.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Potentially faulty ebay item, and covering myself’ is closed to new replies.