Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)
  • Postmen to deliver 22 million copies of the Sun (WTF)
  • binners

The Sun is more than aware how it is received in Merseyside. I think personally the whole idea of delivering it to them, whether they want it or not, is fairly typical of Murdochs empire. Utterly insensitive, and actually pretty bloody provocative!!

Your analogy is, quite frankly, complete bollocks! This isn’t about some airy-fairy beliefs system. Its about the vile behaviour of deliberately fabricating stories to give an absolutely appalling impression that the people who lost their lives at Hillsborough pretty much deserved what they got!

And if you can’t understand the depth of feeling that provokes, then you’re an utterly insensitive idiot too

Frodo

Binners the anology is spot on.

Berate the Sun for being insensitive, sending out mass unsolicited mail and exercising poor judgement.

Don’t however defend people who are refusing to do their job that they are paid for. We all have to do things from time to time that makes us uncomfortable but we get on with it – its called being proffesional.

binners

Theres not much point arguing this any further. You’re clearly unfamiliar the concept of having principles that extend further than commercial contracts.

franksinatra

You’re clearly unfamiliar the concept of having principles.

Maybe. I am however familiar with the principle of being accountable to shareholders and doing the job that I am paid to do.

Frodo

Your missing the point. Maintaining professionalism means keeping your principles out of work (like being vegetarion and working in MacDonalds). If you don’t like what your being asked to do you should get a different job.

I really don’t see it as unreasonable?

imnotverygood

Don’t however defend people who are refusing to do their job that they are paid for. We all have to do things from time to time that makes us uncomfortable but we get on with it – its called being proffesional.

No it’s called thinking that a monetary contract is more important than your principles.

Junkyard
    Free Member

We all have to do things from time to time that makes us uncomfortable but we get on with it – its called being proffesional.

You are getting close to a Nuremberg defence there.

Are you saying that they have to do anything they are asked to by their bosses and any refusal is unreasonable or just this one is unreasonable?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Sun still to this day struggles with moral dilemmas. On Saturday all the other papers focused their front pages on the previous day’s 70th anniversary of the D Day Landings.

The Sun however, which claims to pride itself on supporting “Our Boys”, chose instead to focus its front page on who Mick Jagger is allegedly shagging.

dashed
    Free Member

its called being proffesional.

Oh the ironing!! 😀

TheSanityAssassin

I’m with Binners on this. Some of you lot don’t know what principles are. In the words of Jim Royle “Deliver the **** Sun in Liverpool? My arse…”

Frodo

Junkyard – Uncomfortable does not equate to illegal.

imnotverygood – My contract is my word. That is more important as far as I am concerned.

and Ernie – I’m not defending the Sun, its full of crap. That doesn’t mean I would refuse to carry out my job. Sure in that situation I would’nt feel comfortable but it comes with the job.

DezB
    Free Member

If I get one, I’m going to wipe my arse on it first, then put it in the postbox.

binners

I am however familiar with the principle of being accountable to shareholders and doing the job that I am paid to do.

Good for you. If theres one principle worth upholding in life then its being accountable to shareholders.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

and Ernie – I’m not defending the Sun, its full of crap. That doesn’t mean I would refuse to carry out my job. Sure in that situation I would’nt feel comfortable but it comes with the job.

Eh? Are you confusing me with another poster ? I haven’t made any comment about you defending the Sun.

dashed
    Free Member

Def also with binners – can’t believe some of the shite Frodo is spouting. My contract is my word and more important that your principles?? I’m glad you’re such a morally upstanding citizen 🙄

My copy also going back in the post box, along with any other I can lay my hands on.

imnotverygood

Frodo, I suggest you have a quick look back thorough history at people who felt that because they had given their word, they were obliged to do whatever someone else told them to do. It really isn’t a principle that you should value above all others

mudshark
    Free Member

Those posties outside the Liverpool area must be quite an unprincipled lot.

slowoldman

Looks like the 12th will be “gaffer tape on the letter box day”.

crankboy
    Free Member

“Those posties outside the Liverpool area must be quite an unprincipled lot” why are they going to find people for whom Hilsbourgh still has a huge personal meaning and thrust The Sun on them?

crankboy
    Free Member

Actually doing what you are told because you are paid to do it is the very opposite of the meaning of professional.

mudshark
    Free Member

Seems likely.

midlifecrashes

What should I do if I like the Sun, but my postman is a racist BNP member. Help me STW!

binners

Actually doing what you are told because you are paid to do it is the very opposite of the meaning of professional.

I’d say its the very definition of unquestioning idiocy

D0NK

The thing is; only someone who’s been living in a cave wouldn’t know the (well-founded) animosity to the Sun in Merseyside

not been living in a cave but had forgotten about the sun/hillsborough thing.

But then again I’m always forgetting which of my mates has slept with whose girlfriend (in the past, most are happily married now) and occasionally cause offence when I inadvertently talk about someone/something I shouldn’t to someone I shouldn’t.

So if it’s an illegal strike/not doing a particular bit of work, are RM allowed to discipline staff for it? and also in these slightly more enlightened times would they?

daftvader
    Free Member

Thanks to all those saying they will put it back in the post box. Its enough that we have to deliver the bloody things please dont make us collect them too. Its not going to make one jot of difference to royal mail but to us posties its a pain in the arse. Just put them in the recycling along with any of the other junk you get. Then get onto customer service and take yourselves off the list for receiving un-addressed items this should then stop you getting as much crap, also if you feel that strongly again get onto customer service and complain. The majority of us posties are just trying to do a good job in the face of general public scorn.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Would you still think that if you were the paying customer who had entered into a contract for RM to deliver your product to every address?

