Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • (Potential) Injury Advice – Clicking Knee
  • Duggan

I wonder if anybody has any thoughts on the below?

I was road cycling loads last summer and put in a fair few miles on the road and also a 3 or 4 session a week program on the turbo, following a plan which lasted 3 months.

Everything was fine and then I stopped cycling in October and switched to running over Winter.

About two weeks ago I started cycling again on the road bike and have jumped straight back into doing 3 turbo sessions a week and also a couple of pretty slow, easy spinning road rides outdoors at the weekend.

However I’ve noticed now on the turbo that my left knee feels like it “clicks” on the pedal stroke- it’s not painful and it’s not audible but I can definitely feel it. It’s at the front of my knee-cap and so I guess is the knee-cap not tracking properly?

Nothing in my set-up has changed- same saddle height, same cleats, same bike, turbo etc so I wouldn’t have thought it can be related to this.

The obvious answer is that I’ve simply jumped back into training too quickly after a lay-off but I’m wondering if this kind of knee injury can simply be down to training too much, too soon in the same way as if I’d have picked up a calf strain or a hamstring strain or something?

If I was to just rest it and then start again later more gently could this simply be the answer? Somehow something happening inside my knee seems more worrying than if I’ve just pulled a “normal” muscle.

Part of me wonders if maybe it was always like that but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t 😕

tjagain

Irregularities in the kneecap cartilage are not uncommon as are tendons clicking . If there is no pain or swelling I wouldn’t worry much – the classic “knee cartilage” is deeper in the joint and problems usually cause pain or restricted movement.

Remember advice on the internet is worth what you pay for it 😉

Duggan

Cheers Tj, appreciate the response! I might just take a couple of days rest then and try and taper back to training more, rather than dive straight back in at full tilt. I’m always super careful when dialing the running training back up but for some reason am a lot more cavalier when it comes to cycling.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I too have this now i run as well as cycle. It doesnt hurt so havent felt the need to get it looked at yet. I have also suffered from patellar tendonitis, which does hurt. I keep on top of that with squats and toe in/out leg raises prescribed by physio.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘(Potential) Injury Advice – Clicking Knee’ is closed to new replies.