Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Posting a bike with insurance – whose responsibility?
  • a11y

I’m advertising a bike for sale but can’t find a reasonable price for insurance for posting it I’m not comfortable sending a ~£2,000 bike uninsured, but the best quote I’ve found is a fraction over £100 via paisleyfreight.

A potential buyer’s asked if I’d package up the bike and THEY arrange their choice of courier, without insurance. Price is a lot more reasonable. As the seller, where would I stand if damage occurred in transit, or the package went missing? Obviously I’m still the seller, but does it change any responsibility if the buyer is the one arranging the courier and their choice is for no insurance?

For comparison:
    £2k bike posted insured = £101
    Bike posted (with standard £5/kilo insurance) = £21

I’m hoping for some expert advice here. Cheers.

cyclistm
    Free Member

If they arrange the courier its their responsibility.

Takes lots of pictures of the bike packed up before it goes though.

cp

Prior agreement that for the price they pay you get it to them, then it’s your problem.

Prior agrement that for the price they pay it gets it to your front door, and they arrange any transport from there, then it’s their problem.

As above, you need A LOT of pics of it inc close up detail and pics along the tube profiles before you send it, along with preferably a dated newspaper or similar in the pics.

tomhoward

If they arrange the courier its their responsibility

This.

If you send, insurance is your responsibility.

br
    Free Member

If they arrange the courier its their responsibility

This.

If you send, insurance is your responsibility.

Disagree, as until you get the cash, it’s your problem.

a11y

Disagree, as until you get the cash, it’s your problem.

Sorry, can you clarify? Payment would be made prior to any delivery being arranged, so are you saying it would be my problem until I get the cash? Not sure I follow you…

br
    Free Member

Unless they are paying with cash, any other method could be stopped if the purchaser is at all unhappy.

And tbh if I was spending £2.5k on a bike I’d come and pick it up – irrelevent how far, or wouldn’t buy it from.

maccruiskeen

What channel are you selling through? In most circumstances once you’ve received the money and the buyer’s courier has collected (and you’ve got a receipt for collection from the courier) the liability is the buyer’s

If you’re acting through ebay/paypal theres a vulnerability which is if a paypal dispute is raised ebay would look to you for shipping / tracking proof. If the buyer is a shark they can claim then never received it, you can’t prove you’ve shipped it (in eBay’s eyes its you’re responsibility and they’ll won’t proof and tracking details that you’ve shipped) and paypal can claw the money back and refund the buyer on the basis that you appear not to have completed the sale. This is even more the case if you have a collect in person but payment by paypal.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Him arranging carriage makes it his responsibility.

a11y

Unless they are paying with cash, any other method could be stopped if the purchaser is at all unhappy.

And tbh if I was spending £2.5k on a bike I’d come and pick it up – irrelevent how far, or wouldn’t buy it from.
    OK, thanks. Aware of that – but from a legal point of view if the buyer arranges the courier – without insurance – and the seller could demonstrate reasonable care in packaging it up for sale, what then?

I agree, personally I’d prefer to inspect a bike of this value in person, but offering postage opens up a LOT more buyers. Bike is a nearly-new, used 4 times bike and I’ve done my best with a shitload of closeup photos to show condition.

chip
    Free Member

To send uninsured would be foolish I would have thought.

To claim against damage caused (if insured) would be down to whoever arranged transportation as they have the contract with courier.

What if it arrives damaged and the buyer blames this on poor packaging on your behalf , then there could be arguments.

Personally I the seller would send and only with the parcel insured for its full value.

And when you package it up ask yourself would you be confident it would survive being thrown out of a first floor window onto a concrete patio.

If the answer is no , repackage .

I have learnt my lesson the hard way.

a11y

What channel are you selling through? In most circumstances once you’ve received the money and the buyer’s courier has collected (and you’ve got a receipt for collection from the courier) the liability is the buyer’s

If you’re acting through ebay/paypal theres a vulnerability which is if a paypal dispute is raised ebay would look to you for shipping / tracking proof. If the buyer is a shark they can claim then never received it, you can’t prove you’ve shipped it (in eBay’s eyes its you’re responsibility and they’ll won’t proof and tracking details that you’ve shipped) and paypal can claw the money back and refund the buyer
    Trying PinkBike. Also possibly STW classifieds but it’s a DH bike so maybe not! Debating ebay too. Good point you’ve made, I’d not be letting any courier take away a package without a receipt.

a11y

What gets me is how bike shops manage to post bikes of this value (and higher) – what do they do for insurance?

tomhoward

What gets me is how bike shops manage to post bikes of this value (and higher) – what do they do for insurance?

Have an agreement with a courier company/take the hit.

br
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Aware of that – but from a legal point of view if the buyer arranges the courier – without insurance – and the seller could demonstrate reasonable care in packaging it up for sale, what then?

Then you ‘may’ get your money back…

Take the least risky option, offer the bike for sale at £2600 posted.

maccruiskeen

In most instances retailers will have a package of insurances – liability, business interruption etc and included in that is cover for goods shipped out to customers, as well and goods coming inwards. But I expect in most circumstance ‘take the hit’ is what they do.

a11y

Take the least risky option, offer the bike for sale at £2600 posted.

I did already try to sell previously with a ‘posted’ price but no takers. With the ability to minimise postage costs it allows more opportunity for a sale. But yes, it’s a risk I’ll need to consider…

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you try Parcel Monkey?

Found them more affordable than others for insurance in the past anyway.

Though to be honest I’d go with this…

If they arrange the courier its their responsibility.

Takes lots of pictures of the bike packed up before it goes though.

chip
    Free Member

Last year when considering a second hand high end bike I saw some corkers, but if too far for me to collect they reluctantly got crossed off my list.

One mans mint is another mans shabby,
    And some sellers where complete chancers who would con their own grandmothers.

Swop all the parts off current bike over to new then rebuild old with all the crap they had previously swapped out through wear. No point having high end components if they are knackered.

I would also prefer this option as a seller as I would know the buyer was happy.
    And not claiming the money back saying the bike was not as advertised, which some people would pull if suffering from buyers remorse.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Posting a bike with insurance – whose responsibility?’ is closed to new replies.