No, I wouldn’t but then I wouldn’t have anything to do with the publication of the sheer garbage that the sun posted about Hillsborough and neither would most normal people. This isn’t about the normal day to day racist misogynistic bullshit that that feeble excuse for a newspaper dreams up, it’s about one particular episode that any person with any sense of decency and morality about themselves should protest about. Maybe if principles had been a bit more evident in Murdoch’s empire, that particular edition would never have seen the light of day, but it did so claiming any form of moral high ground claiming morals otr principles is disingenuous to the extreme.
    So well done posties, this enhances their reputation but does nothing for that of the piss poor management regime

brooess
    Free Member

Anyone who criticises the posties for taking this action would be well-advised not to go anywhere near Liverpool and make comments like that in public – and if you’re not prepared to do that then maybe best not do it from behind a keyboard either. There are some things which just aren’t appropriate to be criticising.

You might want to take your lead from the Royal Mail

A Royal Mail spokesman said: “Any concerns about this delivery in Skelmersdale will be handled sensitively with fairness, dignity and fully respecting the views of individuals.”

In case you need reminding:

Ninety-six men, women and children died as a result of the Hillsborough Disaster on 15 April 1989. It remains the most serious tragedy in UK sporting history. Thousands suffered physical injury and/or long-term psychological harm.

Government Enquiry

hora
    Free Member

Always knew Binners was a secret Scouser..

For the rest of you-is there anything that you are not outraged by?

dirtydog
    Free Member

Brooess+1

The following is a statement from Royal Mail workers at the Skelmersdale Post Office Depot….

“Next Thursday and Friday the Sun plan to send through Royal Mail 22,000,000 copies of a World Cup issue of the Sun.
    Liverpool, Warrington, and some CH postcodes are exempt from this. However, as it stands the staff at Skelmersdale are being told we will have to deliver them.
    With the backing of the CWU, this morning we informed them that if any copies of the Sun cross the gates, we will walk out
    We have been urging people to voice their concerns about this by ringing customer services. Any support would be gratefully appreciated, let’s stop 60,000 copies of that shite from coming out.“

The customer services number is 03457740740

Please share this number far and wide, give it a call, show solidarity with the posties, and let the bosses know you don’t want the Sun pushing through your door!

JFT96

So that’s 03457740740

Junkyard
    Free Member

Your constant attempts to get a reaction and play dumb/fail the Turing test dont outrage anyone but many of us pity the disparity between the internet Hora and the real world Hora.

The actions of the Sun that day were utterly unforgivable, what they did, to a grieving city, was beyond despicable.
    Anyone with morals would view it as such and understand

pictonroad

My family are all scousers, no point being surprised by this is there. Sun is immoral crap owned by an evil amnesiac Jeffrey Archer cliche. Royal Mail are a private company whose bottom line is sacrosanct. Principles can go hang. Just put it in the bin and file as another part of life that makes you want to get off.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Quite impressed that the CWU have gone up against the Sun, even if it is limited to Skelmersdale.

Elsewhre it’s a daft idea – they should have just reduced it to 10p or had people giving it away on the street.

timc
    Free Member

Frodo – Member
    We all have to do things from time to time that makes us uncomfortable but we get on with it – its called being proffesional.

It’s called being a spineless little sh1thouse round our way mate 😉

binners

I wonder which bright spark in the Marketing dept dreamt this one up then?

As a promotional campaign, its been really successful. Reminding everyone, as if we needed reminding, what a truly vile, poisonous and squalid little publication it really is.

They literally can’t give it away

postierich
    Free Member

Would have thought the outraged people will be stopping their Sky subscriptions to seeing that its part of the Murdoch empire!
    Its a pain in the ass delivering door 2 doors and papers but it keeps the price of a stamp down for parcels and letters giving the public a cheaper service 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…..their Sky subscriptions to seeing that its part of the Murdoch empire!

Was the rest of the Murdoch empire following a simular line over Hillsborough as the Sun ? Did the Times make the same accusations ? I didn’t think they did.

franksinatra

They literally can’t give it away

Unfortunately they can and they will, by the millions. They also sell millions, just not on merseyside. And unfortunately people will still read it many will not question the tone or content.

doh
    Free Member

Liking all the posters who stick their junk mail back in the post box, all that does is cause probs for the poor sods that handle it. A quick call to your local delivery office will get the nice manager to stop it for you. Everyone is happy.
    And you really think if RM didn’t do it nobody else will?

Heard the 6 workers where present at the game is this confirmed.

project
    Free Member

Lots of numbers fr royal mail fail on directiory inquires to make your point of view known, and as others have said shove it back in the box,because if the workers deliver it, then they should also collect it, thats what they get paid for do they .

stoffel
    Free Member

Rather than just shoving it back in a postbox, why not simply put it in a plain envelope with the minimum postage required, and send it back to News International HQ? That way, the RM will gain extra revenue (satisfying those important shareholders), lots of postal workers will get some extra overtime (which of course they can choose to do), and NI has to deal with the headache of all that extra post. They may even have to employ some temporary workers to help, which will benefit those individuals and help ease the local unemployment situation temporarily.

That way, no-one loses out but NI.

As for those protesting that the postal workers should ‘just follow orders without question’; I, personally, am glad there are still people out there who are principled enough to recognise that sometimes, ethics and morality are more important than money.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Postmen to deliver 22 million copies of the Sun (WTF)’ is closed to new replies.