Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Posting messages to dead people on social networks.
  • vermillion
    Free Member

I’ve seen this a few times since being a Facebooker.
    Posting messages on deceased friends timelines e.g. R.I.P mate,you’ll be sadly missed.
    Or posting a message to a dead elderly relative(who wasn’t on facebook/twitter) on your own page. A sad day, R.I.P Uncle Bob.

Is it just me,or is this a strange thing to do?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s creepy

project
    Free Member

Everyone of us treats and reacts to a bereavemnet diferently, and everyone of has to deal with it every so often, wnhen your time comes to address these issues, then you may understand others emotions.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Nothing is strange on Facebook. Full of bloody attention seekers.

anagallis_arvensis

People did that on my brothers facebook page. I took a lot of strength from it.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Deleted

project
    Free Member

It shows to other freinds you cared and allows you to share memories with others

vermillion
    Free Member

[/quote]It shows to other freinds you cared and allows you to share memories with other

Isn’t that what funerals are for?

project
    Free Member

Not all of us can attend funerals, and not all of us know when a freind dies suddenly.

miketually
    Free Member

No stranger than having similar comments carved onto stones and set in the ground.

What’s weirder is my friend’s dead mother occasionally likes posts, because her husband shared her FB account and still uses it.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Seems no more or less odd to me than the RIP messages you get on here to people that died.
    I have a friend who died a couple of years back who had a facebook page. I think she only ever used it once, and clearly never will now, but it just feels wrong to ‘unfriend’ her.
    I think dealing with the dead is something that social networks still haven’t got a proper handle on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If your on Facebook, you’ll know.

Heard a story from a friend who works offshore about someone who was involved in an accident, in which the guy sadly lost his life. Guys widow found out on Facebook.

vermillion
    Free Member

I think Project nailed it.

It’s to show other people you cared.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I guess folk just want to remember and I guess they are the kind of folk who share / overshare on FB

Its not what I would do – think FB sharing is a tad weird anyway TBH- but I see no harm in it

aracer
    Free Member

No stranger than having similar comments carved onto stones and set in the ground.

Or sending flowers to a funeral, or a RIP message anywhere else for that matter. Of course it’s not for the benefit of the deceased person, but as far as they’re concerned you might as well skip all the ceremony and just dump them in a hole.

yunki
    Free Member

Everyone of us treats and reacts to a bereavemnet diferently, and everyone of has to deal with it every so often, wnhen your time comes to address these issues, then you may understand others emotions.

succinct and to the point

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s super creepy when they respond 😯

CountZero

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Nothing is strange on Facebook STW. Full of bloody attention seekers.

FTFY.

tomhoward

Girl I used to work with has just posted an RIP message to her granddad who, according to her post, died before she was born. 35 years ago.

Nowt as queer as folk…

phunkmaster
    Free Member

I’ve done it. For me it was a way of saying goodbye and sharing an anecdote or two that his other friends might smile about. It is also a way for me to show his mum, dad, sister, brother in law (people I have never met) how much he meant to me.

One of his other friends posts daily on his page. I guess, for her, it’s cathartic.

You also have to remember that the world has changed and the way we communicate has changed. I found it difficult to look at my friends page because his electronic footprint was still there and I guess it made it more vivid that, for some, one minute you’re there and the next thing you’re gone.

It’s no different to messages in the paper or threads on here saying RIP and the such.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Some of my cousins/aunties do this on my Grandad’s birthday, I wouldn’t find it that odd if he had of been a decent bloke but he was a complete dickhead. Not sure it would be possible to be a worse Granddad/Dad.

project
    Free Member

I’ve done it. For me it was a way of saying goodbye and sharing an anecdote or two that his other friends might smile about. It is also a way for me to show his mum, dad, sister, brother in law (people I have never met) how much he meant to me.

One of his other friends posts daily on his page. I guess, for her, it’s cathartic.

You also have to remember that the world has changed and the way we communicate has changed. I found it difficult to look at my friends page because his electronic footprint was still there and I guess it made it more vivid that, for some, one minute you’re there and the next thing you’re gone.

It’s no different to messages in the paper or threads on here saying RIP and the such

So well said

yunki
    Free Member

Most sinister post of the week award goes to monkeyfudger 🙁

Drac

Is it just me,or is this a strange thing to do?

People deal with bereavement in many different ways, saying goodbye in an almost public way on their Facebook page appears to me a rather nice way to do it. RIP threads appears on here for celebs, famous people and sadly members of this parish, no difference there to using Facebook.

I’ve also done similar to IanMunro, only recently deleted a friend from my contacts who died a few years back now. It was strangely difficult even for someone that deals with death almost daily.

**** hell now I’ve just burst into tears as I’ve realised it’s almost 3 years now. Hahaha! What a attention seeker. 😀

butcher

I think people have probably spoken to the dead for as long as they’ve been able to talk. Doesn’t really matter what medium they use.

vermillion
    Free Member

Doesn’t really matter what medium they use.

A spiritual one is preferable

senorj

I don’t really do Facebook ,but I still have my dad’s mobile number in my phone…….

hora
    Free Member

Oh stop the FB slagging off. Dont use it if its below you. I think its great- can see what good friends are doing, organise and share WITH FRIENDS. Afterall you post to friends viewing only. I like it. Love you nan etc is a way of coping and healing in the grieving process btw.

Drac

Oh stop the FB slagging off.

Just nod and smile at people slating a Social media on a forum.

hora
    Free Member

Class 😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not slagging off Facebook really, I just got fed up of some of the pish people spouted on it, it was even worse than this place!. I’ll remember to check with you, the next time I fancy expressing an opinion hora.

hora
    Free Member

FB is great for movember update tashes. FACT 8)

Northwind

Facebook walls and the like aren’t 1-to-1 communication so no, not especially weird- you’re not posting it there for the dead person to read. Probably.

Drac

As long as you’re not sending them Candy Crush invites.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or tinder invites….

ssbnreso
    Free Member

Or putting photos of the deceased’s Sunday dinner on……

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Posting messages to dead people on social networks.’ is closed to new replies.