Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • potential to leave joblesstrackworld, a few questions
  • turin
    Free Member

After a few years of not getting much luck in the great job hunt I have an interview in the next few weeks.

In the email I have to confirm my attendance they are asking what my current salary is and what my salary expectations are.

Currently Im earning slightly more than not very much and had always been told to use the “im sure the salary on offer for such a position will be the market rate for the position…..blah blah etc” but this only really works at interview.

A bit of background, I graduated with a Postgrad MSc in 2007 and since then had 6 months on a research project then been self employed sometimes earning enough to pay tax!!

So this is a bit tricky to get things right.

Ive tried to speak to people I know, but the answers Im getting vary wildly.

The job is in the Renewable Energy sector, if that is any help in the responses. I don’t really want to put too much in the open world, just incase

Any helpful suggestions very welcome

cheers

turin

wrecker
    Free Member

Start with what you need to live. Add as little luxury as you dare. Harsh, but you will be competing for the role. Get the job, prove your value then start the negotiations.
    Oh, and bloody good luck.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Can’t you work out what the job generally pays?

I’d add…”if you don’t ask”…

turin
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses,

I only NEED 10K, to survive, which is about what Ive been living on, I know I could quite possibly say 18K and be below what they are thinking. Im really not trying to be greedy, just trying to get a handle on things. And not looking to make myself look too cheap and perhaps suggest Im not the caliber of candidate they are looking for.

Al, Ive been looking around trying to find a similar role so I can even get a scale. But unfortunately There doesn’t seem to be much out there.

Its a Managerial position, strangely without any line management responsibilities, more managing physical assets.

franksinatra

Be honest. They know your current position. Tell them you would hope that the post will be market rate and what your understanding of this is. Then tell them your main motivation is to secure employment with their firm and to make a career with them, not just to earn as much as you possibly can.

Better to be earning less than you would hope for rather than not much more than nothing.

Slogo
    Free Member

+1 for what Franksinatra said!

GJP
    Free Member

+2 what franksinatra said, but I would leave out the last part post the last “comma”. All in all an excellent positioning statement IMO

freeagent
    Free Member

^^^what they said – I’m in the Engineering sector, and ‘graduate’ positions at our place (to be filled by qualified but not experienced bods) usually pay about £21-23k initially.. do a bit of research, find out roughly what they might have in mind…
    good luck, try to appear genuine, sincere and enthusiastic, rather than motivated purely by money.

footflaps

Honesty is the best policy in all things (generally) and more importantly Good Luck!

Ewan
    Free Member

Find the market rate out and use this to judge if their offer is resonable when you get it.

If the section of the online form needs to be filled in then just put a “-” in or a “1” in so they can see you’re not playing the “please tell us how little we can pay you” game.

To be saying “I’m not motivated by money so anything you can afford is fine” is saying you don’t think you’re a value commodity – you are if they want to interview you. The company isn’t a charity and there is no reason for you to behave like one either – the most important pay neogiation is the first one.

turin
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses guys, and particularly for the good wishes.

If Im successful Ill get the beers in!

Its not a form that they are asking this on its a direct email asking me to confirm attendance at the interview but there are a few questions they appear to be looking for a direct answer from me. If it was at the interview stage I think it would be easier to come across ok and pitching the response between the desperate and market value.

As much as I am desperate I don’t want them to know the truth, that id actually do the job for free for a few months to give me some experience!!!

Ive been having a look around and the scale appears to be highly variable, from low £20K’s to mid £30K’s buit thats not for the exact role, more just a sector generalisation.

Im thinking of saying something like mid £20K’s

dunnno really but looks as though they are looking for a number, swines 🙂

turin

johnsquiresplectrum
    Free Member

Don’t give them an exact figure but a range that you would expect the salary to fall into. Perhaps some nonsense about it being dependant on your role specifics?

Oh and good luck!

molgrips
    Free Member

Under-selling yourself can make them think you are a bit of a noob and can’t back yourself, which puts people off.

£26k. They’ll negotiate – they are unlikely to tell you to f right off if they like you.

turin
    Free Member

Thanks Johns and molegrips,

Its a crappy thing to do to a candidate, though I can see why they do it.

There are good non pay benefits as well so that is another bonus, I guess I could say something like the expected benefits package etc

fingers crossed

Cougar

I think I’d always go in high.

If you say “25K” and they had 30K in their heads, they’ll offer you 25K if you’re lucky, or negotiate you down to 22K. If you say “25K” and they were planning to offer you 20K, they’ll offer you 20K.

It’s a bit different as a graduate, first job is often a case of “suck it up” unfortunately. “Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience” will be what they’ll say, with the caveat that if you have both you’re too expensive overqualified.

So yeah. Be vague, do your research, tell them you’ve done your research, and don’t undersell yourself. “Well, I’ve checked online and this sort of role in this area tends to command a salary around the 30K mark.” Then let them suck air through their teeth and offer you a few grand under that, you’re quids in and they think they’ve got a good deal.

Cougar

I guess I could say something like the expected benefits package etc

So you’re not expecting a salary of 30K, you’re expecting a package of around 30K. Good word to use, professional and doesn’t sound like Bob Geldof.

FuzzyWuzzy

Tricky without knowing the salary bands for the role. I wouldn’t aim much above (if at all) what you think you’re worth though. If see an expectation for several k over the role’s market rate then not sure I’d even bother interviewing.

NZCol

I would reply saying “I would expect the post to pay market salary which would appear to be in the range 20-25K. Of course you will have discretion on your salary bands and therefore the overal package, job and opportunities are what I am interested in.”

Or something. Money is rarely the clincher either way.

turin
    Free Member

Thanks again for the input guys,

Im getting my head into pretty much what im going to put down.

turin

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘potential to leave joblesstrackworld, a few questions’ is closed to new replies.