Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Postal order (yes, in 2016)
  • thenorthwind

Just been offered a postal order for something I have for sale (niche object of low value, on another forum).

The potential buyer seems a bit funny (if I told you what forum you might not be surprised), but in a harmless rather than suspicious sort of way. Any scams using postal orders?

riddoch

Basically if they are someone who doesn’t have standard current account so not having cheques or Paypal it would be the only way of transferring money.
    If you take them to the post office to get cash before posting probably even safer/quicker than a cheque as you won’t have to wait for it to clear.
    I had to get a postal order for something a year or so ago, didn’t know they still did them, last time before that would have been for my UCAS application 20 odd years ago.

sandwicheater

Have a client who pays each year via postal order. We just treat it as a cheque, never had a problem. Hold off posting until funds received/cleared and you’ll not have a problem.

mrsfry
    Free Member

I use postal order sometimes and i’m not dodgy 🙁
    Wouldnn’t touch PP with a poop stick and i don’t do cheques

tomhoward

Go on, what weird niche forum are we talking?

thenorthwind

Agreed, it seems fairly bombproof from a seller’s perspective.

Since you asked: Volvo Owners Club forum

docgeoffyjones

I had one from someone wanting a WW2 torch i had for sale. It was great took it and the parcel to the post office cashed it in and used the money to pay for postage. Definatley better than a cheque

thenorthwind

Definatley better than a cheque

Yes, in the same way that Magura hydraulic rim brakes are better than cantis, when everyone else has discs 😈

gobuchul
    Free Member

Very expensive. 12.5% over £10!

Makes paypal look cheap.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It’s the quickest & most secure way for prisoners to have money sent in.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Postal orders to cost more than the actual amount you are sending, due to paying for a service and the postal order which has it’s own ref (it looks so pretty) as well as putting a name on it gives better tracking of it actually being sent and cashed.

I like it and think they are worth it. Don’t really want to send strangers cheques as i am pants with money (i spend it before it goes out-of-date)

chewkw
    Free Member

I pay by cheque, money transfer or cash straight into their accounts.

I don’t use PayPal and only very occasionally card …

aracer
    Free Member

If it’s low value then presumably you don’t have a Volvo for sale?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Could be Flashy’s old Volvo, that’s not worth much now.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Postal order (yes, in 2016)’ is closed to new replies.