• This topic has 121 replies, 61 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • "Potato Alley is better than the beast". Discuss.
  • Pook

Having a disagreement with hora.

allthegear
    Free Member

Potato Alley seems longer than The Beast. Hora might not like it as he’d need to procure a new bike for the second half??

Rachel

banks
    Free Member

Potato alley if your a little bitch. The beast ftw!

Pook

Potato alley is much longer. Both fun but potato alley has it for me for overall satisfaction.

Perhaps I’m ‘a little bitch’ as a result. Hey ho.

Joe

Miserable little stretch of dull bumpy boringness.

Garry_Lager

El wrongo. Not even rising to the level of wrong, in fact – as how can you compare a farm track like spud alley to the splendid rocky arboreal majesty of the beast? You can’t.

Pook

I must admit to bring impressed with the level of reasoning though.

thepodge
    Free Member

The beast, then I can bang on about how awesome I am having cleaned it many many times

banks
    Free Member

If Potato alley was a little steeper it would be cracking, it’s just a little too broken up atm.

yunki
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden either, nor even seen or heard of those trails before today.. but being STW I feel more than qualified to comment..

They’re both shit.. you need to come down to Dartmoor and try some proper mountain biking

scaredypants

I’d always assumed that “the beast” was named ironically and that in fact it is a bumpy farm track

Or, in yunkiese, you want to try the New Forest if it’s gnar you’re after

(… err, you little bitches)

carlos
    Free Member

The Beast isn’t that hard at all, some people just struggle/feel overwhelmed with the size of the rocks and it is a bit of speed v commitment.

Potato Alley is Defo longer and at speed is pretty dam good, keep on the main track and off the banking and you’ll defo finish with a grin. PA also keeps you off the A57 if heading over Lockerbrook

Happy to ride either, as a single descent doesn’t make a ride imo.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Both are your typical peak district mind numbing if you let off the brakes and let the bike do its thing descent, is eroded farm/cart track.

Reckon the beast just edges it though, half way down, a couple of slabs and edges that you can gap.

grum
    Free Member

I’ve not ridden either, nor even seen or heard of those trails before today.. but being STW I feel more than qualified to comment..

They’re both shit.. you need to come down to Dartmoor Calderdale and try some proper mountain biking

+1

rickon
    Free Member

They’re both shit.. you need to come down to Dartmoor Calderdale Scotland and try some proper mountain biking

+1

cnud
    Free Member

The Beast for me as the corners add interest through line choice, not really something to consider on Potato Alley. I remember both routes being horrific “back in the day” when no suspension was the norm, so their ease of riding is relative really.

dannyh
    Free Member

Potato alley for me (I guess I’m in the ‘bitch’ category, then).

It’s a shame the step after the flat right hander has broken down and fallen forwards, though. It used to be great fun just to stamp my left foot down round that corner and launch the step. Now you can’t be so sure what is around that corner, so unless you have a ‘spotter’ you can’t just blam around it and launch.

I do like the Beast as well. Is it considered somehow amazing to clean it, though? If you’ve got your head switched on to picking lines well in advance it isn’t too much of a problem(?)

thepodge
    Free Member

Corners on the beast? There is only one & it’s massive

cnud
    Free Member

… corner adds…. S now in correct position

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They’re both shit.. you need to come down to Dartmoor Calderdale Scotland the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon and try some proper mountain biking.

bigdean

Potato alley. The beast is ok but its over to quickly and not a fast fun run. Potato alley has fast bits with that broken angled bed rock in the middle. Plus if you dont use the chicken runs the first few goes you get massive leg burn from being in a tucked/ bent leg position for a few minutes.

Having said all that i plan the majority of my rides to end with the lockerbrook decent (screaming mile?).

MartynS

Potato alley for me.
    It’s longer and just more fun, the beast has a bloody gate half way down…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Horses for courses. I’ve always preferred the more technical nature of the beast. I’d rather a technical challenge than a high speed run any day of the week.

The wife used to prefer potato alley but after a little coaching, has pretty much tamed the beast. Only dabbed last time because of our mate being slow in front of her.

She knows that once she’s cleared it, she can then call it the fluffy kitten.

Plus, I can then loop around and just clear potato alley as a climb.

thepodge
    Free Member

I’ve always considered the beast to start after the gate

For me, riding isn’t about pretending I’m in an episode of junior kick start so the challenge factor doesn’t do anything for me but I have no preference one over the other

sprocker
    Free Member

The one in between them is better than both of them

BadlyWiredDog

Both interesting technical climbing challenges. Not sure I’d bother riding down either, just flat, featureless fire roads with the odd rock sticking out etc. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Potato alley is only longer due to the additional top bit from Hope kiss which I actually like.

In two 5metre sections potato alley reminds me of the old warna Scar.

Then its all lose stones.

Question. At the start of Potato alley-straight ahead in the distance is a huge section of woods (seems to be aboveish Snake Inn. Any trails in there?

Potato Alley is just a rattly, boring drag.

The Beast is way better IMO.

Lockerbrook over the other side is better than both, with Hagg Farm close behind it (if the gates are open)

Screaming mile used to be fun for speed, but not ridden it for ages and last time I did, it had been horribly sanitised with the loosest, squirmiest gravel surface I’ve ever encountered.

Pook

Are screaming mile and lockerbrook not one and the same?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no screaming mile is the shit on with marbles at the bottom (cattle grid)

banks
    Free Member

@hora – no

hora
    Free Member

Criminal. It looks steep/good

Drac

Up-down, up-down,

All together now,

Mr Potato is rolling around.

Your friend and mine,

He’s happy all the time.

Mr Potato is coming to town.

banks
    Free Member

Tried, just isn’t worth bothering with tbh.

jekkyl

I’d been all over the lakes before I went up and did the more local peak district. Have to admit on seeing the beast I had seen nothing like it, it is an awe inspiring piece of track.

hora
    Free Member

I salute your sacrifice though 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Jekkyl you are taking the piss right?

yossarian
    Free Member

They’re both shit.. you need to come down to Dartmoor Calderdale Scotland the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon or Romney Marsh and try some proper mountain biking.

Soft northern ****

matt_outandabout

Tattie alley is ace.
    Beast is bandit to ride, but the day you do get it right… .ooooo, nice.

Drac

I can’t remember which one Potato alley is or if I’ve even ridden it. I’ve ridden the Beast it’s a nice decent but was expecting it to be a lot trickier than I found it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘"Potato Alley is better than the beast". Discuss.’ is closed to new replies.