Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Potential motorsport ban
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

As Secretary of the local motorcycle club this popped into my inbox.
    https://www.acu.org.uk/News/2016/12/British-motorsport-could-end-due-to-EU-ruling/
    Wonder what else would be affected?
    Ride on mowers? Non cycle type ebikes obviously.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

With all due respect, what a load over over reactionary claptrap. Insurance companies scared that they’ll be paying out a fortune, make me laugh! 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

This has been doing the rounds for awhile. All the necessary exemptions will be implemented.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    project
    Free Member

surely insurance is self financing, you need it you pay for it, you dont pay you cant do it.

Nipper99
    Free Member

mattsccm – your Jambalaya in a different guise and I claim my £5.00.

See below for slightly less hysteria.

http://insurance.dwf.law/news-updates/2016/06/assessing-and-addressing-the-impact-of-vnuk/

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

irc

Why worry? We’ll be out the EU soon enough.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Running out of fossil fuel is likely to have rather a large impact too. 😛

CountZero

captainsasquatch – Member
    With all due respect, what a load over over reactionary claptrap. Insurance companies scared that they’ll be paying out a fortune, make me laugh

🙄
    If you’d taken the time to actually read what this is about, you’d have seen that the issue is that those taking part in all forms of motorsports, who currently do not need insurance would have to be insured, which would be almost impossible because no insurance company would be prepared to cover the almost certain likelihood of there being a collision while competing.
    Much like trying to find affordable insurance if you live on a flood-plain, or don’t you understand how that works either?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Will that apply to the nobs who ride flat chat along the A32 from Fareham to Alton, on any given Sunday, on Motorbikes?

I hope it does 😆

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If you’d taken the time to actually read what this is about, you’d have seen that the issue is that those taking part in all forms of motorsports, who currently do not need insurance would have to be insured, which would be almost impossible because no insurance company would be prepared to cover the almost certain likelihood of there being a collision while competing.

Is that because they would be paying out huge sums of money in claims?
    (still time to edit, but not the bit I’ve quoted, obvs).

milky1980
    Free Member

Talking with some old motorsport friends the idea seems to be to class 3rd parties as anyone who is not a competitor or safety representative (marshall, pit crew etc). The crowd watching basically. Could be difficult with stuff like rallying on open forest stages when cars leave the track or autograss and speedway with flying mud and gravel potentially taking someone’s eye out.

Motorsport in the UK is too valuable to put in jeopardy though so something will be found as a compromise. We are world leaders in developing cutting-edge racing tech that is then applied to commercial projects. Whatever form the racing takes, electric/petrol/hybrid/other this still applies.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Talking with some old motorsport friends the idea seems to be to class 3rd parties as anyone who is not a competitor or safety representative (marshall, pit crew etc). The crowd watching basically. Could be difficult with stuff like rallying on open forest stages when cars leave the track or autograss and speedway with flying mud and gravel potentially taking someone’s eye out.

I assumed that was the case anyway?

A bit like being insured 3rd party to ride a moutainbike round a muddy field as part of most events entry fee’s.

It’s a consultation, people have pointed out the obvious flaw in the proposal and it’ll get changed. Do you really think the EU wan’t to ban motorsport all over the EU; no more 24h Le Mans, Nurburgring, F1, etc?

milky1980
    Free Member

There was talk of being able to claim off a competitor if they were found to be responsible for a crash by the stewards, that would put up premiums to an unaffordable level! Some of the big teams have also looked into going the self-insured route too like a lot of big transport companies do. You basically deposit a large sum with the insurance ombusdman and that is used to pay out any claims that you cannot settle yourself. My employer does this but it involves large sums of money and guarantees so isn’t open to many.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Milky has it on the whole. I don’t pretend to understand the details, its just one of those things that is part of our sad modern society.
    With something like a closed to club trial there is no control over the 3rd parties. It could extend to that old pit bike in your garden or the ebike you ride in the woods.
    Suspect it will be somehow modified though.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Potential motorsport ban’ is closed to new replies.