• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by br.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Posting a shock, who with and bother to insure?
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hiya Chaps

I’m posting a shock, who’s best to go with now and is there any point in insuring? Or will most not honour he insurance if the parcel contains a nitrogen filled unit?

Cheers

Ricks

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Posted a shock twice recently and used RM both times.
    When they asked what it was I just said it was abide part.
    Let all of the air out of it first
    I insured it for full value
    Cheers
    Steve

RoterStern
    Free Member

Have RM changed their policy then? I can remember a thread on here a while back about someone having a shock confiscated on the way to being serviced for being a dangerous item and then RM selling it on to an online auction.

rickon
    Free Member

Nope, same policy. They x-ray items, so even if you let air out they have no idea it’s not pressurised. But it actually still is, due to the nitrogen charge.

Based on their rules, they can chuck it in the bin. Which they have definitely done before.

grahamt1980

I have used hermes for all recent shocks, seatposts and forks.
    Do shop pickup too which saves messing around with the post office

rickon
    Free Member

Gone with DPS Interlink service. They’re pretty cheap, and used by J-TECH. £16 for next day by 12pm insured. Which is pretty great.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

I’ve sent shocks RM many times since the hoo-ha on here with no issues.

rickon
    Free Member

*DPS = DPD

MSP

Based on their rules, they can chuck it in the binauction it off and make a nice profit from theft. Which they have definitely done before.

squealer
    Free Member

I sent my shock to j tech last week with Royal Mail.

I had a chat with the post office lady about it getting stopped and she said she’d never heard of that, it wasn’t part of their rules and it would definitely get there. It did arrive no problems but I have no idea whether she was right!

Dark-Side

I sent a shock RM a couple of weeks ago without issue.

rickon
    Free Member

Royal Mail’s Dangerous Goods is pretty clear that compressed gases aren’t allowed:

Gases
    (including flammable, non-flammable, toxic and compressed gases,
    gas cylinders for camping stoves, butane, ethane, refills for lighters,
    fire extinguishers and scuba tanks; also see Aerosols and Lighters)

Unless you get rid of the nitrogen charge in your shock, then you’re shipping compressed gas.

You may well be fine, and probably 99% of people get away with it. But if you do send your shock by Royal Mail – don’t chuffing insure it. You wont be able to claim for it once they realise what you sent.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

X-ray machines HMMMMMMMMM that again!!!

br
    Free Member

If it’s for a service, then Loco does a deal which includes pickup and return.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Posting a shock, who with and bother to insure?’ is closed to new replies.