Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Posting a bike to China..?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Would you? Should I?
    I’ve got a nice MTB for sale on eBay. Asking price is £1000. I’ve not had much interest but it’s the wrong time of year and I’m in no rush to sell it.
    I’ve had a message asking me If I will post to China. I’ve sold stuff in Europe before and it’s been OK but I once sent some wheels to Greece and that took a month to arrive and sort of made me a bit wary.
    China? Phhhhhhhh. I’m not sure. Gut feeling is NOOOOOOOOOO!
    What d’ya reckon?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How are they going to claim the cash back…
    Mate sd his dh bike to eastern Europe but manages to verify the seller via dh results and pink bike. Remember if it sounds too good…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m in Hong Kong. Whenever anyone posts a bike for sale here, there is a flurry of haggling, absurd low-ball offers are apparently very common. Stuff actually sells for next-to-nothing.

If you’re being offered roughly what you think you could get for it in the UK, I’d be very, very wary.

kcal

next, coals to Newcastle, who do you think? 🙂

dave360

Two things

1) I live in Shanghai, and there are a lot of cycling enthusiasts who pay top money for classic Euro bike stuff.

2) Before I moved here, I sold a USE SUB fork on Ebay to a bloke in China. Despite my misgivings, he paid up as good as gold.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

I sold my Columbus air tubed Floyd TT frameset to a chap in China two years back cost £118 tracked with dhl and not an issue sold through ebay as well the guy was over the moon and now friends with him and email/face time, he said euro frames and parts are hard to get over there.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’m not sure. It just sounds like a whole heap of grief to me.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bloody hell.
    Using some reasonably accurate dimensions, DHL want £386!
    TNT won’t quote.
    £270 (insured) at Parcel Monkey.

Andy

I wouldn’t risk it Pete. No way if proving wrong if buyer says it didn’t arrive, and claims refund through PayPal. Remember eBay sides heavily with buyer these days, on any dispute. Basically the seller is guilty until proven guilty 🙁

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Paid 200+ to Oz so sounds right

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Andy, yes, my thoughts entirely.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Doesn’t sound outrageous.

Tried to send a BMX withing the UK, with the front wheel off, in a box, so not anywhere near the size of a ‘bike’ box recently.

Parcelforce – £48 + insurance
    ParcelPete – nope, they only do upto 140cm in a large parcel if it’s quite thin in the other dimensions, XXL only goes upto a box shape not long parcels.
    In the end there was 1 company that would ship it for a reasonable price (then my garage wall got blown off and the box got wet, but that’s another problem).

Have they all gotten more strict? I remember sending frames for £10 and bikes for £20.

Travis

Previous buying history?
    Ask him some bike questions? (show his knowledge of the bike)

Does he have a Taobao shop? (Chinas version of ebay) they have star ratings on their giving feedback (top right hand corner)

Is he paying by Paypal? It’s quite popular over here now in China.
    Or have a look at Alipay. (Chinas version of Paypal, which is run by Alibaba)
    I think Alipay hold the money, until the transaction is complete, then they release it on everyone being satisfied.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s got 70+ feedback at 100% and he’s bought bike bits before. I’ve added the global shipping service to the listing and suggested he looks into it.

dave360

Crikey, if he goes for those courier prices, just bump it up a bit more and deliver it personally. Might be fun. He’s not in Shanghai perchance?

spooky_b329

Look into the eBay Global Shipping program and where your responsibility ends. If it sounds good, relist with global shipping and let the buyer ‘rebuy’ it, the programme will charge him to cover ask shipping and import taxes and I think you are only responsible to get it to eBay’s global warehouse in the UK

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

DHL are good but are very expensive.All depends how much hassle you want in sending it to China.Be fine I would expect but just a lot of hassle might be worth waiting a bit in this country but saying that as you well know second hand is not great over hear at present and a lot of cycle shops are really struggling so maybe China is the answer where the money is!!!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Posting a bike to China..?’ is closed to new replies.