Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • potential redundancies at work :(
  • andybrad

So then, Weve just had the message that we are to expect some redundancies this week! Gulp!

Were probably the only valve manufacturer in the area that hasn’t made cuts as yet but its obviously got to that time. To say I’m worried and scared in a bit of an understatement. Hopefully ill be ok but can anyone offer any advice? The biggest worry was that up until this year I could have walked out of this and into a decently paid job. Now there are thousands in our area out of work so the likely hood if me getting a similar (specialized) job is second to non.

Not entirely sure what to do tbh.

stumpy01

I’ve been made redundant twice. It’s rubbish. Sorry to hear you have this looming over you.

I’d start polishing up your CV, call some recruitment agencies and start seeing what’s about.

Even if you are in the clear, it’s good to be pro-active in situations like this, I reckon.

wors

Were probably the only valve manufacturer in the area that hasn’t made cuts as yet but its obviously got to that time.

Which company Andy?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Three times for me – each one led on to bigger and better things.

andybrad

I wouldn’t like to say wors but it’s not too hard to guess.

Cheers folks. Scary stuff

earl_brutus

I got made redundant once, after 3 months of worry, saw it as a blessing though as the job was changing beyond all recognition ( for those that stayed ) and forced me to start work for myself, so within 2 weeks of getting the chop i was back up and running and managed to do this for 18 months, this was in 2011. Biggest worry was how would i afford to live, I now squirrel away around 6 months of living expenses so if it every happens again id be alright for a bit.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Twice for me, first was out of the frying pan into the fire, second was the best thing to happen to me in work ever.

It’s shit though, I was only oout of work the second-time 3 days, but there was a lot of worry during that time.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Twice for me, first was out of the frying pan into the fire, second was the best thing to happen to me in work ever.

It’s shit though, I was only oout of work the second-time 3 days, but there was a lot of worry during that time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Same boat for me.

No business case for my redundancy- I’m busier than ever in terms of billable hours – just applying a blanket 30% cut in personel.

I’ve been poached to another country for more money and less time.

Will be a bit more hassle for part of the year but much less time spent working.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Andy, have you been told “officially”? If its just on grape vine, time to sort out some income protection insurance.

Also, worth assuming that you get given the boot. Assume the worst, gives you time to prepare mentally, financially etc.

FWIW, it happened to me a few years back, best thing that ever happened to me. Ended up doing a year as a bike courier, while picking up other work that in the end led to a much better job than I had been kicked out of. I see some of the guys that didn’t get made redundant, and they still live with the cloud over their head that it might happen at any time.

Good luck.

andybrad

My concern is that oil and gas work is at a premium at the moment so where as before I could have moved with ease it is significantly more difficult now.

I’ve tried looking into income protection but they are looking at 75 quid a month to cover the mortgage. This seems like a lot.

Official notice for some today.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Where is location ? Option to do something out with o and g ? I’m o and g and want out…..

Onzadog
    Free Member

I know quite a few people who have been made redundant. All found it difficult short term. Interestingly, all are better off in terms of quality of life long term and none of them are struggling financially.

tuboflard

We are going through it just now at work. There’s a statutory obligation to consult for a minimum of 30 days. You are absolutely in your rights to put forward proposals to reduce or mitigate the number of proposed redundancies too, don’t assume it’s a foregone conclusion even though it may appear that’s the only option. Also ask for the reason for redundancy. It has to be for specific reasons , i.e. Site closure, business closure or diminished need to undertake work of a specific kind.

You should have been informed in writing too, and a formal announcement made as well. And you should have at least a few one to one consultations with your line manager.

If at the end of all that it still ends up as redundancies then ask what your notice period is, if they’ll pay PILON etc.

njee20
    Free Member

Twice for me (by the age of 28), both times it was the best thing to happen to me. First time didn’t feel like it (no pay out at all), changed industries and ended up in a much better job. Second time was more on my terms, reasonable pay out, job sorted before I left, took a 5 week holiday, then walked into another job with a significant pay rise.

It does feel a bit shit, but for many people it provides opportunities.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What stumpy said.

It’s shit, I was through numerous redundancy situations in my last place (aviation is fickle as ****) finally, I got pissed off when they announced another one.

Got my CV sorted, applied for a few I fancied, and got a job in pharma, better hours, same money (I used to work shifts, now I’m 8-4) and no rumours of redundancies every month….

Managed to whack 30k into mortgage, new kitchen and bathrooms with the package.

I was same as you, worried etc, but it’s best thing I did. Best of luck mate.

LMT
    Free Member

Just been through this, mine was voluntary redundancy, well what happened was our night shift is being removed and replaced with twilight, as the new twilight falls under me as per the new structure I was required to work until 1am 5 shifts a week, and a second part time manager would work alongside me to work the “evenings” I was on day off. I refused the shift change which put me in the firing line, my options:

Take the new shifts
    Take a job in another location
    Step down and have a 2 year pay off
    Redundancy

After considering all the options I took a job in a different location, just blew my savings on a new bike, I reckon come april this will happen again so will be saving my pennies until then.

Good luck with whatever route you choose.

edlong
    Free Member

There’s a statutory obligation to consult for a minimum of 30 days.

That depends on the number of planned / potential redundancies: 30 day minimum if 20 or more, 45 days if over 100.

https://www.gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/consultation

beefheart
    Free Member

I’m going through this too- currently in my notice period, and looking desperately for another job.
    Not sure I want to continue in the same field, so am exploring retraining options too.
    I’m considering using my redundancy money to get an HGV licence, to do something completely different.

jamj1974

Very stressful situation Andy. Been through it and it can be tough.

Got my fingers crossed for you though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

HGV? sod that, hideous working conditions now. Consider retraining as a chimney sweep, 3 month waiting lists round here, your own boss too. Massive demand now due to Woodburning stoves popularity.

poolman
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about this andy Brad, both companies I worked for were taken over and about 2 jobs saved. I had left before so escaped redundancy, shame I would have got a nice deal, but the atmosphere was truly awful.

Pretty much everyone who could jumped ship on their own terms.

I like the chimney sweep idea, you can get tooled up at screw fix. Ditto window cleaning. Keep you going while something else comes up.

Like the others above say, best thing that ever happened to me, never looked back.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘potential redundancies at work :(’ is closed to new replies.