Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • potential ebay returns question
  • gonzy
    Free Member

bought my son a new tablet last november. i then bought a pair of glass screen protectors from ebay. the ones that got sent werent very good…they didnt fit properly as the glass was slightly warped at the corners so would lift off by itself…both protectors did this.
    a couple of emails later and the ebay retailer sent some replacements. i never got round to fitting them and they were left in my work desk until yesterday when i opened the packaging only to find that both screen protectors had massive cracks in them.
    i know for a fact that the package hadnt been stored incorrectly so they hadnt been damaged while they were in my desk.
    my only conclusion is that the postman was a bit rough wit the packaging which the retailer didnt label as fragile or that they had sent me some more duff ones.
    bearing in mind that they cost £10 each i have again emailed the retailer but i suspect it will be too late to do anything.
    am i still covered by any consumer laws or do i take it on the chin and move on?

cynic-al
    Free Member

3 months later, I doubt it.

wwaswas

3 months?

Ask yourself what you’d say if the situation were reversed?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    gonzy
    Free Member

i thought that would be the case….just wanted to check in case there was anything that would go in my favour

Cougar

Your right to reject under CRA is 30 days.

So, you’re now into the realms of not fit for purpose / unsatisfactory quality / not as described. Can they be reasonably described as any of these things?

I’d expect a fitted screen protector to last longer than three months, so that would surely be unsatisfactory quality, and the onus is on the supplier to prove their wasn’t an inherent fault. Damaged in transit and then ignoring them for three months however, you’re on pretty loose ground. Playing devil’s advocate, if I were a seller I’d be tempted to file your explanation under “yeah, right.”

I guess realistically your options are 1) suck it up and don’t do it again, 2) appeal to the seller as a gesture of goodwill, or 3) lie. For the sake of ten quid I’d probably just bin them personally. It’s clearly a vital purchase if the tablet’s been in use for three months whilst they’ve been sat on a desk.

gonzy
    Free Member

Damaged in transit and then ignoring them for three months however, you’re on pretty loose ground. Playing devil’s advocate, if I were a seller I’d be tempted to file your explanation under “yeah, right.”

they were sent in sealed reinforced cardboard packaging. the protectors themselves were then wrapped in foam envelopes. there was no way of knowing they were damaged until i opened the packaging.

It’s clearly a vital purchase if the tablet’s been in use for three months whilst they’ve been sat on a desk.

the ones the seller originally sent were being used. i had merely pointed out as part of the feedback that they didnt fit very well and were lifting in the corners and they sent replacements. that cracked cracked last week

but yeah i suspect they aren’t really fit for purpose but given the time span i’ll have to take a £20 hit on the chin
    i have emailed the seller in the hope f some form of goodwill gesture but no reply yet…its a shame i cant take back the positive review i gave them….or can i?

cynic-al
    Free Member

given you didn’t even complain about the first ones then used them happily for 3 months, I’d not have done anything.

Don’t think you can change feedback. That’s the point.

Cougar

they sent replacements. that cracked cracked last week

Hang on. They cracked last week, or they were found to be cracked when you opened a three month old delivery?

If you took receipt of the replacements inside of 30 days ago, fire them back under CRA (and stop buying screen protectors off eBay).

gonzy
    Free Member

Hang on. They cracked last week, or they were found to be cracked when you opened a three month old delivery?

no…i originally bought 2 off the retailer…first one didnt stick on so i tried the second one. that one did stick but was lifting at the corners. i emailed the seller to ask if this should be happening. they said it shouldnt and sent 2 new replacements anyway.
    i left the original protector on as it still kind of worked….the annoying thing was that you had to push the corners back down.
    then that one cracked last week. the replacements were in the desk at work. TBH i’d kind of forgotten about them until the original protector cracked last week. i took them home yesterday…took them out of the packaging to fit them only to find both were cracked badly.

gonzy
    Free Member

anyway got an email response from the seller just a short while ago….they’ve offered to replace them again FOC

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘potential ebay returns question’ is closed to new replies.