Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Potato mashers
  • Ambrose

Please can someone recommend me a good, relable, effective, durable and comfortable potato masher. So far this year I’ve tried three different types- each has it’s failings- generally they are just too flimsy.

FWIW- I do cook the spuds properly.

Mackem

For mash REALLY boil the tatties. Stick some butter and milk in and then a fork will do the job fine.

parkesie
    Free Member

Cake mixer

jonahtonto
    Free Member

i use an electric whisk

RobHilton
    Free Member

Got one of these recently – pretty good.

http://www.josephjoseph.com/product/smasher

crankboy
    Free Member

a potato ricer easy to use and makes better mash . Do not over boil potatos to make mash.

Potato Ricer 3mm holes

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Ambrose, I know what you mean have had a couple just bend. I have a potato ricer as above but it’s a bit fiddly. I cannot recall where I bought my “good masher” (might even be IKEA) but it’s definitely thicker at the point where it bends 90 degrees. I then whisk rapidly with a fork

Totally agree with @crankboy, do not over boil the spuds, this just makes them too wet. Warm/hot milk is a good tip too to stop the mash cooling.

Edit: this sort of design may be good, oxo make decent stuff although I don’t have one of these

OXO masher

iain1775
    Free Member

Robotic one?

MrNutt
    Free Member

cook the peeled potato, with the peeled skin, in a vac bag. then pass through a tamis sieve. Then add cream, seasoning & butter stirring like hell over heat.

boring but the best way.

z1ppy

I’ve had this annoyance, final gave up & bought a ricer, but by the time you’ve used it on a pile of spuds, there cold. Yes you can re-warm them, but its not exactly a quick mash…

No idea why I’ve not thought to get one like my brothers, our gran asked with raised eye brows what the hell it was:
    http://www.thegreenhead.com/2008/04/simply-mash-potato-masher.php

found it/a clone for sale

Ambrose

Thanks for the tips re: cooking mash.

Ricers- I agree, far too much faffage.

Oxo- I’ll look to see if it is tough enough for me!

Jambalaya, z1ppy- I wholeheartedly agree. I saw the thing your gran commented upon a few days ago, expensive but if it works it’s worthwhile.

tron
    Free Member

Buy an old one from eBay or a car boot. The kind with an oval plate covered in lots of small slots / holes, attached to the handle by two thick wires / rods. Unfortunately these are now mainly on eBay with the words “vintage”, “kitchenalia” and “I saw you coming”.

I don’t think I’ve seen any “modern” potato masher that actually works… Lots of nice looking ones, but very little functionality.

crankboy
    Free Member

Tron that is my mum’s masher and what I had as a student surely you can still buy them new ?

mills
    Free Member

+1 for the one recommended by rob hilton

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Another recommendation for Trons masher. The type of spud matters too. I’m currently enjoying Desiree spuds for mashing.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

use a potato ricer for the lightest mash. A hand whisk also works well.

Use some of the water from boiling the spuds and milk (50:50) for the needed liquid.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I have that OXO masher. Would recommend it.

cinnamon_girl

I sympathise! Have just bought another masher as previous was unfit for purpose.

Use mine for swede and carrots, yum. 🙂

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

The Germans make good ones.

technicallyinept
    Free Member
    takisawa2

Had plenty, but this Ikea one takes some beating…

IMAG2081 by pten2106, on Flickr

Don’t overcook the spuds, outsides need to be soft with a bit of resistance as the fork goes further in. Drain off & leave for a few mins with the lid on. Then butter but just a splash of milk. Then it’s down to brute force.
    🙂

A whipping kind of action works best.

onandon
    Free Member

That’s very similar to the WMF one I have. Makes great smooth mash with no lumps.

globalti
    Free Member

When in doubt in the kitchen I turn to Lakeland:

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/17108/OXO-Good-Grips-Potato-Masher

(They’ve got a lovely cafe in Windermere too!)

Edit: Eeek! I’ve just seen the Amazon link above…. looks like I’m being ripped off at Lakeland!

anono

Plenty of good advice here, but what everyone wants to know is which masher makes the potato come alive

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

The ikea one works for me as well.

DezB
    Free Member

This sort is best

Good grip and easy downward/twisting action.
    Used it for this only yesterday. Awesome 😀

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve got the OXO Good grips one and it’s excellent.

I’ve got the non scratch version though:

chiefgrooveguru

Don’t boil the potatoes, microwave them. Works so much better! Easier too.

jamiea
    Free Member

Seriously, +10000 for a potato ricer.

Pass them through, put back in the pan with a good dollop of butter, a little milk to loosen, season to taste then bit of a stir and you’re good to go.

We’ve got a plastic jobbie, but it struggles with much more that one chunk of potato, a metal one should see you better.

I have a potato ricer as above but it’s a bit fiddly.

I’ve only found it a faff if it’s left to dry before washing up- the potato yipp seizes it solid! Get it apart and soaking as soon as you’ve used it, washup and put back together ready for next time. Easy!

Cheers,
    Jamie

pondo

Buy an old one from eBay or a car boot. The kind with an oval plate covered in lots of small slots / holes, attached to the handle by two thick wires / rods

+1 for old school – did manage to find a reasonable modern equivelent at Debenhams for, like, eight quid, although a quick search of their website shows one on sale for £2.50, but the stupid picture doesn’t show the mashing face of it, so not sure if it’s the same one.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_331008996797UMAS_-1

Couldn’t believe how hard it was to find a decent one – most of the modern ones are stupid plastic or a crap flexy design.

rephlexer

jamiea +bajillion

all you savages need to get on the ricer tip – 70’s mashers off ebay, jesus wept!

rice em up, fill them empty pan wi water and chuck the ricer in, dishwash it at your leisure and enjoy some funk:

[audio src="http://www.thinknologyradio.com/audio/ThinkToy_RadioMix_009_128k.mp3" /]

I’m an open minded guy but lumps are banned at ours

takisawa2

Ricers are for southerners, y’all need to man up & get some of that Ikea action going down.

molgrips
    Free Member

Elbow grease is the best thing. Do it by hand but work it well, as once the potatoes break up it continues to change as you keep mashing. Electric devices seem to go all the way to puree too quickly.

jamiea
    Free Member

So all of doing it wrong, you’ve actually tried a ricer and gone back? 😉

Cheers,
    Jamie

maxtorque

STW ‘Niche’ potato masher installed in my kitchen and ready to go:

😉

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Proper mash should be made with a masher, ricer is for pomme puree don’t you know.

zilog6128

I just use a masher to break the tatties up. Could probably use anything though. Then it’s just half a stick of butter, a wooden spoon and elbow grease. 😀

dickster
    Free Member

Steam the potatoes. I find this the best and easiest way to a smooth mash.

Takes a little longer but so much easier to mash, irrespecitve of masher and as smooth as you like.

DezB
    Free Member

2 pages on mashed spuds. Only on STW 🙂 (and maybe cookingpotatoes.com)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Potato mashers’ is closed to new replies.