Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Posting a light and battery combo via royal mail?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ive sold my light, sending it in original box with battery, light unit and mounts etc yet been reading on royal mail that it may get inspected and even disposed of????

any ideas if this will actually happen or shall i try and send via a courier?? parcel force or something similar?

wwaswas

use a courier. Myhermes do a cheap deal.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

myhermes has batteries as excluded items too

seriously WTF why have batteries after all the years theyve existed suddenly become excluded?

neninja
    Free Member

Just notify the Post Office that it’s got a battery that is integral and inside an electrical item (and not loose). They’ll put a hazardous battery sticker on and it will be posted normally.

It’s loose cells and batteries that they won’t accept.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh cool, cheers danny! its not connected to the light unit itself though, like it seems to suggest it should be on the RM site? surely it would be safer to have it disconnected than connected? 😆

i will try that, last thing i want is them disposing of it 🙁

nbt

while the posters in post offices and so blithely state thatall batteroes are now banned, the actual regs say that it’s batteries above a certain totle level – can’t recall if it’s measured in amphours or whatever – but it’s far above thew level you;ll get in most MTBlight

here it is

Batteries – lithium ion/polymer batteries contained in/connected to an electronic device
    Each package must contain no more than four cells or two batteries installed in equipment. The maximum net quantity of cells or batteries is 5kg per package. Watt-hour rating must not exceed 20Wh per cell or 100Wh per battery. Each cell and battery must be of a type proven to meet the requirements of each test in the UN Manual of Tests and Criteria, Part III, section 38.3. Batteries are subject to these tests irrespective of whether the cells of which they are composed have been so tested.

Cells and batteries must be manufactured under a quality management programme as specified in the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions for the Safe Transport of Dangerous Goods by Air. Cells or batteries that are defective for safety reasons, or that have been damaged, are forbidden. Any person preparing or offering cells or batteries with or in equipment for transport must receive adequate instruction on the requirements commensurate with their responsibilities. Cells and batteries must be protected against short circuit.

The equipment containing cells or batteries must be packed in strong rigid packaging and must be secured against movement within the outer packaging and packed to prevent accidental activation. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.
    Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent in isolation are prohibited. Please see http://www.royalmail.com/prohibitedgoods/business

http://www.royalmail.com/business/help-and-support/tell-me-about-restricted-goods

You justneed to tell the post office that you;ve hecked the regs and what you’re sending meets the criteria

neninja
    Free Member

ahh cool, cheers danny! its not connected to the light unit itself though, like it seems to suggest it should be on the RM site? surely it would be safer to have it disconnected than connected?

i will try that, last thing i want is them disposing of it

It will be fine but don’t send it with the light connected to the power pack. If the switch gets knocked in transit it could power on and melt the carry case etc.

The power pack is a sealed hard case unit with a pcb and fuel gauge so counts as a electrical device the same way a USB power pack would. That’s my take on it and I’ve not had a single item refused.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

thanks danny – phew ill give it a go and pray to god they dont dispose of it

its defo not connected (which id never do anyways even if RM suggested it, i know how hot the lights can get)

ill just tell em its a light with a integrated battery

rOcKeTdOg

Download the “sticker” for LiIon batteries, stick your phone number in the space provided attach to parcel and that’s it.

aidso
    Free Member

“”
    It will be fine but don’t send it with the light connected to the power pack. If the switch gets knocked in transit it could power on and melt the carry case etc.
    “”

I was told the opposite of this by a Royal Mail clerk. I sell MagicShine lights and was told that they wouldn’t accept it unless it was all plugged in. I said surely that’s more unsafe than having the items separately…nope.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Posting a light and battery combo via royal mail?’ is closed to new replies.