Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Postponed Interview – Advice Needed
  • shooterman

I had an interview arranged for 12.30 today. I believe I have a strong chance of getting the job.

An hour before the interview I get a call from HR. One of the panel has buggered off to a civi function and wanted to push all the interviews back an hour. This created a problem for me as I had a number of appointments in the afternoon. However, in order to accomodate I rang the office and asked that my half day off be extended to a full day but I would come in later and see the clients. Work were not happy at this "messing about".

Then I get another call. The missing panel member could not be contacted and I would just have to turn up and hope the interview could take place. I said that didn't suit and I would have to reschedule as it would out me under too much time pressure.

Anyhow, work were frosty when I got back. I weas asked directly where I was. I don't have any more annual leave to take and I think if I take more time off I would need to get the job as my current work would suss what's going on.

I don't like my current job. The job I'm interviewing for is civil service with a decent salary, pension and work life balance. Should I take the risk of a second interview?

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Should I take the risk of a second interview?

It depends

The job sounds sweet but Id be worried about working for anyone who chooses to p1ss around with people turning up for interview like you describe

jd-boy
    Free Member

Ya, second that

scaredypants

can you think of a way to excuse this person's behaviour ?

Maybe he/she leads a big dept that was being visited by a newly installed politician who needs some major buttering-up to avoid tha axe falling too hard or somethign like that ?

If not, and if they are likely to becentral to your job, I'd be wary as they seem not to take it too seriously

br
    Free Member

and what about the third and fourth interviews, or will your new holiday year have kicked in by then?

shooterman

They went to meet Prince Charles.

Only one interview in the process as far as I am aware.

I take the point about messing around but there were other candidates who were messed around today as well.

jam-bo

civil service is one interview, first past the post. If you score more points than the other candidate then you get offered the job.

three interviewers, 45 mins, one from HR, two from department. they will all score you on your answers to predefined questions on an pre-agreed schema and decide on an overall mark at the end.

i did the course…

Onzadog
    Free Member

on merit recruitment. what a crock!

I didn't know this was how it worked when I went for the role I'm currently in but I soon twigged. I could see one of the interviewer sheets so just rattled his list of buzz words off. Not bad for reading upside down. I'm surprised he didn't get suspicious that they were all delivered in order!

Bull sh1t bingo more like.

shooterman

My concern is that there is someone acting up in the role. The attitude of messing candidates around pricked my suspicions that the interviews were just a charade as the job was going to the person acting up in the role.

When I say civil service I mean Quango.

jam-bo

doesn't matter if there is a internal candidate. if you score more than them, you will overturn them.

reality is, its stacked in their favour as they are likely to know all the answers to the questions….

hels
    Free Member

jam bo is spot on. And sorry but IME the successful candidate gets told the same day if they have the job, the others are left hanging a few days in case person A decided not to take it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Postponed Interview – Advice Needed’ is closed to new replies.