• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by pjm84.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Potential new job musings
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Forgive me but I just need to think out loud for a bit:

I have been a little unhappy at work for a while, mainly down to being stuck on the same kind of projects week in week out. At one point I uploaded my CV on to a website and within a week I had an interview. They have now offered me the job. However, I am finding it difficult to decide whether to take it or not.

The plus points (i.e. why I should take the new job):

– Interesting projects to work on.
    – It’s a change after being with the same company for 7 years.

The negatives (i.e. why I should stay):

– The new job isn’t offering much more money.
    – It is further way (13 miles as opposed to 1 mile).
    – The company I am with have said if I find a qualification I want to study for, they will consider contributing towards it.
    – My current company are looking to expand (they have already purchased larger offices) and as someone who is already in a senior position there, I could have the opportunity to expand with the company.
    – Expanding equals more staff which equals potentially taking on more interesting and varied projects.

Now, on the surface it would appear that staying wins, but the two “positives” are biggies.

The other fly in the ointment is that I have been considering doing something very different, involving studying other subjects and ultimately changing industries (architecture to not sure what; possibly, GIS, Geosciences etc).

Still trying to make my mind up.

hels
    Free Member

You should go for the new job. The plus points you mention at the old job are mostly “possible” “will consider” etc and I think seven years is well long enough at one company. You get institutionalised.

You wouldn’t have posted your CV if you didn’t want to move.

You don’t mention money, I assume it is around the same.

Also, have you talked it over with your family ?

And 13 miles each way is an ideal bike commute !!

mikey74
    Free Member

I mentioned money as the first point in the negatives.

The thing is, I feel I need a change, but whether that is a new job or not I don’t know.

hels
    Free Member

Oops sorry I see that now ! You don’t sound like you were punching the air when you got the news re the new job ? Talk to somebody you trust re pros and cons, who can be unbiased.

A touch of decision paralysis can be a sign of other probs in life.

mogrim

The main downside (to my mind at least) is the distance – what’s the commute like? A 13 mile bike ride along tranquil lanes with a shower at both ends would be great; 13 miles across London not so much…

mikey74
    Free Member

You are right hels: the fact that I’m not jumping at the new opportunity I think suggests that it probably isn’t the change I am looking for.

To answer your question Mo: it’s actually not a bad commute, along fairly quiet Sussex lanes, although I do have to a busy road for the last section of it.

jam-bo

is the money a big sticking point? if its their initial offer then go back and ask for more.

mikey74
    Free Member

Not really. Money is not the driving factor here.

tomcrow99

I’m in a similar boat and as it happens work in GIS/Geosciences. Have been with the same company for a few years interesting work but not really what I want to do for ever and the longer I stay there the further I drift from my original career goals. Having bottled a couple of job interviews recently I’m definitely at the point where I need to bite the bullet also…
    No help I’m afraid really but if you want any chat on the geosciences/GIS stuff drop me a line.

petefromearth

I have been in a very similar position.

Old job
    Local but not challenging enough and, most days, pretty boring
    Potentially good prospects (looking back)

New job
    Really exciting but further away
    Big change career-wise

I went for the new job. It was the right decision for me, although that was 7 years ago and I’m getting itchy feet again!

The prospects at your new company might be interesting, but may not give you a big change if that’s what you want. It’s the safer choice.

However when it comes to job prospects, certainly in the few jobs I’ve had, they aren’t usually there on a plate for you to take, you have to find them and earn them.

Also, I would say that a long commute, by car, everyday, eventually can send you crazy. But it’s worth it if the job is more satisfying.

unknown
    Free Member

Based on your own list I’d say go for the new job – its pros are guaranteed, but the pros for staying are uncertain. HOWEVER – I was in a similar situation last year and ended up moving, a decision which I’ve regretted ever since. I think if you’re not in a frame of mind by the time the offer comes through that you really want it then it’s probably best not to accept.

For me, leaving my old job was the correct decision, it’s just that I chose the wrong one to leave it for. It sounds similar to your situation now and if you’re anything like me, deep down you know the new job isn’t right.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks folks. One thing I am certain of is that I need a change, I’m just not convinced that the job I have been offered is it and will detract from finding out what I really want to do. After all, it pretty much the same as my current role but for a different company.

Tom: I’d be interested to know more. My e-mail is mike@skylinecad.plus.com if you don’t mind getting in touch.

scuzz
    Free Member

– My current company are looking to expand (they have already purchased larger offices) and as someone who is already in a senior position there, I could have the opportunity to expand with the company.

Sounds like you’re in an ideal position. This itself is an exciting project for you – ask yourself how you can best define your company’s growth with your senior role and go for it.

caspian
    Free Member

I uploaded my CV on to a website and within a week I had an interview.

Could be the first of many, then? Wait for better whilst asking the potential offer for a deferred start date?

mikey74
    Free Member

Not possible: They already aren’t happy having to wait my 1 month notice period.

argee

If you’re still not 100%, even after going all the way to job offer, and you’re still weighing the pros and cons, then i’d say it’s best to stay where you are just now, and use review your options in a few months after the move to new premises. Worst case, you get a feel that nothing changes and thrown your CV back into jobsite, linkedin, etc and move on, you’ve got an offer after a week this time, so take that as another positive.

mikey74
    Free Member

To be honest, that is the way my thinking is going.

pjm84
    Free Member

Depends on what projects you are working on Mikey74.

Your obvious unhappy so it would be good to know why? We are both Architectural Technicians and therefore I may be able to offer some advice.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Potential new job musings’ is closed to new replies.