Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Posties losing their bikes
  • MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I had a postie in my shop this morning who told me that over the next two years their bikes are being phased out nationwide and replaced with vans with ‘golf trolleys’. There will be one van replacing every two bikes.
    Reasons cited are health and safety, apparantly management are unable to force the posties to wear helmets on their bikes.
    Surely this is an ecological step backwards?

aP
    Free Member

Doesn’t it have a lot to do with them now being parcel deliver people rather than letters and they can’t physically carry the parcels for their rounds?
    It does seem a step backwards, but then it’ll be German in about 4 months time anyway, so who cares?

oldfart

been doing that round here for 2 years .

Harry_the_Spider

One of our local postmen got knocked off his bike and killed quite recently. You can see why they are doing it.

verses

Harry_the_Spider – Member

One of our local postmen got knocked off his bike and killed quite recently. You can see why they are doing it.

If one of them is killed in an accident in their post van will they take them away too?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Nothing to do with helmets, it’s all about not carrying anything these days.

My best mates a postie. He says the clever management have just realised you can’t actually push the trollies about in the snow (unsurprisingly!). Or in flats. Or on houses with steps up to the path. Etc.

And the vans don’t work too well either in the snow but they’ve committed to buying something like 4000 Corsa vans (and thousands of PDAs too for the signing of recorded deliveries) they now don’t really want.

Don’t expect to get any mail during winter from now on….

rootes1

if you want to read more (everuthing, rants etc) then head over to the CTC forum… + CTC has been running a campaign to save the postie bike

takisawa2

They should use a helicopter like Pat.
    SDS. The future.

Drac

Old news been phasing out for years.

We had some of the worst snow and got deliveries most days with Corsa vans and trolleys. The days we didn’t is because the city boys couldn’t get their truck into the industrial estate so turned around and went home.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Posties losing their bikes’ is closed to new replies.