Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Potential good news for access in Wales (Sorry if it's been done already)
  • Bruce
    timidwheeler

Agreed. It sounds pretty good.

oldejeans
    Free Member

This you mean?

“To enable cycling and horse riding on footpaths to occur under the same conditions as those provided for cycling on bridleways under section 30 of the Countryside Act 1968. These provisions allow for cycling without placing additional burdens of maintenance and liability on the local authority; and they prioritise the ordinary users of those paths. Whilst it would not place additional liabilities or maintenance burdens on local authorities, it would enable them to plan and implement surface and furniture improvements to routes that would add most value to the rights of way network. It would place the onus of checking the suitability of individual paths on users.”

timidwheeler

There were a few other good proposals but that is my favourite.

ninfan
    Free Member

Surprised this news hasn’t received more attention on here yet

Dirt are on the ball:
    https://dirtmountainbike.com/news/welsh-government-proposes-allowing-cycling-footpaths.html

Goes to show what happens when people get off their arses and engage with the system properly doesn’t it? I wonder how many people on here didn’t bother responding because it was too much hassle?

Worth saying that in between being a general dick and upsetting people on here, MTB access is something that I have been working on for years, and I was heavily involved in the Trails For Wales campaign. I feel that this proposal is a huge vindication for all of those who worked on it, and who have worked to get MTB advocacy taken seriously by our own community – perhaps we will now see more people get involved after seeing that it really can make a difference?

There’s a huge amount more coming – whilst being bloody great, this proposal isn’t enough, we want increased access to CROW Access Land as well, and C-UK are already working on a full response.

Wales first…. England next

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slmtn5H4aWI[/video]

ahwiles
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

Surprised this news hasn’t received more attention on here yet

see that word ‘proposes’ ? – i’ll believe this when it happens.

ninfan
    Free Member

see that word ‘proposes’ ? – i’ll believe this when it happens.

Well, Its a metric ****ton closer than it was six months ago. The only way its going to happen is if people get off their arses and help campaign to get it through.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Proposals do have a fairly high rate of success here in Wales.

It might be one of those things that’s harder to keep than to get though.

I love the idea, but I also don’t want it ruined by idiots screaming STRAVAAAAAA and skiltling walkers and horse riders down footpaths.

Pook

Indeed great news. Advocacy works.
    The Advocacy Files – a celebration of effort

scuttler

I love the idea, but I also don’t want it ruined by idiots screaming STRAVAAAAAA and skiltling walkers and horse riders down footpaths.

True – but the priority would be the same as per BW’s. Access means more sharing and greater recognition of priority. As such it’s an education thing (rather than anything to do with legislation for rights of way) that could/does exist now where we do our best to ensure our riding buddies and those others we encounter get to recognise this.

molgrips
    Free Member

So what can we do now? Is it worth writing to my AM as well as responding to the link?

Re the Stravassholes, I would rather see everything opened up but restrictions placed on certain sensitive areas. This isn’t the Peak District – in most of Wales you never see anyone, there are only a few busy pinch points.

thenorthwind

Perhaps the most important link:
    You can respond!

aracer
    Free Member

Wow – excellent news.

This appears to be a proposal of action they’re going to take unless anybody can come up with any good reasons not to – and I don’t think they’re expecting anybody to come up with good reasons not to given it’s far from the first step in this process, the consultation on improving access has been going on for ages with all interested parties having already responded. Thanks to ninfan et al for all the work they’ve done.

Going a bit OT, I’m pleased and a even a bit surprised to see the proposals for access to water. It seems a bit less of a definitive proposal than the ones for cycling, but the suggestion appears to be the sort of open access we were after, let’s hope it doesn’t get knocked back.

ninfan
    Free Member

So what can we do now?

Funnily enough, I’ve just had a two hour meeting on exactly that…

We have until September to formally respond, so we are going to sit down and develop a detailed document regards the different proposals and questions. The headline proposal for all of us is of course regards footpaths, but there are some technical details that require clarity regards taking 1984 act cycle tracks into the definitive map as ‘cycle paths’ and a few other points, plus of course the access land issue. This will take a couple of weeks at least to pull together an extensive and fully consulted response.

Suffice to say, when that is drafted, Its fairly certain that you will see a Cycling-UK campaign to get support for the response for the cycling community. Although the last one was an email pro-forma type, I think its likely that this one might require a bit more engagement from supporters to really ram home what a development this is for MTB. Some ideas have been discussed, but I’ll leave you in suspense for now.

Obviously, its even better if people are willing to sit down and write their own responses to the proposals and questions using the link above especially persuading the WG to take that extra step and permitting bikes on access land (so that we enjoyed the same access as walkers and horse riders)

Approaching your AM? Brilliant, do it – and if I can suggest to any of you that pestering your local pub, bike shop, bike cafe, bike-friendly B&B, doctor, mental health nurse etc. to write in supporting increased cycle access because of the health, economy and tourism aspects are absolutely vital to winning the argument.

I would also add that, on a related note we met with a Ramblers and BHS a couple of weeks ago, plus a couple of National Parks and Natural England this week – DEFRA are starting to take notice, as are National Trails -This advocacy work is really starting to dig in deep now, the noises coming out of some of these places are really positive, change really is on the horizon.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Potential good news for access in Wales (Sorry if it's been done already)’ is closed to new replies.