Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Potential new road bike
  • WildHunter2009

I’m looking to buy a new roadbike to replace my battered trek 1.1 and because i seem to spend more time on the road these days. I’m looking at maybe the Giant defy range. Is it worth pushing out to get into the ‘Advanced Pro’ bikes? From what I gather its better carbon and a full carbon fork which seems to generally make a fair bit of difference?

The other bike that has caught my eye is the Trek emonda sl5. Strictly a slightly different category I guess as its not treks ‘endurance’ range unlike the defy. But by all accounts its comfier than a lot of bikes? Its also potentially lighter/faster for the money.

I have looked at canyon as you can now get them out in oz but its about a 4 month lead time.

I’m not totally sold on discs being necessary so very willing to consider rim braked bikes.

Dave

jonba
    Free Member

I cannot imagine the frame offers anything more than a lower weight. If you did a blind test I would guess changing between 25 and 23mm tyres or changing the pressures would make as much difference.

Never been convinced by endurance bikes either. I’ve always ridden bikes designed for racing and they are comfortable enough for me over long distances.

Most of the giants will be good bikes. The only real thing to consider is what you get for your money. But even that, with the big brands, will vary little.

mike399
    Free Member

I believe the last couple of years defy ‘advanced’ and the ‘advanced pro’ are the same frame. The pro gets a carbon steerer and better/lighter wheels and finishing kit to command the premium price.
    (The older ‘composite’ and ‘advanced’ had different carbon)

qtip

Absolutely love my Defy Advanced Pro, but not tried the Advanced to compare. The frame is identical, just full carbon forks and a few better parts on the Pro spec. I went with the Pro as there was a good discount on 2015 models when I was buying.

lee170
    Free Member

What about a cannondale supersix??
    I’ve got a 2015 supersix evo 105 and its immense, i replaced a defy with it,it’s much nicer to ride,
    2015 supersix also heavily discounted at certain bike shops/websites.

shermer75
    Free Member

Cycling Weekly liked the Advanced Pro enough to give it an award

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/reviews/road-bikes/giant-defy-advanced-pro-2

WildHunter2009

Cheers guys. I will have a look at the super six as an option as well. Especially if 2015 bikes are still available.

eshershore
    Free Member

the most noticeable differences between advanced and advanced pro

weight. about 300gm in the fork as advanced uses ‘hybrid’ carbon blade/crown and aluminium steerer. advanced pro is full carbon fork with oversize steerer,headtube,stem.

for long term ownership with’upgrade’ potential the advanced pro is the best choice as the hybrid fork cannot be upgraded and 300gm weight extra is a big lump on a road bike.

the advanced pro with good wheels feels like a fast race bike with a more comfortable position, rather than the usual soggy endurance bike

handling. advanced pro is noticeably stiffer in the front end when really cranking turns, or descending hard on disc brakes, but actually a little less comfortable from road shock so makes sense to run big 28c tires to compensate.

the rear is super comfortable in comparison.

I’d choose the Advanced Pro with cheaper groupset just to get the better overall frameset for the long run. this was my Defy Advanced Pro last summer, the Propel belongs to my missus

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Potential new road bike’ is closed to new replies.